Why become a member? ×

Neck Movement?

lefrash

I've got a 4 string Fender Aerodyne Jazz. In the past 3 months I've noticed a slight click occasionally between the neck and the body. Its such a small movement that it doesnt affect anything about the bass. I've honestly though it was more to do with the strap buckle than the actual neck, but its definately the neck moving in the pocket.

Anyone got any idea why this might have came along? Or even if its something I should worry about? Bear in mind this has only been noticed in the past few months, it could have been like this for years!

Is this the situation where a bit of card board in the pocket would fix it?

Any suggestions appreciated
Fraser

This is perhaps both unrelated and unhelpful, but until I watched a video of Billy Sheehan explaining that his crazy playing used to shift the necks in their pockets on normal bass guitars, I had no idea it happened!

So perhaps it's quite a normal thing and nothing to worry about, but maybe I'm wrong. :unsure:

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1363970131' post='2020353']
I've got a 4 string Fender Aerodyne Jazz. In the past 3 months I've noticed a slight click occasionally between the neck and the body. Its such a small movement that it doesnt affect anything about the bass.[/quote]

I've had a Tele with that issue & if I lean a bit the one I have now will do it, my Gretch tho' is solid as a rock. In the past I've seen a Tele with a piece of sandpaper glued into the pocket, presumably to stop such a thing, but if it's definitely not affecting tuning I'd be inclined to leave it alone, though in theory as it keeps doing it it's bound to alter tuning eventually.

Well i've tightened the neck bolts very slightly, literally a millimetre of a turn, and it seems to have fixed it. No idea how its happened, so hopefully nothing comes of it. I wouldnt have thought the bolts would loosen through time.

Really, I was probably worrying over nothing!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1364066063' post='2021599']
Well i've tightened the neck bolts very slightly, literally a millimetre of a turn, and it seems to have fixed it. No idea how its happened, so hopefully nothing comes of it. I wouldnt have thought the bolts would loosen through time.

Really, I was probably worrying over nothing!
[/quote]

It'll probably be OK now. The bolts probably didn't come loose but maybe they compressed the wood of the body enough to allow a bit of movement.

The problem starts when you've got some neck movement but the bolts have been overtightened and the threads in the neck are weak and close to stripping. Even that can be fixed by plugging and redrilling the holes.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1364125582' post='2022072']
At the end of the day, how often if ever is anyone going to find the need to remove their neck? Why not just glue the thing in once and for all? End result, one solid guitar.
[/quote]

You can't access the truss rod on older Fenders (and some reissues) without taking the neck off, maybe twice a year. After 40 years or more the threads start to go ;)

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1364125582' post='2022072']
At the end of the day, how often if ever is anyone going to find the need to remove their neck? Why not just glue the thing in once and for all? End result, one solid guitar.
[/quote]

But if you glue it and some day the trussrod breaks or the neck twists then you get one solid guitar ready for the fireplace... :(

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1364212999' post='2023178']
I always thought the Fender 3 bolt was prone to this...
If it is just the bolts need tightening, then ok..but otherwise, just not good enough, IMO. for a decent priced instrument.
[/quote]

I've three Jazzes with 3 bolt micro-tilts. Two are rock solid and have nice snug neck pockets. The other, a '78, is a little prone to movement due to the worst neck joint of any instrument I've ever seen.