Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB414 - who knew? And what of its big brothers?

P-T-P

Recently swapped a FleaBass for a Yamaha BB414.

Wasn't expecting too much, just something different for the occasional noodle at home.

As I often do with a new bass, I took it gigging just to see how it would cope in the real world. Like many basses before it, I fully expected to stick with it for a couple of numbers before reverting to my main bass (Lakland DJ5 with Bartolini pre-amp).

To my amazement, the Lakland hasn't had a look in. Haven't picked it up in weeks and done about 6 hours of gig-time with the Yamaha now.

It's extremely well made, very comfortable and sounds loud and clear - warm without being wooly and punchy without being twangy. First gig the E string was a little flabby, but pick-up just was too close and the D/G strings are maybe a smidge thinner sounding than the E/A strings, but I'm sure that's just a set-up issue.

Long story short I'm astonished at how good this bass is, especially considering the price point.

Which leads me to wonder, how much better might the 424, 424-X and 1024-X be. Yamaha's website isn't too clear on making a big deal of the differences too much, aside from the obvious cosmetic ones.

Anyone care to shed some light?

Edited by P-T-P

BB414 is a seriously good bass. I've got a 415 that I bought from a former Jethro Tull bassist, and I'm completely happy with it (will modify and refinish when spring comes, anyway ;) )
424/425 have the same pickups and overall quality, but have a new 5-piece laminated maple/nato neck and a thru-body bridge. Both those changes should improve string tension, stability and clarity of the lower notes (especially B string in 425).

1024/2024/1025/2025 are of higher quality. They have different pickups to the lower series (identical between 102* and 202* though), and different hardware - bridge had angled saddles made of brass, coated in chrome in 102* and in nickel in 202*. Pieces of wood that body is made of, are spline-joint, to mimick sonic qualities of a one-piece body while improving mechanical stability. Nut is made of the same material as frets (as opposed to plastic in 42*). Finishes are different, imho nicer than in the cheaper series. Differences between 102* and 202*: maple/nato neck in 102*, maple/mahogany in 202*, chrome hardware in 102*, nickel in 202*; 102* are factory made in Indonesia (I think), 202* hand made in Japan - of course the amount of actual handmaking in "hand made" modern basses is a somewhat controversial subject. Plus 202* have those magical treatments called I.R.A. and A.I.R. if I recall correctly.
I've tried many of all those series extensively in stores and most recently at the LBGS. Conclusions: I'm keeping my BB415, but buying a 1024 or 1025 as well, as that will be a bit of an upgrade. The differences between 102* and 202* were very subtle at most.

Edited by such

I picked up a s/h BB414 off here late last year. I have to echo the comments made above really. I'd like to try a 1024 to see if there is much of an improvement - I can't afford the 2024 but the 1024 might be do-able if I can reduce my current stock level :)

Cheers

Geoff

I think that it is Yamaha basses in general. Just after xmas I picked up an almost mint RBX 374 for £150. I was gonna use it as a back up for giggin but it is really good. Comftorable, not to heavy, I really like the neck, good range of sounds and it has the top of the pickups cut out in a thumb shape. I am thinking of using it as my main squeeze and using the P or Tbird as a backup.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1362601393' post='2002048']
Who new? Actually, there's a lot of love for BBs on this forum - try a search.

G.
[/quote]

I'm guessing that the "partly rhetorical, partly self-depricating" I was hoping to get across with my "who knew" comment didn't quite come over as well as I'd have liked.

Apologies if I've offended in some way. I've had a few Yamaha's over the years, mostly TRBs, which while exceptionally well constructed, never quite hit the mark for me. It never made me think any less of the company. Nonetheless I am genuinely impressed at how good a bass the BB414, even with Yamaha's excellent reputation.

[quote name='P-T-P' timestamp='1362616044' post='2002377']
I'm guessing that the "partly rhetorical, partly self-depricating" I was hoping to get across with my "who knew" comment didn't quite come over as well as I'd have liked.

Apologies if I've offended in some way. I've had a few Yamaha's over the years, mostly TRBs, which while exceptionally well constructed, never quite hit the mark for me. It never made me think any less of the company. Nonetheless I am genuinely impressed at how good a bass the BB414, even with Yamaha's excellent reputation.
[/quote]

No offense intended - apologies if I have - I have a BB415, a BBG5A & a TRB1005 myself, so I know where you're coming from!

G.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1362675113' post='2003232']
Crikey that's a deal and a half mate. Why can't I find them lol.
[/quote]

Ebay, it was originally listed for £500 + post and i was tempted at that, but i was away from home and missed it. It then got re-listed for £350 and I was sat at the computer when the notification came through. Within 20 minutes I had bought and paid for it. Couldn't not buy it. Think the guy just needed Christmas cash.

*edit*
I also have a Bb614 that is an amazing bass & also for sale*
Shameless I know.

Edited by Horizontalste