Why become a member? ×

EUB Advise

gypsyjazzer

I have a 'Palatino'--thinking of upgrading. Time to move on. A few questions:

a) Are the semi-acoustic's nearer the D/B sound?

B) The 'Palatino' is awkward to hold---poor design. I have converted a drum stand to fix the 'Palatino on`--works OK--[b]but[/b]---the stand does tend to move. Those of you with EUB's on stands do you have the same problem? Also with the 'Palatino' on the stand it does not feel as good as having body contact with the bass, even with the poor design.

c) In your opinion what are the best EUB's out there--for sound & holding.

Look forward to your knowledgeable advise.

Thanks.

Due the 'stick' design of the vast majority of EUBs, they will all tend to spin away from you when you play them. One exception is the Eminence which has a 'T' bar design endpin (they call it the 'steadifoot' or something), which stops the bass from rotating. You can buy the steadifoot as a spare part, but it might not fit your endpin hole.

The problems with the cheaper EUBs is the inability to adjust the hip brace/body bar/whatever to suit your height and playing position, but very few EUBs actually have that feature - the Landscape basses are the only ones I know of.

Having said that, I have found that the more expensive EUBs have better ergonomic design and are much more comfortable to play. The Yamaha Silent bass and the Bassix New Tech are two that I've played which seemed pretty stable when playing.

The best EUB for sound and holding? I'd say the Eminence - but then I would because I own one! The Yamaha is pretty comfy to play and Chris Minh Doky gets a great sound out of his. The Bespoke Superlight sounds pretty good, though I've never played one and the Bassix is nice to play but I've never heard it plugged in.

Te problem with comparing decent EUBs is that they're so rare It's difficult to impossible to be in a position to try more than one or two.

I've owned several (at least 10) eub's and have played many more

Without doubt the best acoustic sounding was the Kolstein Travel Bass, which I've owned two of but had to let go due to the necks being too thin for my knackered left hand.

2nd best (amplified) acoustic sound imo is the Eminence. Although it won't spin due to the clever endpin design if one is used to a real bass the skinny Eminence takes some adjusting to.

The yamaha SLB100 is by far the closest in feel (neck, body & balance) to a 3/4 upright acoustic bass but the stock pup which sounds great bowed lets it down for pizz. An easy fix by installing a Full Circle or Underwood. I get a great sound from mine with both pups and Kostein Heritage strings.

The Yamaha SLB200 is a good compromise but doesn't sit there like the heavier 100 and can spin around until one is used to it.

I can't choose between the three, they all have different qualities. I prefer the Yamaha necks and bodies to play and hold!

A close contender to the SLB100 would be a Mo Clifton, but maybe a change of pup would benefit the sound.

Have fun choosing :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1360278292' post='1968149']
When I first started playing double bass I struggled to hold it for quite a while. How long have you been playing the Palatino?

For the record these days it feels like having a drunk friend to cuddle, it's all good until I get the bow out and then I realise how much I rely on right thumb to steady it.
[/quote]

Just what i was thinking yesterday in practice. I have to keep it angled against my hip or all mobility in the left hand vanishes. This is where an angled endpin would come in, I guess, but not an easy thing to organise.

OP, sorry for the hijack. :)

Edited by fatback

Thats what I like about NS Designs EUB instruments - they all come on a variety self supports ( I use the standalone tripod ) and you can just walk up to the instrument and play without needing to hold the thing upright ( see my separate thread about DB and EUB injuries!). I have just sold my CR4 and I would most definitely go with this again if I need an EUB ...and for the fantastic sound ( arco and pizzicato ) !

http://www.nedsteinberger.com/instruments/crbass.php

Many thanks everybody for your very useful info. A 'lot' of EUB's to look at.
I have had the Palatino now for a no. of years--as an alternative to D/B for some gigs. Many modifications along the way---pick-ups / made different body supports / converted a drum stand to play& hold---never happy!

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1360348735' post='1969175']
Thats what I like about NS Designs EUB instruments - they all come on a variety self supports ( I use the standalone tripod ) and you can just walk up to the instrument and play without needing to hold the thing upright ( see my separate thread about DB and EUB injuries!). I have just sold my CR4 and I would most definitely go with this again if I need an EUB ...and for the fantastic sound ( arco and pizzicato ) !

http://www.nedsteinberger.com/instruments/crbass.php
[/quote]

+1

I'm an NS owner as well and I love that little stand. :)

It's leaves everything in the right position to just walk up and start playing.

Only bugbears I've had was a problem with the split pins holding the head section to the stand dropping out (but the original design was easily improved on with a nut and bolt) and the collar on one of the machine heads vibrating loose and rattling (dab of clear nail varnish on the thread before retightening it fixed that).

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1360369528' post='1969653']
A gripe, though - the very functional stand looks absolutely horrid, especially compared to the shapely form of a real double bass... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Doesn't matter in my case, the audience are far too busy looking at me... :rolleyes:

Big raps for my NSCR5, used to have a cheap EUB and the "neck to stand" join was a total nightmare, the NS is a brilliantly engineered bit of kit, never experiences and 'spin away', just make sure you do the bolts up as tight as you need

Currently selling mine too ;-)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360679558' post='1974461']
Here's a question for my fellow NS users - the neck to stand join, is it a bare metal plate surrounding the screw or does it have some sort of padding on it?
[/quote]

...nice soft big black rubber gasket about 1mm thick between the chrome and the wood.