Why become a member? ×

Bass with Whammy Bar

Tait

Do you get basses with whammy bars? and if not why? I know people like hipshot and warmoth do tremolo bridges for bass, but I never see stock basses with them. Don't they sound very good or something?

And has anyone on here got a bass with a whammy bar? Can i see some pics please? I just cant imagine a bass with a tremolo at all?

I don't have one, but I know I wouldn't mind one of these [url="http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/"]Tune[/url] TWXT models:

They do 4-, 5-, 6- and 8-string basses with tremolo. If you wonder what an 8-string with whammy sounds like ask [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=19iekoushoY"]Narucho[/url] for a demo. :)

Edited by bnt

Order [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Culture-Entwistle-Collection-Guitar/dp/1860745938/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211565010&sr=8-2"]this book[/url] and be stunned and amazed by the Alemics with "backward bigsby" tremolos. I'm not sure if you have to pull them up to lower the string tension, or just push down and have the note rise in pitch...

Either way, every bassist should have access to that book.... it is very drool-worthy.

Here's my two whammy equipped basses...

1995 Bass Collection - bought for my 18th birthday. Could never part with this one. Stock apart from the kahler which was bought from the back pages of Bassist in around 2000 for £60. Kahler trems are the best in my opinion - You can take them about 2 semi-tones up and almost an octave down... Dive bomb heaven!!! Bass collection basses may be a bit out of fashion now but they really are ace... Playability city.

Tune 6 String - bought secondhand in 2001 for £675. Martin Peterson replaced the PUPs with custom Kent Armstrong moulded Tune style ones and a Schack circuit - sounds ultra clean and modern especially with all the maple in the neck and body. Very playable and thin neck. The whammy is ok but not brilliant. It is a Standard strat style fulcrum design. You can't bend up and can only go down two semi-tones. Only really any good for vibrato.

The best albums for hearing kahler in action would be the first two Primus records IMO...

Queenofthedepths - how is the Kahler for you btw? Enjoying it?

Edited by Jono

[quote name='Jono' post='205425' date='May 24 2008, 10:14 AM']Queenofthedepths - how is the Kahler for you btw? Enjoying it?[/quote]
It's absolutely fantastic! I thought it'd be awkward to use whilst playing, like I've found with guitars, but I guess that's coz I'm just a crap guitarist - it's actually really easy and loads of fun :) Not sure my bandmates share that point of view though... yet! :huh:

Ah, the Fender VI! Not a bass, but a bass guitar. And yes, this is my personal pedantry. I play a BASS, not a guitar. The VI even specifically says on its headstock that it is a Bass Guitar. A Vintage Jazz tells the other half of the tale - "Electric Bass".
Guitar-like, yes, guitar family, no.

Boring old fart, me? Too right.
:)

[quote name='Jono' post='205425' date='May 24 2008, 10:14 AM']The best albums for hearing kahler in action would be the first two Primus records IMO...[/quote]

So that's a Khaler bridge on Les' CT is it? I had wondered.

I spent a little time looking into trem bridges but couldn't find one that matched the string spacing on the bass I wanted to fit one to. I think I had a bit more luck once I'd lost interest in the idea, but that was a hipshot which didn't look all that solid. I'll be looking into Khaler bridges then.....