Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi from the Highlands

deejayen

Hello

I’m a guitarist who wants to put down some bass lines on home recordings. I’ve bought a book “Discovering Rock Bass” by Dominic Palmer, and my fingers have tied themselves in knots, and that’s just on the first ‘easy’ exercise – this bass playing is something different! When you start to listen it makes you appreciate the importance of bass, and the amazing skill of a lot of players. Hopefully I’ll eventually be able to work out bass lines and grooves in a number of styles including country, blues, soul, thru to some atmospheric and synthy stuff.

Initially I’ll be looking for some advice on what sort of bass to buy…

Hey Deejayen,

Welcome! You're sure to get loads of good advice here.
Be forewarned though: I was a keyboardist who wanted to put down some bass lines on home recordings. Once. ....

This site is vast, and there are loads of searchable topics about advice about first basses - especially in the General Discussion section. You can also start a thread with info about your budget and other things. People are gonna respond helpfully.

Good luck with your quest!

best,
bert

[sub]Halo. [/sub]
[sub]Another Highlander! Gle mhath! ... Where in the Highlands are you from?[/sub]
[sub]Welcome to the wonderful world of bass. Be warned though, for the bass clef is a seductive mistress. Addictive are the groovalicious fruits of the low frequencies. Aye, you'll soon become a [i]bassist[/i] who puts down [i]guitar[/i] on home recordings, to be sure![/sub]

Hoots Mon!

You've seen the light! welcome. No matter how often we tell guitards how hard It is they never believe us till they try it themselves.
There are so many great basses to choose from, best to start with a budget and buy the best 2nd hand you can.

Cheers Leen.

Thanks, everyone! I'm near Inverness. I started learning the basic Motown tune in the book last night - just using my guitar for now. I'll need to try out a few basses. Although I'll start looking at budget models I suspect I'll end up buying something a bit more expensive as I'm used to playing decent instruments, and can generally tell the difference. I'd rather pay a bit more for something which sounds good, plays well, and encourages me to play it rather than have to think about upgrading after a short while. A nicely set up second hand bass would be great. I popped into a music shop yesterday to have a quick look, and found my eye being drawn from the £110 Ibanez to the Overwater at the other end of the rack!

Hi deejayen,

I started out with a budget Yamaha, but my playing only really started when I acquired the first Overwater after being introduced to these basses by a pal who has two of them.

Each to their own, there was nothing wrong with the Yamaha, but the Overwater is in a different league, and the new one will be better again I'm hoping.

Welcome to the forum!

RK

[b] [size=4]"Hi from the Highlands"?? [/size][/b]

[b] [size=4]If you lived in a different part of the country would it have been "..'lo from the lowlands??" :lol: :lol: :lol: - sorry I couldn't resist - I'm surprised that somebody didn't beat me to it TBH..[/size][color=#222222] [/color][color=#222222] [/color][/b]

[b] [color=#222222] [/color][/b]

[b] [color=#222222] [/color][/b]

[size=4]Welcome..[/size]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1362322719' post='1998327']

[b] [size=4]If you lived in a different part of the country would it have been "..'lo from the lowlands??" :lol: :lol: :lol: [/size][/b]

[/quote]

Very likely! :D Oh, and thanks for the "Hearty welcome from Hertfordshire" - and to Steve-BBB for his double welcome! :D

[quote name='deejayen' timestamp='1362675416' post='2003237']
Very likely! :D Oh, and thanks for the "Hearty welcome from Hertfordshire" - and to Steve-BBB for his double welcome! :D
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: ..I like that..I might actually start using this..