Why become a member? ×

Two gigs in one night!

TRBboy

Had a bit of a busy night this Saturday; first time in 15 years of gigging that I've had a gig with two different bands, at different venues, in one night! I had a gig at The Plough in Hereford with my rock covers band, Two Push Charlie, and then a gig with Hereford Soul Choir at the Jailhouse nightclub in Hereford for their Soul, Funk and Motown night. It was a great night, and both gigs went down really well, but man it was tiring!

My evening went something like this:

16:00 - Soundcheck with HSC at the Jailhouse. This took a long time.....
18:45 - Pack up and leave Jailhouse, go and get changed, then...
19:30 - Arrive at The Plough and set up (and fit in a quick steak baguette!)
21:00 - Start TPC 1st set
23:20 - Finish TPC 2nd set, and pack up very quickly!
23:40 - Arrive at Jailhouse, set up very quickly (no back entrance, so I had to cart all my gear through the club)
00:00 - Start HSC set
01:00 - Finish HSC set , then pack up (again), have a drink, etc.
03:45 - Go to sleep.

I enjoyed the evening, but I think it would kill me if I did it every weekend! Does anyone here regularly do multiple gigs in one evening?

Here's a link to a pic from the Jailhouse on the HSC Facebook page: [url="http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/860969_10200551700971710_1776477874_o.jpg"]http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/860969_10200551700971710_1776477874_o.jpg[/url]

I've done 3 in a day before but I didn't have to work the next day and I've done 3 consecutive gigs after 3 12 hs shifts over a weekend and I wouldn't be doing that again even if I still did the shifts.

This is also one reason why i very rarely now take gigs over 2 hrs total playing time..

Ah the Jailhouse!!! Played there many a time when it was the Jailhouse for the first time around. As for the Plough, did it once, that was enough!

Had a similar experience of two gigs though in one day at the start of this month. 3pm in Cheltenham and then 7pm in Bristol both in record shops. Don't know how people do it all the time, being a combination of roadie, driver, performer, marketing etc etc...

Queens Jubilee weekend last year I did a wedding on the Friday night, a Club on the Saturday night, a gig in Bradford city gardens Sunday afternoon followed by a local gig back in Leicester Sunday night, then finally an acoustic gig Monday afternoon.

Bloody knackering

I`ve got an all-day gig coming up, followed by an evening gig.

For our album launch The Tuesday Club will be playing our 3 singles, on the hour every hour from midday until 5pm, in a flower shop in Shoreditch which is above the studio where we recorded the tracks. From there we`ve got to pack up, and head to St Albans for a gig in the evening. Should be tiring, but immense fun.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1363097347' post='2008381']
Done plenty of two shows a day shows, six days a week [some back to back] and had a horror of a Panto in Wolverhampton...
two a day back to back and on Saturdays Three shows..... easy peasy... :lol:

Enjoy the work why it's there.

Garry
[/quote]

True, forgot about panto! Did that a couple of years running, two shows a day, 6 days a week for 6 weeks. That seemed a bit easier though because i didn't have anything else to do and it was finished at about 22:00.

Done a few of these over the years.

We're lucky insofar as we have enough kit to set up both venues so we only have to carry instruments between them.
We leave someone behind at the end of the first gig to pack up and then meet us at venue two later on.

It's usually on St. Patricks that this happens, but this year we've managed to get the two venues to have their celebrations on separate nights. :)