Why become a member? ×

dodgy fender p bass

is it just me or is someone gonna get ripped off here?looks shady to me
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110253679655&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=001[/url]

Edited by stu_g

[quote name='bassmanady' post='203964' date='May 21 2008, 10:58 PM']Its the local guitar shop that worries me :huh:[/quote]

ha ha yeah :)

For an ebay seller with Fender in his id he seems to be a little lacking in knowledge about his own bass ...

Well, that's it ended. Seeing as it wasn't set as private, I've taken the opportunity to contact the buyer to let them know that if they go through with this, they'll end up with a highly overpriced Squier (or something else!)

+1 about the guitar shop bit. I don't know what's worse - someone that lacking in knowledge can be in a position to give out such "advice", or the seller making that bit up to appear clueless.

Hi there

so I'm the dope who just bought this bass off mister fenderred. think i got a tad hot headed

Good news is that he contacted me back with a 'serial number' and said he would refund me if I didn't want it.

Just wanted to see what you thought of the plausibility of this serial number explanation.

He says that the serial at the bottom of the neck, once he has taken it off the body (not on the headstock) is MN621011

This does equate with a Mexican 96-97. Maybe it is just a mexican neck on a squier body...

The Jazz ashtrays do look suspicious but they could easily have been put on later..

Are there any other checks I could request?? Did 96/97 Mexican Precisions have the serial on the back of the headstock?

Hope you can help

Cheers

[quote name='spychal' post='204682' date='May 22 2008, 11:46 PM']Hi there

so I'm the dope who just bought this bass off mister fenderred. think i got a tad hot headed

Good news is that he contacted me back with a 'serial number' and said he would refund me if I didn't want it.

Just wanted to see what you thought of the plausibility of this serial number explanation.

He says that the serial at the bottom of the neck, once he has taken it off the body (not on the headstock) is MN621011

This does equate with a Mexican 96-97. Maybe it is just a mexican neck on a squier body...

The Jazz ashtrays do look suspicious but they could easily have been put on later..

Are there any other checks I could request?? Did 96/97 Mexican Precisions have the serial on the back of the headstock?

Hope you can help

Cheers[/quote]

As far as I'm aware, no Fenders have ever had their serial numbers at the bottom of the neck, only a production date if anything. I'm pretty sure Mex Fenders had their serial numbers printed on the front of the headstock, under the logo.

I'm sure a Fenderhead will be along shortly to clarify this.

[quote name='spychal' post='204682' date='May 22 2008, 11:46 PM']Maybe it is just a mexican neck on a squier body...[/quote]

I don't think so. It's a probably a sticker from a Stratocaster, and it looks like whoever applied it didn't even bother taking off the film backing paper.

Hamster

Spychal wait 'til it gets there and take some proper pics for us to look at.

Your not talking about your lifes savings here so all maybe not lost. £200 isnt a huge amount unless its a 2nhd squire or other replica.

IF and thats intended to be a big IF it has any Fender parts on it then its actually a good deal!

MAKE SURE teh perosn your buying from KNOWS your going to be sending it back and expecting a ful refund if tis not what he says it is..

Bob.

+1 : Cancel the sale and spend your £200 here. You'll get a much better bass for your money.

I've had an exchange with the seller. I think he genuinely believes it's a real Fender.
However he is well aware of the problems and was before the auction ended.
He also told me the serial number he found after taking the neck off (see below for where the s/n should be)

This is either an extremely rare one-off Fender that should be in a museum or it's a clumsy attempt (by someone) at duping a beginner. My money is on the latter.

Either way it should remain his problem and not yours, Spychal, especially as he claims he bought it from a Fender dealer and had it checked by a local music shop who confirmed it pukka .....

A Made in Mexico headstock looks like this. The s/n is right there and you can clearly see the differences between that and the Ebay one.
Real one:

Ebay one:

I had a Mex Jazz 03, The serial Number was below the Fender logo on the headstock, same with presisions.

You wouldnt get a serial on the butt of the neck, only a date sometimes.

There is definatly something up with this bass. somethings not quite right.

Edit: Oh someone beet me to it.

Edited by Jobiebass

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='204792' date='May 23 2008, 09:41 AM']I had a Mex Jazz 03, The serial Number was below the Fender logo on the headstock, same with presisions.

You wouldnt get a serial on the butt of the neck, only a date sometimes.[/quote]

I have a CIJ Precision neck and the serial number is on the heel, just outside the pocket so it's visible when the body is fitted.

[quote name='bremen' post='204802' date='May 23 2008, 09:54 AM']I have a CIJ Precision neck and the serial number is on the heel, just outside the pocket so it's visible when the body is fitted.[/quote]

Yeah, but you don't have to remove the neck to see it, do you? That's the part that stinks.

Hi

He says that the serial number is actually on the body presumably at the neck fastening point, visible when you take the neck off. Is this usual?

Could this mean a replacement neck has been put on and that the body itself is authentic?

I'm doing my best to get a refund but he is getting right arsey.

Cheers

Martin