Why become a member? ×

No Cab and Ground/Lift?

JMM

I've got a gig coming up with quite a crowded stage, but a lot of monitors. All the bands have been asked to share their amp (unlike the guitarists who get their own sound!).

I was just wondering whether it would be possible to set up just a head and DI that, to get the tone I want. The stage has a lot of monitors so I don't think it should be an issue hearing it, but can the amp be used without outputting to a cab?

Also the DI has a ground/lift button, what is this for?

Thanks

(If it makes any different, the amp in question is an Orange Terror Bass 500.)

Hmmm, I'm sure someone will be able to give a definitive answer, but I was under the impression that valve amps should always be connected to a cab. I think it's ok for transistor amps though.

I used to use an Ampeg PF-500 purely as a DI and it was fine.

Truckstop

Thanks, this is a transistor output, but with 2 preamp valves, just to make things a bit more confusing haha.

With my very little understanding of electronics, the power produced must go somewhere and 500 watts is quite a bit!

If its your Orange Terror Bass Amp you're talking about it[i] should [/i]be fine.
Class D power amps (as yours is) are pretty resilient, generally don't require a load (speaker) and I know other makes I've tried are perfectly fine in this scenario. But I'd like to be clear that [b]I MAKE NO GUARANTEES ON BEHALF OF THE MANUFACTURER[/b]. So you might just want to check with Orange first :)

If it is an Orange terror, no probs with having no load. The impedance selector is a fudge. Should be noted it isn't the class that causes things to be upset by no load, its the use of an output transformers, you could make a class D amp with an OT, and one with valves, and it would be upset by no load, ditto with solid state amps with output transformers.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1362665988' post='2003024']
Should be noted it isn't the class that causes things to be upset by no load, its the use of an output transformers, you could make a class D amp with an OT, and one with valves, and it would be upset by no load, ditto with solid state amps with output transformers.
[/quote]

I bow to your superior knowledge Oli :)
I thought when I said class D I was referring to these new-fangled B&O car stereo type thingies with the SMPS - which the Terror is one of.

[quote name='JMM' timestamp='1362651697' post='2002669']With my very little understanding of electronics, the power produced must go somewhere and 500 watts is quite a bit!
[/quote]

It can't produce 500 watts with no load connected. Closer to zero in fact. A bit like turning off a tap.

As far as I understand (or not) the answers in this thread,

1) the power amp in the OTB provides the load that the preamp needs, also when there's no load on the power amp
2) the DI button is not switching between ground and lift (whatever those might be if they even exist) but is a ground lift switch

The manual is very short and really does not volunteer much information, though it does say that the ground lift button is used only when a ground hum appears. In case I wonder about the dash in "Ground/Lift".

Can anyone confirm or correct my understanding?

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1362679135' post='2003305']
2) the DI button is not switching between ground and lift (whatever those might be if they even exist) but is a ground lift switch
[/quote]

Think its switching between grounded, and having the ground connection lifted (so not on the ground any more).

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1362679241' post='2003307']
Think its switching between grounded, and having the ground connection lifted (so not on the ground any more).
[/quote]

Thanks!
Language barrier is kicking in though, but allow me to try: So if I get this right, "lifted" means you're simply disconnecting the grounding? I'd have expected something more advanced.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1362692594' post='2003585']
Thanks!
Language barrier is kicking in though, but allow me to try: So if I get this right, "lifted" means you're simply disconnecting the grounding? I'd have expected something more advanced.

best,
bert
[/quote]

No, no, that's exactly right. Normally, one would want to have one's equipment grounded. If, however, one is linked to other equipment (DI's, consoles etc...) there may be another ground path. This can sometimes cause problems such as low-level hum. If this is the case, one or other of the ground paths should be removed (lifted...) temporarily. The equipment is still safe, as there is still a path to ground.
Once the equipment is back in 'solo' use, the ground should be re-established to provide best safety.
Hope this helps; subject to correction from others.

If you are sure of your Monitor mix... and I would check that you get your own.... then you just need a pre signal and something like a
Tonehammer would do that with a degree of control... or if you have a stage mon engr...let him do it straight off the DI box...

On big stages, your cab set-up becomes your own personal bass monitor system anyway... and fills and wedges do the mix..