Why become a member? ×

High praise for John East

ShaunB

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1414773329' post='2593200']
It's a doddle. The pre in my stingray didn't require any soldering as it had little screw connections. Just take your time and follow the simple yet detailed instructions and it'll be fine.[/quote] not even for the battery?

I'm a JE fan too, though I never had the pleasure of meeting him. I have a U-Retro, a P-Retro and a 2-band installed in different basses, they all sound wonderful!
Thinking of getting a 3-band for my Classic 5 Stingray, hence the question above :)

Yes you would need to solder two cables for the battery unless you wanted to use bullet connectors or similar. My stingray is a clone so I had to actually route out and fit a battery box so the joining of cables was the least of my issues. The pre comes complete with heat shrink tubing for any joints like that.
Yeah the screw connections are quite small but no more difficult to use than larger ones. If you're worried at all about installation then any guitar tech would do it in a couple of minutes.

+1 to everything above - i had the pleasure of meeting John a while ago when my ACG-01 pre needed the treble cable lengthening to fit in my Stingray 4 - after consulting with Alan at ACG he suggested i take it John and he was great to deal with, a real gent. A few days earlier Stanley Clarke was at his workshop having his ACG-01 adjusted, so we JE/ACG users are in good company indeed.