Why become a member? ×

Highway one - was "Roadworn precisions"

Geek99

The Highway Ones are US Assembled, made from the same parts as MIMs (same necks, same bodies, same tuners), with a thin satin nitro finish and MIA standard pup. There's two versions, one with a Badass II (the other has the MIM BBOT). I can't remember, but seem to recall one has a Greasebucket, the other didn't (I think).

If you dig around on the Fender website you should be able to find the parts lists. I played a few when they were in the shops and nearly bought :o a new one... I've never bought a new bass. They were all nice enough.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1363631840' post='2015035']
Just to add to the confusion i thought that highway 1 basses were mexican parts assembled in America.
Probably by Mexicans !
[/quote]

Correct, but with a US standard pickup and a different finish. To confuse matters, there's a version with a Badass II and different wiring. But essentially they're MIM basses assembled in the US. Not that there's anything wrong with that. My MIM P Special is the same era and is great. Well machined and good fit and finish. No different from a US (bar the tuners and the part number of the neck).

Edited by bigjohn

I've got an 07 Highway "One" Jazz bass. It's a 3 piece nice matched alder body. Has the US posiflex graphite rod neck. MIM Tuners and came with a BA II Bridge. Has translucent wine red "satin" nitro coat. Satin Poly on the neck.

The body and neck are US Standard without a tint. The routing under the guard is clean so you can go without a pickguard if thats your thing.The tuners are same as the mexican's and the current range of specials. pickups are a bit of an enigma.

But essentially the cost cuts over the US standard are. No hard case. No tinted necks. No hipshot tuners. No intensive man hours buffing out clear coats hence the "satin" nitro. It's not satin its just hasn't been rubbed out....I did that my self and it looks very nice too.. :)

[quote name='gruffers' timestamp='1363641905' post='2015250']
I've got an 07 Highway "One" Jazz bass. It's a 3 piece nice matched alder body. Has the US posiflex graphite rod neck. MIM Tuners and came with a BA II Bridge. Has translucent wine red "satin" nitro coat. Satin Poly on the neck.

The body and neck are US Standard without a tint. The routing under the guard is clean so you can go without a pickguard if thats your thing.The tuners are same as the mexican's and the current range of specials. pickups are a bit of an enigma.

But essentially the cost cuts over the US standard are. No hard case. No tinted necks. No hipshot tuners. No intensive man hours buffing out clear coats hence the "satin" nitro. It's not satin its just hasn't been rubbed out....I did that my self and it looks very nice too.. :)
[/quote]

I have the exact same Jazz, same colour (is it called Midnight Wine?) but 2008 vintage according to the serial number (I got it new in 2009). And very nice it is too. Replaced the off-white pickguard with an aged pearl finish instead.

I'd give it a try to be honest, I've not tried the P version of the Highway One, but I'm sure it's be just as good.

As an aside the original ones were called "Highway 1", and this changed to "Highway One" when they did the upgrade mods in 2006 - the most obvious difference being the BA bridge instead of the BBOT.

Cheers

Geoff