Why become a member? ×

P bass split coils. Is it just me or…

richardjmorgan

Late to the game, I admit, but regarding the relative positioning of the segments: Leo knew [i]exactly[/i] what he was doing. Look at the prior state of the art looking forward: Leo invisioned octaves played by the thumb on the bass on flatwounds derived from double bass strings. So with the octave being two frets up two strings up, the G-D segment is still more proportionately in a similar position to the fretted octave compared to the A-E segment. That, combined with older technology amps and speakers having more difficulty reproducing the lowest fundamentals, the A-E segment needed to be more upstream to get more fundamental out of the tone so it would sound even across the strings for the technology of the day.

All the above comments are looking at the current state of the art looking backwards, not from where it was looking forwards.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1361558045' post='1987621']
This is quite surreal for me, as it's usually me getting frothy mouthed at people slagging off Gibson basses. I'm not sure who's genuinely upset, who's taking the mick and basically why the world appears to have turned upside down ;)
[/quote]
OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE? Or not done? Or… oh I don't even know any more.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1361566416' post='1987824']

A bass-off is out of the question for me due to the fact that I intend to burn my precisions in a solemn ceremony. I'm afraid that they just have to go. The pickups being the way they have been for 60 odd years is just not good enough anymore.
[/quote]
Yeah, sorry about that. Hope the burning goes well.

[quote name='richardjmorgan' timestamp='1361612432' post='1988176']
Yeah, sorry about that. Hope the burning goes well.
[/quote]

I suppose I could always sell them. Does anyone want to buy three gorgeous looking, gorgeous sounding precisions?

Lee Skla made fame and fortune with his pups arse about face, I have always wanted to commission a p bass with dual reverse P's to get articulation in the bottom two and a mellower top end, as i find i move my plucking hand down on the lower two and find i move it up for the higher strings. But i can see where Leo was coming from with just a passive roll off. making the bass bassier and the highs zingier.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1361618095' post='1988288']
I have a solution brothers. Simply buy a left-handed Precision and flip it over and restring:

[/quote]

And there we have it. The solution is at last before us for all to see. Thanks ET you are a true scholar and gentleman.

This has got me thinking.. my 'project bitsa bass is currently heading in the MM/P direction. Due to a wish to experiment with pickup distance from bridge, my next plan is a rectangular rout so I can put anything anywhere. I'll have a go with MM/P and MM/reverseP at some point.
Don't anyone hold your breath - this project has been on the go for a couple of years already!

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1361620458' post='1988348']
This has got me thinking.. my 'project bitsa bass is currently heading in the MM/P direction. Due to a wish to experiment with pickup distance from bridge, my next plan is a rectangular rout so I can put anything anywhere. I'll have a go with MM/P and MM/reverseP at some point.
Don't anyone hold your breath - this project has been on the go for a couple of years already!
[/quote]

You could always reverse the whole guitar. The body could have the tuners in it and the headstock (now the body) could have the pickups in it. I've seen pictures of this before and I bet Leo Fender never thought about doing it - silly man!