Why become a member? ×

We need a track to mix for March....

51m0n

People of basschat, your mix competition entrants need your recorded songs!

We need a selection of recorded songs to choose from for the March mix competition.

Please put forward a song if:-
[list]
[*]You would like us to have a crack at mixing it (well duh!)
[*]You have the full set of stems (ie each individual track as recorded, not a project file but a full length wav of the kick, and another of the hihat and another of the snare, and another of the bass etc etc etc for the song - people are all using different DAWs and this is the only guaranteed way of importing them)
[*]You have the ownership of the track, or permission to put it forward (we dont want to be accused of any kind of naughtiness)
[*]You can put the stems up on Soundcloud or some other equivalent for the entrants to download them from
[/list]

We will do our best to produce a really great mix of the song for you, you are invited to register your vote on the poll at the end of the month :D

[url="https://soundcloud.com/cheddatom/uniform"]https://soundcloud.com/cheddatom/uniform[/url]

this could be an interesting one, the drums are tracked using one stereo mic, nothing else. The guitar and bass are DI'd. I can do stems no problem

It's not great if you want to practise your drum sounds, but I certainly found it a good challenge to get a good sound out of the one stereo mic.

I've not been joining in with the competition as I've been stuck mixing new Dirty Money tracks, which they wouldn't want me to put out for public consumption.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1362403120' post='1999174']
It's not great if you want to practise your drum sounds,
[/quote]

but could be good if you want to try drum replacement

Edit; having listened to it I think that is a big ask and I'm not sure my ears could stand it for long

Edited by Twigman

I have no stems to contribute , but I do have a learning curve to continue :D , The idea behind this is brilliant and needs a bit of help with the raw material , so don't be shy , offer some stems up and I can keep picking the wisdom of some of the great talent on here.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1362428070' post='1999686']
...I'm not sure my ears could stand it for long
[/quote]

:) That's kind of the point of the song, but yeh, sorry

I've asked the creepjoint guys if I can contribute one of the songs off the latest album, that should be more palatable

ok, all agreed... any song off the 2nd album, you can listen here: [url="http://theallimportantliedetectortest.com"]http://theallimportantliedetectortest.com[/url]

I guess track 1 or 2 would be the simplest. "Bulletproof" was recorded all together so plenty of bleed on the drum mics. Just one extra layer of guitar, could provide more of a challenge.

Just let me know if you want to use any of them and I'll get stems done

No I think its about time we had a go at something a little more heavy, we've done a reggae track and an indie-pop-rock track, both were great to mix with a bunch if nasty issues to get around.

Something that needs to peel back peoples ears a bit would be cool, and next time hopefully we'll get something more dance orientated, or some electronica, or even some straight ahead jazz.

Good mixers are good whatever the genre they are presented with....

Well I reckon Sapere Aude at the moment, not too long, plenty going on, lots of dynamics and textures, and a fine vocal performance to boot, with just a hint of Mr Shout McShout, last years winner of the internationally recognised "I'm a shouty b****rd me" competition.

hah, cool, ok I'll do stems later. One mono track, the same length for each instrument, obviously several for guitars

That song in particular was done with two different drum takes, two different snares, should I put both snares on one track?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1362575647' post='2001503']
hah, cool, ok I'll do stems later. One mono track, the same length for each instrument, obviously several for guitars

That song in particular was done with two different drum takes, two different snares, should I put both snares on one track?
[/quote]

I'd keep them seperate so people can play with them personally :)

ok, cool, just uploading to creepjoint.co.uk/sapereaudestems.zip It's under 300mb but still might take an hour or two to upload so I'd try after midnight or in the morning.

I had a few issues as there are so many tracks and so many edits. I've tried to compile some things together on to the one stem, but it's obvious where they are so you can always cut them up to treat them seperately if needs be. I managed to get 50 odd channels down to 33 stems, should be a bit more manageable. I did still keep the kick and snares seperate for the section played on a different kit... It should all become obvious when you load them up anyway

If you need anything specific just ask, I can always go back through it. I've gone for 44K 16bit WAVs, I hope that's OK with everyone

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you guys come up with :)