Why become a member? ×

70's Fender P Bass v Xotic XP-1T

Papabull

Ok here we go........................ does anyone have any thoughts re the choice between an oldidh (ie Mid 70's Fender P) and a new Xotic XP-1T 4 string? Would love to know your thoughts. especially pros and cons plus what you would choose and why???

Cheers all BC's

Papabull

Ooh, you're comparing apples and pears, there. The Xotic 4 has the option of passive/active modes and is a modern bass which offers both vintage and modern tones. But it won't have the mid-70s P-bass mojo, no way! It depends what you're after.

I had a 76P for 38 years, and it was bloody great. Latterly I've played various Dingwall P-type basses, and they're great, too. I haven't played a Xotic but I imagine it will be closer to a modern Dingwall than a 70s P.

A 70s P would be perfect if you want a 70s P sound and want to buy into the current 'cool' retro vibe. I'm guessing the Xotic will be able to do a reasonable imitation of a 70s P in passive mode, but will accommodate you in many other ways too, be more reliable, better built, with better electrics and be much more versatile. You pays your money and you takes your choice! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366070512' post='2048113']
Ooh, you're comparing apples and cats, there. The Xotic 4 has the option of passive/active modes and is a modern bass which offers both vintage and modern tones. But it won't have the mid-70s P-bass mojo, no way! It depends what you're after.

I had a 76P for 38 years, and it was bloody great. Latterly I've played various Dingwall P-type basses, and they're great, too. I haven't played a Xotic but I imagine it will be closer to a modern Dingwall than a 70s P.

A 70s P would be perfect if you want a 70s P sound and want to buy into the current 'cool' retro vibe. I'm guessing the Xotic will be able to do a reasonable imitation of a 70s P in passive mode, but will accommodate you in many other ways too, be more reliable, better built, with better electrics and be much more versatile. You pays your money and you takes your choice! :)
[/quote]

Fixed it :) pretty much this.

You're definitely comparing opposite ends of the P-bass spectrum, have a look at some of the passive fender clones out there too (Lakland for instance). Might be a good compromise, if you just want a precision to be a precision, if you want more versatility I don't think you'll get much better than the xotic.

The Xotic will be , in all probability , much better made than a 1970's era P Bass , and the passive sound of the newer bass will be a very good example of the classic Precision Bass sound . The Xotic preamp is a very well designed one and gives a few more options , but all with the overall flavour of a good Precision Bass . I wouldn't rubbish the 1970's Fender , but those basses from that era were notoriously inconsistant when they left the factory and have now had a subsequent four decades of use and abuse to develop new problems as well . Bear in mind that in buying an old Fender you might be taking on a load of problems in terms of construction faults , shortcomings and niggles . The Xotic basses will be far more consistantly good quality and are built to a far higher standard and much closer tolerances than 1970's Fender ever were . In some ways , despite being both based on the same design you are not really comparing like with like in so much as the Fender was a mass - produced factory - made bass of a particular era , whereas the Xotic is a [u]very[/u] high quality hand made boutique bass . If both the basses are a similar price , be aware that in the case of the 1970's Fender you are buying a far inferior quality bass and paying mainly for the romance associated with its' age . I'm not saying that to be provocative , just to be frank about what you will be getting for your money . Ultimately , if you want a vintage Fender and that is what will make you happiest then that is what you should buy and there are some great ones out there if you can find the right one , but if you are looking for a bass to use as a working tool and like the flawless playabilty and sound of high -end basses then then the Xotic has far more to recommend it , in my opinion .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366070512' post='2048113']
I had a 76P for 38 years, and it was bloody great.

[/quote]

If you had a 1976 P Bass for 38 years that means you are living at least one year in the future . Can you give me any tips on the outcome of any sporting fixtures in the coming twelve months so I can get a bet on , and are we going to have a hot summer this year ?

Edited by Dingus

personally I'd always go for the xotic: the only disadvantage I can see is that the relative value of the Fender will [i]probably [/i]go up. But if it's a keeper, who cares?

and I'm not sure about the placement of the mini switches...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1366111973' post='2048385']
If you had a 1976 P Bass for 38 years that means you are living at least one year in the future. Can you give me any tips on the outcome of any sporting fixtures in the coming twelve months so I can get a bet on, and are we going to have a hot summer this year ?[/quote]

The winner of the 2.55 at Newmarket this Thursday will be [i]Gatling Boy[/i].
The winning numbers in tomorrow's Lottery draw are: 04, 13, 17, 29, 35 and 42.
If you invested in gold, sell it - SOON.

We are definitely going to have a hot summer - causing an outbreak of scrotal adhesion.
Buy talc, Vaseline and Savlon.

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 1

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366114796' post='2048438']
We are definitely going to have a hot summer - causing an outbreak of scrotal adhesion.
Buy talc, Vaseline and Savlon.
[/quote]

Scrotal Adhesion - [u][i]the [/i][/u]Indie band to watch out for in 2014 .

Talc , Vaseline and Savlon - even if the hot weather doesn't materialize there's plenty there for an interesting night in with Mrs Dingus . Or, ineed , alone .

Edited by Dingus
  • Haha 1

Thanks to everyone that has contributed here.............. what an amazing community. Seriously good to get such interesting views. It may well be a hot summer but i want to make an informed and rational decision and stay cool (including my 'love spuds!!) no need for talc or vaseline.

Thanks again...... the Papabull