Why become a member? ×

Feeling a bit worried now.......

lee4

Having got myself a P style bass,and publicly stating on BC that it is the Lurchers Landing Gear,I'm now finding that it's,well,uncomfortable.
Either the fretting hand is comfy,or the plucking hand.
I've wanted a Precision type bass for a while now,and am feeling worried that something so right is becoming wrong.
All suggestions gratefully recieved(except ones that say "grow some balls and just play the thing,weedy boy").

Badboy1984 sounds like he's hit on a good idea, J necks are lovely little creatures and maybe the problem is the extra thickness of a stock P neck is playing havoc with your fretting hand.
Or, of course it could be your strap, ahem, length...

I went from a Yamaha RBX460 to a Squier Jazz and the necks were chalk and cheese, took me an AGE to get used to the Jazz, so maybe whatever the problem is could be ironed out with simply playing it...

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1366054090' post='2047849']
Having got myself a P style bass,and publicly stating on BC that it is the Lurchers Landing Gear,I'm now finding that it's,well,uncomfortable.
Either the fretting hand is comfy,or the plucking hand.
I've wanted a Precision type bass for a while now,and am feeling worried that something so right is becoming wrong.
All suggestions gratefully recieved(except ones that say "grow some balls and just play the thing,weedy boy").
[/quote]
It's not becoming wrong...it was perhaps never right for you. Give it a while, but if it still feels uncomfortable kick it to the kerb. Musical instruments should never feel uncomfortable.

Find something that feels right for you ...and ignore what everyone else is playing.

Breakthrough at last!Rehearsed with the beastie last night,and it felt great.I've put a Mono strap on it,and just persevered.
For everyones info,the problem was with the body rather than the neck(odd,I know).I could'nt find a position where there was'nt uncomfortabler preassure on my forearm.After some strap height adjustment'and repositioning the stap button higher up(like a Specter.This makes the neck lift giving IMHO a better playing position) things have settled down.
Jezza,I was playing a Status Groove before,which has a smaller body.I can get used to necks quickly,it's the body that causes me grief!I can't play anything without decent contouring on it.
Badboy,I may get a J neck at some point,but for now I'll carry on with what I've got.
Thanks to everyone for your advice.