Why become a member? ×

If you want me to stay

The Hat

I think so, as long as you keep it simple to start with.

Forget the slapping for the moment, stick to the basic arrangement and leave the little fills. Once you've got the basics down you can work on adding the fills. Then you can try the whole thing popping the notes. :)

It might help if you can practice with a computer to slow things down a little. [url="http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net/"]Best Practice[/url] is a very handy (and free!) tool for Windows users, that will also come in useful for working stuff out by ear.

Edited by Musky

It certainly a fun tune to play, as mentioned above you can play it in a simple way to start and add the fills as you get to grips with it or like me just play it the same each time and enjoy the groove.

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But If You Let Me Stay, then I'll pretend to be Terence Trent D'Arby and change my name to [color=#333333]Sananda Maitreya ...[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333] ;)[/color][/font][/size][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

Agreed with the above, one of those songs you can play as simply or more difficult if you want.
In fact if you get the groove down you could probably get away with playing almost anything over it.

I'm sure I've got an old magazine transcription with the dots somewhere if that helps you at all?

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1365780498' post='2044480']
Would appreciate any help. As a beginner, even though its not a hard tune, any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

As well as the advice/tips given so far, I would say to work on it in small chunks at a time, using the slow down soft ware that Musky linked. As others have said, forget about the fills for now and get the root notes down first. Then move to the next section and do the same. When you can playalong to the song using just root notes, then work on adding the fills.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1365796223' post='2044765']
If I'm honest, I don't even know what notes to play
[/quote]

Again, I suggest you use the slow down link that Musky posted. Start with the first minute of the song. With the song slowed down, try to play along, imitating what's being played. Use trial and error on the fretboard until you have the right notes. This is great practice for sharpening the ear. You dont have to play every note for now. Just get the general gist and you can do the fills later. To get an idea of the notes use this link : [url="http://chordify.net/"]http://chordify.net/[/url]

Go onto You Tube, find your song, copy the url, and paste it into the box on the site. This will give you an idea of whats being played. I say "idea", because often the bass does not play the same chord as say, the guitar or piano. Plus the site may not have the correct transcription.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1365613882' post='2041854']
By Sly and the family Stone. Is a beginner friendly song to learn ?
[/quote]

The notes are easy, but playing the groove will be challenging.

So do it.