Why become a member? ×

Les Claypool

andy67

How good is this man?

the band are excellent he is a genius!

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XeVLJeMdE&mode=related&search"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XeVLJeMdE&...ated&search[/url]

I'd forgotten how much I like this guy!

MB1. :)

CHECK OUT THE DVDS
Animals should not try to act like people

5 gallons of diesel.featuring sausage/holy mackerel/oysterhead/frog brigade/bucket of bernie brains.
DONT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE CLAYPOOL!

MB1.

I saw Primus opening for Rush's 1992 Roll the Bones tour...'What the hell is this crap', we all pondered.
However, compelling the bass playing was, so I bought Seas of cheese for the bass parts if nothing else. AMAZING!!! I had no interest in slap bass prior to that because people sound like cheap marcus millers all too often, but this dude made it sound fun and aggresive. Yeah! Lets not neglect the surrounding talent of the band either.

Also, they manages to subliminally affect most of the world into hearing their music via South Park - respect!

yay! Les be da man without a doubt.

You should also check out some of his other projects outside of Primus - (Oysterhead with Stewart Copeland on drums being particularly good)

I believe he's just written a novel too?...and directed a film/documentary on the jam band scene

Les for President!

peace

c

I bought Sailing the Seas of Cheese out of curiosity, because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with this Claypool fella I kept hearing about.

:huh:

I [i]hated[/i] it. I mean, I despised every second.
So I put it on a shelf where it gathered dust for a good couple of years, until a while ago when I happened upon it and thought I'd give it another go. And lo and behold...

:)

I hated it even more.
Sold it for 3 quid on fleaBay, or it would have ended up as a drinks mat.

[quote name='Rich' post='21990' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:59 PM']I bought Sailing the Seas of Cheese out of curiosity, because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with this Claypool fella I kept hearing about.

:huh:

I [i]hated[/i] it. I mean, I despised every second.
So I put it on a shelf where it gathered dust for a good couple of years, until a while ago when I happened upon it and thought I'd give it another go. And lo and behold...

:)

I hated it even more.
Sold it for 3 quid on fleaBay, or it would have ended up as a drinks mat.[/quote]

I bought Seas of Chesse out of curiosity too... but I loved it. I was completely dumbfounded how a band could sound so dissonant and weird, yet be catchy as well.

MB1. :)

S*U*Y
Hows it going there! mate!

the strange thing with les claypool as most fans will tell you is!
les is best LIVE and i dont really think his studio material does him justice!(often sounds a little thin)
Try and get to see some of mr claypools live performance!
absolutely awesome!

yeo ,eyo, eyoch eyoch eyo, eyoch eyoch eyo, e, a, e, a, e! (for mark sandman).

MB1.

Great bass solo! Very true about what people have been saying about Primus being a bit dissonant at times, but Les is definitely a funky, rhythmic player whilst not being overly technical. In saying that, I wouldn't mind being able to play his basslines properly though :)

been listening to primus since frizzle fry, truly one of the greats, the thing that really gets me goat is that he wasn't a bass player in the first place but a drummer, but they had a drummer so they said why don't you play bass. :)

luke i've got that tab somewhere so i'll have to dig it out, the first part is pretty simple it's the middle fast part that gets me everytime.

still suprises me how 3 people can sound like so much more

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='22074' date='Jun 22 2007, 07:16 PM']been listening to primus since frizzle fry, truly one of the greats, the thing that really gets me goat is that he wasn't a bass player in the first place but a drummer, but they had a drummer so they said why don't you play bass. :)

luke i've got that tab somewhere so i'll have to dig it out, the first part is pretty simple it's the middle fast part that gets me everytime.

still suprises me how 3 people can sound like so much more[/quote]

MB1.

Mr Mark King, drummer first,bass player second,odd innit!

[quote name='MB1' post='22042' date='Jun 22 2007, 06:02 PM']MB1. :)

S*U*Y
Hows it going there! mate!

the strange thing with les claypool as most fans will tell you is!
les is best LIVE and i dont really think his studio material does him justice!(often sounds a little thin)
Try and get to see some of mr claypools live performance!
absolutely awesome!

yeo ,eyo, eyoch eyoch eyo, eyoch eyoch eyo, e, a, e, a, e! (for mark sandman).

MB1.[/quote]

I'm not too bad mate. Hope you're cool.

I really would love to see Primus live... it's wicked that all these 90's bands are reforming which I didn't think I would ever see, i.e. Rage Against The Machine, Alice In Chains.

[quote name='Rich' post='21990' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:59 PM']I bought Sailing the Seas of Cheese out of curiosity, because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with this Claypool fella I kept hearing about.[/quote]

Me too!... I now have 106 Primus songs in my iTunes library :)

I've been a big Primus fan since about '93, and i think they're bloody great. Recently in one or another american bass mag they listed big bad Les' discography. He's recorded something ridiculous like 22 albums in the last 15 years.
How the hell do you remember all that?
Oh yeah, and the video with the big rubber cowboy suits in is the best music video ever. period.

[quote name='BassJase' post='22235' date='Jun 23 2007, 01:06 AM']I've been a big Primus fan since about '93, and i think they're bloody great. Recently in one or another american bass mag they listed big bad Les' discography. He's recorded something ridiculous like 22 albums in the last 15 years.
How the hell do you remember all that?
Oh yeah, and the video with the big rubber cowboy suits in is the best music video ever. period.[/quote]

Wynonna's got herself a big brown beaver and she shows it off to all her friends

ok here's another tab to the awakening
[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/les_claypool_and_the_holy_mackerel/the_awakening_ver2_btab.htm"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/les_...g_ver2_btab.htm[/url]

this was the one i was looking for, pretty much spot on

really struggle with all those hammerons and pulloffs