Why become a member? ×

Give me your recommendations

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='dood' post='227169' date='Jun 26 2008, 10:41 AM']Hi there! Well... may I recommed the power amp I have for sale, if weight is an issue? it's a 1u rack at just 8.5kg

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20988"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20988[/url]

Cab-wise, I think the suggestions above are pretty on the money. I'm on the slightly larger cab solution using a 6x10 from Epifani. It's a big box but, as we proved at the last bass bash, still a one man lift. Not sure if thats overkill though, for you? (Overkill!!! What am I saying!!!)[/quote]

Cheers Dood,
I have visited your fs thread on many a lustful occasion, at the moment I am not entirely sure if I will in fact need the rig as the tour is dependent on a couple of things dropping into place.
If when I hear more this amp is still there I shall be discussing it with you.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='207215' date='May 27 2008, 01:47 PM']....I have an Alembic F1-X valve pre amp which I currently line in to my polytone which is a great sound but only suitable up to a certain size venue. I will likely have a tour in the Autumn so will need to get a larger output so I'm looking for your recommendations for a power amp and cab to go with it.
I love the pre amp as it's amazing for double and electric, and I like the mid punch of 12" cabs....[/quote]
Your pre amp into Dood's power amp (if you go for anything else you'll spend more and get less) into either one or two Epifani or Bergantino 112 cabs.

[quote name='chris_b' post='227543' date='Jun 26 2008, 06:33 PM']Your pre amp into Dood's power amp (if you go for anything else you'll spend more and get less) into either one or two Epifani or Bergantino 112 cabs.[/quote]

Thanks Chris, I am inclined to agree. The thing that turned me on to 12" cabs was going, alembic pre into a small PA (owned by one of my bread and butter gigs) the cabs being EV stage 200s. A real roundness to the sound especially of the double bass. That was through a humble peavey mixer amp too with my channel flat. Amazing definition to the bass.
I have been looking at 2x12 cabs too.
Jake

Hi jake

I've got a epifani UL210 that you can try at the gig on Sat if you like. Very light, very loud and sound fab with electric fivers and EUB/Uprights. Alt my Shroeder 410L....awsome cab but might be a bit overkill for your needs. let me know and I'll make sure its there for soundcheck. I've got a couple of poweramps as well eg QSC 2400PXL.

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='227621' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:25 PM']Hi jake

I've got a epifani UL210 that you can try at the gig on Sat if you like. Very light, very loud and sound fab with electric fivers and EUB/Uprights. Alt my Shroeder 410L....awsome cab but might be a bit overkill for your needs. let me know and I'll make sure its there for soundcheck. I've got a couple of poweramps as well eg QSC 2400PXL.[/quote]

Hi Carl,
if it's not too much trouble that would be great! (the epifani with a power amp that is)
It will give a chance to hear my Alembic pre (and Alembic bass) really working.
So yes please.
but really only if it's not too much trouble
many thanks
Jake

I'll PM you too

Edited by jakesbass

• 1 month later...

Ok so further to my earlier question I have gone with a Schroeder 1212L kindly provided by fellow BCer RichBowman (collection Sunday) So I'm down to a power amp to acquire. I have heard the obvious like QSC etc but here's the thing. I will be using the Alembic Pre for all my gigs cos it's the Mutts Nutts, surely power is power? I want light and 1U only.
let me know your thoughts now I've put another jigsaw piece in place.
Cheers
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

The only 1RU amplifier I know of (worth the money) is Markbass F1, it has a preamp but I suppose you can bypass it by plugging your Alembic preamp output into the F1 effects loop return jack.

Beware of 1RU power amps, all decent power amps I know of have a 2-3RU format.

I recetly played a Chevin Research A2000 for P.A and it was by far and away the nicest sounding power amp I have ever heard. Powerful and very lightweight it absolutly crushed my C-Audio, Crown and Behringer (QSC) amps and numerous other power amps I've tried/listened to. Look second hand and you can get them for quite a decenet price, if I had £500 going spare for a used one I'd own a Chevin right now. English company too.

[quote name='The Funk' post='252412' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:05 PM']Sorry, that was completely unhelpful of me. At least it did remind me to go look it up later for you. :)

[url="http://www.bkelec.com/Pro/Amplifiers/MXF1200D.htm"]Here you go.[/url][/quote]

If you are interested in one of these, I am probably going to be selling mine.
Only thing to be aware of is that it needs quite a hot input signal from the preamp to get the maximum output from it.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='253125' date='Aug 2 2008, 07:34 AM']If you are interested in one of these, I am probably going to be selling mine.
Only thing to be aware of is that it needs quite a hot input signal from the preamp to get the maximum output from it.[/quote]
I would be interested in this, assuming that the hot signal you speak of woud be generated by my Alembic pre and the price is reasonable. How much are you looking for?
Cheers.
Jake