Why become a member? ×

Jason Newsted's bass '89

Graham

I've been watching video of Metallica's performance on the Shattered Justice tour in '89 (Christ, they were good back then) and I'm trying to work out what bass Jason's using: it's a black 5 string with a four over one headstock, J/P/J pickups, oval inlays and a seperated bridge and tail-piece.

I'd have said Aria or maybe Yamaha from the body shape, but the headstock looks wrong - he does play an Aria and a Wal later in the video - anyone know?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40JIAQ9BDvI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40JIAQ9BDvI[/url]

I seem to remember it was a stock Alembic Spoiler that Jason happened upon and liked , and so he subsequently got Alembic to make him some custom basses after that . Some of the custom jobs were based on the Spoiler and some were based on the Europa model , if I recall correctly . The standard Spoiler was one of the more affordable basses in the Alembic range at the time , and I think the custom models made for Jason Newstead had the more upmarket Alembic Series electronics packages installed in them .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360517035' post='1971589']
I seem to remember it was a stock Alembic Spoiler that Jason happened upon and liked , and so he subsequently got Alembic to make him some custom basses after that . Some of the custom jobs were based on the Spoiler and some were based on the Europa model , if I recall correctly . The standard Spoiler was one of the more affordable basses in the Alembic range at the time , and I think the custom models made for Jason Newstead had the more upmarket Alembic Series electronics packages installed in them .
[/quote]

Are these the ones he also had waterproofed?

If memory serves, he had them waterproofed as he used to sweat a lot whilst playing live - which isn't always desirable, pouring a pint of sweat into your active electronics.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1360541929' post='1972211']

If memory serves, he had them waterproofed as he used to sweat a lot whilst playing live - which isn't always desirable, pouring a pint of sweat into your active electronics.
[/quote]

Sounds about right. There's a video knocking around YouTube somewhere of one of his live solos from the late 80's, and it looks like he's literally been in the shower, bass an' all.

[/quote]

I don't know if the Alembics were waterproofed , but I know some of his subsequent custom Spectors and definitely all of his Sadowskys were waterproofed .

Are these the ones he also had waterproofed?[/quote]

That would be the Sadowskys that got the waterproof treatment from Roger. He complained that his Spectors that he was previously using would cut out from the moisture collected inside. The last time I saw Metallica live was in '94 and he was still using the Spectors then.
The metallica boys have heaters onstage because they don't like getting cold!