Why become a member? ×

Is it really worth changing my 12AX7/ECC83 valve?

discreet

[b]Is it [i]really [/i]worth changing my 12AX7/ECC83 valve?[/b]

I'm sure this has already been covered, so apologies for making you lose the will to live, but...

As a valve noob, I humbly call on the BC valve-geek massive to answer me this basic question: Is it [i]really [/i]worth changing the 12AX7/ECC83 pre-amp valve in my DHA VT1 EQ?

Having read various contradictory articles on t'interwebz, I'm now completely confused. Is it worth spending money on a vintage Mullard or Brimar? Are their modern equivalents any good? Should I stop agonising over piddling crap like this and simply practice the bass more?

This modern valve claims to be as good as a vintage Mullard. Is it?
[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1396"]http://www.watfordva...ail.asp?id=1396[/url]

There is a 12AX7EH in there now, which I believe to be a Russian-made Electro-Harmonix jobbie. Should I leave well alone? Is it all just snake-oil like bass woods, gold cables and replacement bridges?

Is the difference negligible, or will it actually be some kind of revelation - making me happy, fulfilled and sexually attractive to young women? Or is it a load of festering tummy-rubbish?

[center][/center]
I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

The Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH/ECC83 is one of the best gutar and bass preamp tubes out there. My only complaint about it is that it is a little larger diameter than most tubes of this type, so I can't use it everywhere I want to due to the configuration of various amplifiers' tube socket shields.

More about tubes, from the folks who know tubes:
[url="http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/12AX7-Tube-Review#eh12ax7"]http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/12AX7-Tube-Review#eh12ax7[/url]
[url="http://tubedepot.com/12ax7reviews.html"]http://tubedepot.com/12ax7reviews.html[/url]

This:

' This random placement causes obstacles for electrons and when encountered this interference can cause noise, slow down electron flow and sound deterioration affecting the quality of the sound of the vacuum tube.'

sounds like absolute twaddle to me. Replacing the cheapo Chinese valves in my SVP with groove tubes did make it quieter and less microphonic, though.

Why do you want to be more attractive to women anyway? You're beating them off with a sh1tty stick as it is. I'd just practise the bass a bit more.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1364132241' post='2022194']
The Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH/ECC83 is one of the best gutar and bass preamp tubes out there.
[/quote]

That's what I wanted to hear! The best option = do nothing! ;) Thank you.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1364132537' post='2022198']
I'd just practise the bass a bit more.
[/quote]

OK, then! Thanks for the advice, B.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1364132742' post='2022204']
Try both and see which you like best, but if that means buying a Mullard, I wouldn't bother.
[/quote]

Thanks Sean, I won't bother. :D

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1364134789' post='2022240']
If it ain't broke... ....but if you want to join the swelling ranks of tube fiddlers...
[/quote]

Wise words, John... which I will heed. I waste enough time as it is, without tube-fiddling (fnarr). :crazy:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364130972' post='2022170']
[b]Is it [i]really [/i]worth changing my 12AX7/ECC83 valve?[/b]

I'm sure this has already been covered, so apologies for making you lose the will to live, but...

As a valve noob, I humbly call on the BC valve-geek massive to answer me this basic question: Is it [i]really [/i]worth changing the 12AX7/ECC83 pre-amp valve in my DHA VT1 EQ?

Having read various contradictory articles on t'interwebz, I'm now completely confused. Is it worth spending money on a vintage Mullard or Brimar? Are their modern equivalents any good? Should I stop agonising over piddling crap like this and simply practice the bass more?

This modern valve claims to be as good as a vintage Mullard. Is it?
[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1396"]http://www.watfordva...ail.asp?id=1396[/url]

There is a 12AX7EH in there now, which I believe to be a Russian-made Electro-Harmonix jobbie. Should I leave well alone? Is it all just snake-oil like bass woods, gold cables and replacement bridges?

Is the difference negligible, or will it actually be some kind of revelation - making me happy, fulfilled and sexually attractive to young women? Or is it a load of festering tummy-rubbish?

[center][/center]
I thank you! :)
[/quote]

You will go a long way before you beat a Mullard ECC83 or 82 IMHO. The EH12Ax7 i fit as standard is very good valve for the money but its hard to match the tone of great British NOS valve.

[quote name='DHA' timestamp='1364751647' post='2030418']
[size=4]You will go a long way before you beat a Mullard ECC83 or 82 IMHO. The EH12Ax7 i fit as standard is very good valve for the money but its hard to match the tone of great British NOS valve.[/size]
[/quote]

Thanks, Dave! :) How would you say the Mullard sounds in comparison to the EH? I'm after a big, round, meaty big and bouncy bass tone - clean(ish), but tending towards a nice organic crunch when pushed.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364752068' post='2030427']
Thanks, Dave! :) How would you say the Mullard sounds in comparison to the EH? I'm after a big, round, meaty big and bouncy bass tone - clean(ish), but tending towards a nice organic crunch when pushed.
[/quote]remember I am a guitarist!, but lower gain and more grunt, smoother if that makes sense

[quote name='DHA' timestamp='1364753189' post='2030450']
remember I am a guitarist!, but lower gain and more grunt, smoother if that makes sense
[/quote]

You're a WHAT?? :D ;)
Seriously though, inevitably I'm going to have to try one, just to satisfy my curiosity...
can you recommend a source..?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1364752781' post='2030440']
I tend to only replace tubes when their symptoms of planned obsolescence kicks in. If it still works there's no need to replace.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll certainly bear that in mind. :)

I'm a big fan of Mullards. Things just sound better with them in. Or they don't. The things that don't, don't sound any different no matter what you put in em. The things that sound different with different valves in always sound best with Mullards in to me. They don't sound of anything in particular, but they let stuff sound at its best. ie, the tone and gain controls work better. There's more detail to signal.

Good nick valves (rather than NOS) are where it's at for me. You can always sell them for the same price. Especially ECC83s and EEC82s. They last.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1364754099' post='2030462']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Things just sound better with them in... ...[/font][/color]Good nick valves (rather than NOS) are where it's at for me.
[/quote]

Thanks for this... I've done a fair bit of Googling for NOS already, but could you suggest a source for 'good nick'...?

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1364132537' post='2022198']
This:

' This random placement causes obstacles for electrons and when encountered this interference can cause noise, slow down electron flow and sound deterioration affecting the quality of the sound of the vacuum tube.'

sounds like absolute twaddle to me. Replacing the cheapo Chinese valves in my SVP with groove tubes did make it quieter and less microphonic, though.

[/quote]

Yep, Watford Valves are well known for this, and they don't pack the valves very securely before they send them!

If you do go for a NOS or used vintage valve, don't restrict yourself to Mullard - they're amongst the most expensive because everyone knows they are good, but there are loads of good alternatives which also sound really great (Phillips, Brimar, Mazda for example)

I've popped one of the Harma Mullard clones in my DHA, it does sound more rounded in the lower frequencies to me, it has a bit of that all-valve amp bounce to it. But the EH valve that was in there is a fine tube, I've stuck that in my VOX Tonelab actually as it has more presence and is better for guitar IMO.

I have used a Phillips too and actually prefer it to the Mullard clone for dirty sounds. But each to their own! I think if you can get a couple of valves without spending too much, they are good to have on the shelf, and the DHA circuit definitely seems to allow the characteristics of the valve to shine through. (unlike my Genz amp which would probably sound the same with an energy saving lightbulb in there)