Why become a member? ×

Do you reckon you could write a hit pop song?

xilddx

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362506784' post='2000403']
But F isn't in the key of E Major, so therefore the pretty standard FGAC progression isn't in the key of E Major. I wonder why it is so common? Is it just nice to hear?
[/quote]

Didn't mean in the key of F, should have made that clearer, many POP songs are also in the key of E Major, that was my bad typing sorry Milty :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362509038' post='2000493']
Someone should compile a book of the most commercially prosperous rhymes. :-)
[/quote]

How many hits of the late 50s/early 60s rhymed "baby" with "maybe"...........? That must be quite a list!

Do I reckon I could write , or be part of a team to write and arrange a song that could be a top hit , yes, I believe I can and have done

Would it be a hit in reality, NO of course not :)

My ego would like to think its because you have to be right place right time, right contacts etc. to have succeeded or succeed from now, maybe thats a small part of it .

With regard to muso's stating they are above this, most top commercial acts, at least a few decades back, almost all started out as talented parts of great acts, then saw the commercial dollars in writing pop, those ranging from Lionel Richie to Gary Numan and many others are open about that fact and don't try to pretend otherwise.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1362508576' post='2000476']
. So it's just your integrity that's stopping you from delving into the multi million pound hit song writing club then ?
[/quote]
May I refer your good self to the post 2 above yours (#26) it explains why I have no choice but to reluctantly, keep my songwriting hands tied.

Message to self: I really must work on my cyber-humour

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1362508690' post='2000480']
No, because pop songs have to be sh*t to be a hit these days. I am too good for that sort of thing.
[/quote]
I'm assuming you are being serious because you've been a gobsh*te in the past on similar subjects, so I am happy to say that your pronouncement is absolute bollocks.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1362508140' post='2000456']Sadly, my first foray into the world of songwriting (mid '80s) came to a sudden end. The chap recording my song, who was a well known singer and actor, a couple of weeks after recording the little ditty, promptly... died! :unsure: I have considered it my duty, since that day, to never to let any of my 'masterpieces' escape the confines of my 'studio'... my 'Pandora's Box' if you will :([/quote]

With powers such as those you could be the next of the "X-Men", make your fortune that way & side-side the murky world of pop.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362510464' post='2000544']
I'm assuming you are being serious because you've been a gobsh*te in the past on similar subjects, so I am happy to say that your pronouncement is absolute bollocks.
[/quote]

HAHA!

I don't think all pop is crap. There's a lot i wouldn't listen to, and some that i would. If i wanted to make a hit pop song, it would be probably just for fun, and money, and not really for the love of it. But it's all down to personal preference. Nobody can ever say that a certain type of music really is crap, because that's just really confirming to other musicians that you are an idiot.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362510186' post='2000527']
Baby, Gravy, Maybe, Rabies, shapely, capely... hmm...
[/quote]

* Standard R 'n' B groove *

Ooh Baby
I got love gravy
And I don't mean maybe
Ooh Yeah!

Gonna foam at the mouth
Like a dog with rabies
You gonna have my babies, girl
Then your norks will go south.

Your body so shapely
You makin' me capely -

But there's no such word as 'capely', ooh yeah.

* Continue in similar vein until music business becomes financially and morally bankrupt * - Oh, wait...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362510835' post='2000558']

Ooh Baby
I got love gravy
And I don't mean maybe
Ooh Yeah!

Gonna foam at the mouth
Like a dog with rabies

Your body so shapely
You makin' me capely -

* Continue in similar vein until music business becomes financially and morally bankrupt * - Oh, wait...
[/quote]

I read this out in the style of Flight of the Conchords 'Business Time' myself.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362510835' post='2000558']

Ooh Baby
I got love gravy
And I don't mean maybe
Ooh Yeah!

Gonna foam at the mouth
Like a dog with rabies

Your body so shapely
You makin' me capely -

[/quote]

"Even though there is no such word as capely
maybe, you and me, baby
could use it repetitively, until the general public see
That is has made it's way into the dictionary, oh yeah!"

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362511040' post='2000562']
"Even though there is no such word as capely
maybe, you and me, baby
could use it repetitively, until the general public see
That is has made it's way into the dictionary, oh yeah!"
[/quote]

Not bad, but there are [i]far [/i]too many syllables in this for a pop song! :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362510815' post='2000557']
If i wanted to make a hit pop song, it would be probably just for fun, and money...
[/quote]

Er... I can't think of any other reasons, unless it's to bring peace to the middle east, or something...

oh to have had the likes of taxi around in my day, would possibly made life a lot better. Spent so much time visiting record companies in the 70s peddling our wares.

Always thought I could write a good pop song, i do come up with some nice riffs etc but get lost on how to build on them. I think I could do some really good lyrics, as well but mine tend to be very floydy so rules out a pop song.

I've always wanted to write and perform a Euro-vision song as we always seem to pick the wrong type of song (that plus the politics).

Perhaps one day.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362511363' post='2000573']
Er... I can't think of any other reasons, unless it's to bring peace to the middle east, or something...
[/quote]

Well, songs that i would write for the sake of myself are just out of the love of doing it. Yup, it's fun, no, it makes me absolutely no money. These things are fine by me. If i was to become part of the pop world, it would be for money, because i don't have a great deal of passion for the music.