Why become a member? ×

'62 reissue Jazz Basses. What are the differences?

ivansc

So I recently bought a MIJ 62 reissue Jazz, which I am very pleased with. I had looked at Mexican ones leading up to the purhse and now I have it, I'm wondering what the actual differences are between the three version.
I mean, obviously the American ones have the stacked knobs and apparently tuners that operate in the opposite direction to normal, but where are the other significant differences?

And I would like educated opinions MIM vs MIJ vs MIA if possible.

Thanks!

As far as i know, i compared the MIA and the MIJ, there are differences in the look, design and the sound.
I never tried a MIM, sorry.

The look :
- pickguard tortoise is not the same on the US (four-ply pickguard and better quality tortoise)
- Headstock sticker is different on the US (patented numbers under the 7ender on the US, different fonts used on the US for JAZZ BASS electric bass)
- Different neck coat color : darker neck coat on the US.
- Very thin frets on the US.
- Reverse tuners (on the US) bigger than the normal ones (MIJ).

The neck shape :
- I think the 62' US JB neck is even thiner than MIJ ones. US necks try to be closer to the originals 60' Jazz Basses, flat and really thin.
Sometimes even too thin and the neck get bowed....

The woods :
- The US version is supposed to be made of "more selected" woods...

The sound :
- The stacked knobs (with the 2 separate tone knobs ) give a different personality to the US compare to the MIJ 62'JB.
- The thiner frets have a consequence on the sound.

There must be others differences.
But it doesn't mean to me that a MIJ is always under a US and can not be a killer instrument :)

I hope it will help.

Edited by Emanew

MIJ 62 reissues will have a small brass strip going from the bridge to the rear pickup, which connects to the earth loop and stops your bass buzzing when amplified. This is how the original 62 basses were earthed. In the mid 60s Fender decided to change this arrangement and connected the earth loop by threading the earth wire through a hole, which was drilled, from under the bridge to the control compartment on the bass.

Edited by gjones

Thanks, guys - on the obvious cosmetics like the stacked knobs and the earthing strap I was already aware, but stuff like the US necks tending to be thinner is good to know.

I had a Precision in the early sixties but did play several early Jazzes. Always liked that really slim lower part of the neck.

Now all I have to do is save up for a USA one! But in the meantime the Japanese one is doing just fine.
Had it a week and already done three gigs with it!

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1362352188' post='1998932'] As far as i know, i compared the MIA and the MIJ, there are differences in the look, design and the sound. I never tried a MIM, sorry. The look : - pickguard tortoise is not the same on the US (four-ply pickguard and better quality tortoise) - Headstock sticker is different on the US (patented numbers under the 7ender on the US, different fonts used on the US for JAZZ BASS electric bass) - Different neck coat color : darker neck coat on the US. - Very thin frets on the US. - Reverse tuners (on the US) bigger than the normal ones (MIJ). The neck shape : - I think the 62' US JB neck is even thiner than MIJ ones. US necks try to be closer to the originals 60' Jazz Basses, flat and really thin. Sometimes even too thin and the neck get bowed.... The woods : - The US version is supposed to be made of "more selected" woods... The sound : - The stacked knobs (with the 2 separate tone knobs ) give a different personality to the US compare to the MIJ 62'JB. - The thiner frets have a consequence on the sound. There must be others differences. But it doesn't mean to me that a MIJ is always under a US and can not be a killer instrument :) I hope it will help. [/quote]
The colour tint of the neck can differ immensely between US models.

Of the three more common grades of Jap reissue, only the top ("VSP") grade gets the deeper colour tint. That model also gets top of the line Jap pickups - which are more or less copies of an original 62 pickup, wax dippied, cloth wiring, all that - it also gets vintage style reverse tuners and a threaded bridge saddles. It's possibly a more accurate 62 re-ish that the US one, bar its pressed tin chromed string tree - the US one is turned nickel-silver.

Jap grades...

JB62; basswood body, 70's bridge, Mustang tuners, cheap Jap pickups and electrics.

JB62US; alder body, 70's style bridge, 70's style tuners, US pIckups, upgraded Jap electrics.

JB62VSP; as above. US 62 has mitrocelulose laquer, Japs are polyurethane laquered. Headstock 'sticker' on Jap ones is a laser print as opposed to the USA waterslide transfer decal. The earth strip in US models is much wider than Jap one.

I don't know anything first hand about Mex's.

Edited by mckendrick

Concerning the neck tint :
On the US 62' JB, the neck coat is nitro so it becomes darker rapidly. Not the polyurethane (used on MIJ JB) which remains clear.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1362447412' post='2000005']
JB62US; alder body, 70's style bridge, 70's style tuners, US pIckups, upgraded Jap electrics.
[/quote]
Little mistakes here : [u]there are a 60's style bridge[/u] (threaded bridge saddles) and [u]early 60's style tuners[/u] (vintage style reverse tuners, Kluson copies) on all [u]US 62' JB[/u].
Here's my 1989 American reissue 62' Jazz Bass .

Interesting informations about the VSP MIJ 62' JB :) i didn't know this version.

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1362526115' post='2000972']
Little mistakes here : [u]there are a 60's style bridge[/u] (threaded bridge saddles) and [u]early 60's style tuners[/u] (vintage style reverse tuners, Kluson copies) on all [u]US 62' JB[/u].[/quote]
Allow me to be pedantic....

Little mistakes here; I have three JB62US models on board at the moment, NONE of them have reverse tuners. They have the tuners as I described earlier, Gotoh cat. no. FB3.

Only the JB62VSP's (and their derivatives) have the more vintage looking reverse threaded type, Gotoh cat. no. GB640 / Fender Jap cat. no. GB8.

The plain old cheapy JB62's carry Mustang tuners with the smaller diameter string post and small backplate, Gotoh cat. no. GB1.

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1362526115' post='2000972']
Concerning the neck tint :
On the US 62' JB, the neck coat is nitro so it becomes darker rapidly. Not the polyurethane (used on MIJ JB) which remains clear.

Little mistakes here : [u]there are a 60's style bridge[/u] (threaded bridge saddles) and [u]early 60's style tuners[/u] (vintage style reverse tuners, Kluson copies) on all [u]US 62' JB[/u].
Here's my 1989 American reissue 62' Jazz Bass .

Interesting informations about the VSP MIJ 62' JB :) i didn't know this version.
[/quote]that is a beauty.. those early AVRI 62's are killer..

Thanks Bubinga5 :)

You are right : these 80's versions have a special look (specific tortoise pickguard, browner 3 tone sunburst almost 2 TS, darker fingerboard and aged nitro finish, etc...)
I bought it in the UK.

I love these 62' American vintage reissue JBs. They come quite close to the originals, even if they are not the legendary Saint Graal... 15 000$ for a bass :rolleyes:

I recently loaded flatwounds. Great great tone i must admit, usually i am not a flats user.

I found this recently, with all details
[url="http://elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-5005.htm"]http://elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-5005.htm[/url]
[url="http://elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-4981.htm"]http://elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-4981.htm[/url]

I have 2 lefty MIJ 62 RI Jazz basses. The white one is in pretty relic'd condition and has DiMarzio pups. The sunburst has Seymour Duncan pups fitted. Both are early 1990's but I would say the white one is brighter and the neck feels better. It is also very light in weight.
Many people say the Jap reissues are better than some MIA models as you dont get that awful lazy routing hole round the front pickup and can take the pickguard off, ala Jaco.