Why become a member? ×

Finding a drummer!

Toasting

Why is it so hard?

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/community/drummer-wanted-for-ska2tone-covers-band/1008303792"]http://www.gumtree.com/p/community/drummer-wanted-for-ska2tone-covers-band/1008303792[/url]

I've also posted on joinmyband and am doing so on partysounds but any other advice please?
I know there are a few drummers who lurk around here. Hiding in the bushes etc.

So far we've auditioned 5 people.
One kept time like a fcuked clock, another had no kit, with the other three breadheads.

Tut tut and keep searching?

Going through the same thing at the moment mate. I feel your pain!
<rant>We auditioned 4 the other week, 3 of which were a complete waste of time. So with a gig looming we plucked for the 4th, who wasn't bad. Gave him the set list, a spotify playlist, told him to learn them all, guitarist went through every song. Turns up to the gig and he hadn't even looked at the second set. Or the first set. I've never worked so hard trying to get eye contact to cue the bugger, counting him in for every song. Needless to say, looking again. There seems to be an incredible number of complete numpties out there who think that if they can tap their fingers almost in time to a tune then they would be a good drummer and are qualified to answer an ad for "Experienced drummer, reader preferred with own gear and transport". Out of 15 replies to the ad, the 4 we auditioned met 2 out of the 4 criteria, the rest didn't even get that far!</rant>

Maybe it could be something to do with the fact that you seem to have a problem with 'breadheads' as you
mention them and the fact that there won't be paid work straight away? Most (all?) of the good players around
will want to be getting paid work,especially if they are rehearsing every week and maybe paying for it.Also,they
will probably have other commitments,which you also don't want. I'm not saying that you won't find a good player
to join your band,but it may be limiting your search somewhat.

I'm struggling. been looking since August for one for my originals band. One didn't have transport. One could barely rehearse. One joined then the week later said couldn't handle the commitment. Then our singer found someone who will help us out til we can find someone permanent, Now our singer has nodules on her vocal chords. So now the guitarist and I have no drummer or singer(temp). So we are gonna do a side project in the meantime. guess what? Need to find a drummer!

I've been looking too.
Had one drummer who turned up stoned, couldn't play over 120BPM, couldn't finish a song & went out twice during the 2 hour session for a joint whilst the rest of us waited until he came back to get started again.

I don't mind if he likes to have a toke in his own time, but at the 1st band meet up? He might as well have turned up drunk.

As for other musicians, do they actually exist outside any major cities? Glasgow & Edinburgh seem to have a decent amount of musicians, but Edinburgh is @ 1 hour's drive & Glasgow is @ 1 1/2 hours & that's to the near side of them. Here in Perth we have lead guitarists, rhythm guitarists, acoustic guitarists & air guitarists. Oh & we have singers who haven't sung outside their bedroom!

I guess this thread was a bit of a rant, so feel free to air frustrations here.
I appreciate your points Doddy but we are looking for someone that will enjoy playing music in a hobby band rather than treating it as a job. There is money in it but we don't want that to be the sole motivator.

Build it and they will come :)
Kevin Costner

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1359568764' post='1956834']
Maybe it could be something to do with the fact that you seem to have a problem with 'breadheads' as you
mention them and the fact that there won't be paid work straight away? Most (all?) of the good players around
will want to be getting paid work,especially if they are rehearsing every week and maybe paying for it.Also,they
will probably have other commitments,which you also don't want. I'm not saying that you won't find a good player
to join your band,but it may be limiting your search somewhat.
[/quote]
+1
When I was starting up my band and there were no gigs booked, it took a whole year to get everyone I wanted (although it is a ten-piece!) and most of them were friends of friends. When I was looking for a drummer a couple of weeks ago and we have lots of gigs booked nearly all the people who applied were of a high standard and had been gigging for years.

I also put the following line in our ad: "All gigs are paid"

Same situ here.
Ad up on Sunday,had 12 replies,auditioning two tonight, would have done more days/auditions this week but the singer couldn't be arsed seeing as he's now in another band he didn't tell us about.
Guitarist on hols from tomorrow for a week, so that's out.
If I haven't brained the singer with my heaviest bass by then, we may well do more.
Complete head f*** with loads of mails from over qualified session musos through to one who decided he couldn't actually learn any songs without a kit in front of him.