Why become a member? ×

Give me your recommendations

jakenewmanbass

Hi all,
I have an Alembic F1-X valve pre amp which I currently line in to my polytone which is a great sound but only suitable up to a certain size venue. I will likely have a tour in the Autumn so will need to get a larger output so I'm looking for your recommendations for a power amp and cab to go with it.
I love the pre amp as it's amazing for double and electric, and I like the mid punch of 12" cabs.

What do you guys Reckon???

Edited by jakesbass

I use a QSC PLX 1802 and it has loads of power - more than I will ever need. :)
I usually run it into a Schroeder 410, but I have a Schroeder 1210 for smaller gigs. You are welcome to try it out if you are in the Oxford area.

[quote name='Moose' post='207226' date='May 27 2008, 01:58 PM']I use a QSC PLX 1802 and it has loads of power - more than I will ever need. :)
I usually run it into a Schroeder 410, but I have a Schroeder 1210 for smaller gigs. You are welcome to try it out if you are in the Oxford area.[/quote]
I'm not in your area sadly, but that is a very kind offer anyway.
Jake

I've used an SWR stereo 800 for years - not very powerful on paper, but always sounds excellent with the Goliath II. It does get hot, and has a noisy fan...but nothing you'd notice on a gig. I've also got an Alembic preamp, and it sounds really good run into the front of a Euphonic Audio 500. In fact it sounds great run through everything... One thing to watch though, the Goliath II or any other cab that has a significant mid-cut (most 4x10s?) means a re-think of the Alembic eq settings. You have to really crank up the mids to get clarity...and go lightly with the bass end...but you probably know that already!

The best all round cab I've used is the EA CXL112. Not very big or heavy, very clear clean sound and works surprisingly well as a monitor on bigger stages.

BB

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='207232' date='May 27 2008, 02:01 PM']Bergantino powered cabs - IP112ER.[/quote]

A bit expensive though, isn't it? If you had a Bergantino 12" and a separate power amp it'd be a lot less.

Jake - how much noise are you looking to make with the new rig?

[quote name='The Funk' post='208238' date='May 28 2008, 05:50 PM']A bit expensive though, isn't it? If you had a Bergantino 12" and a separate power amp it'd be a lot less.

Jake - how much noise are you looking to make with the new rig?[/quote]
I would want to be comfortable in up to 1000 seaters, I will always be in the PA anyway but I want a good solid onstage sound. It will be an 8 piece band. Not loud at all, sensitive drummer, guit, keys, 4 bvs including me, cello and lead vocal.
The band has a very integrated sound, excellent ensemble and dynamics from pin drop to BIG sound and we make a good acoustic (onstage) sound which is just made bigger by PA.

Edited by jakesbass

Hmm... then maybe 2x12s or 4x10s (or 2x 2x10s)?

CK raves about the EBS 2x12 cabs. I don't have any experience of 12s apart from the Gallien-Krueger MB series. They wouldn't be enough for you really.

I really like the sound of Epifani cabs - clean, clear but still warm. I haven't tried their 2x12 and I'm not sure if anyone on these boards actually owns one. People tend to go for the 2x10, 3x10 or 4x10. The 2x12 is light though - 59 lbs. Check them out. (The 4x10 is 57 lbs though - worth checking them all out).

I also really like my Acme cabs - but I don't think most people are ready for that sound yet or happy with the amount of power you need to chuck at the cabs. The main problem with the Acmes is you can't really try them without buying them.

As for power amps, the QSCs are good value. I have an RMX but the PLX are much lighter and much more powerful. I don't use the QSC anymore - I have an Eden for that. I wouldn't recommend bass-specific power amps though - they're just not good value for money. I say that even though I love the sound of my Eden. Really a power amp shouldn't make much difference to the sound - but a crap one can do its best to ruin it.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='208238' date='May 28 2008, 05:50 PM']A bit expensive though, isn't it? If you had a Bergantino 12" and a separate power amp it'd be a lot less.[/quote]Yes it is expensive but then the best usually is. I guess he could get some Behringer gear for a lot less.

[quote name='The Funk' post='208277' date='May 28 2008, 06:54 PM']I really like the sound of Epifani cabs - clean, clear but still warm. I haven't tried their 2x12 and I'm not sure if anyone on these boards actually owns one.[/quote]
davebass5 is selling one IIRC.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='208288' date='May 28 2008, 07:07 PM']Yes it is expensive but then the best usually is. I guess he could get some Behringer gear for a lot less.[/quote]

I meant if you compare the Bergantino IP112ER (£1299 from Bass Direct UK) to the Bergantino HT112ER (£475 from Bass Direct UK).

You could buy 2 Bergantino 1x12 cabs and a power amp for the price of the powered cab.

If portability will be an issue for you, you might wanna take a look at this.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20284"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20284[/url]

It's a small compact lightweight poweramp Alien (Andy) is making for me at the moment.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='208315' date='May 28 2008, 07:37 PM']If portability will be an issue for you, you might wanna take a look at this.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20284"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20284[/url]

It's a small compact lightweight poweramp Alien (Andy) is making for me at the moment.[/quote]
Thanks I will watch that with interest.

Edited by jakesbass

In the IP cabs' defence, the DSP in there adds a ton of max SPL to the cab by virtue of cunning compression and limiting, plus compensating to some degree for the cabs' inherent sonic deficiencies.

I love the Acme cabs. Am hoping my own designs will measure up to that standard, maybe you'd like to try one of them if they do! :)

Alex

[quote name='The Funk' post='208292' date='May 28 2008, 07:15 PM']I meant if you compare the Bergantino IP112ER (£1299 from Bass Direct UK) to the Bergantino HT112ER (£475 from Bass Direct UK).

You could buy 2 Bergantino 1x12 cabs and a power amp for the price of the powered cab.[/quote]That's true but you would have a lot of cabs, leads, power amp. The IP amp is the best I have ever heard for a bass guitar application.
Every strum, pop, slap, vibratoed string, pull.... you get the idea, is delivered in a way I haven't heard before.
They are loud and faithful. They respond to eq very well but won't fill a stage like a multi cab set up.
If you want anymore info, please pm me.
Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='208381' date='May 28 2008, 09:07 PM']In the IP cabs' defence, the DSP in there adds a ton of max SPL to the cab by virtue of cunning compression and limiting, plus compensating to some degree for the cabs' inherent sonic deficiencies.

I love the Acme cabs. Am hoping my own designs will measure up to that standard, maybe you'd like to try one of them if they do! :)

Alex[/quote]

Hi Alex,
I'm watching your cabs with interest, I would like to hear something from them at some point if poss. If my singer gets signed maybe we could talk endorsement :huh:

[quote name='Stickman' post='227023' date='Jun 26 2008, 12:19 AM']Hi Jake, I currently have a Crest CA9 power amp for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21866&hl="]here[/url].[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up Stickman but at 47lbs I think I shall be looking at something a bit lighter, which I'm sure you understand.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

Hi there! Well... may I recommed the power amp I have for sale, if weight is an issue? it's a 1u rack at just 8.5kg

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20988"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20988[/url]

Cab-wise, I think the suggestions above are pretty on the money. I'm on the slightly larger cab solution using a 6x10 from Epifani. It's a big box but, as we proved at the last bass bash, still a one man lift. Not sure if thats overkill though, for you? (Overkill!!! What am I saying!!!)