Why become a member? ×

James Jamerson

paul_5

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1359546224' post='1956299']
Apparently he had to do about 60 takes of years of a clown, in order to satisfy the producers
[/quote]

I'm not sure about that. That track had Bob Babbitt on bass.....unless that's the reason why!!

Also from what I've read he was pretty untouchable and got little or no grief from anybody in the early days.

Not quite - read "standing in the shadows of Motown" Babbitt himself said that people's work was often replaced after they thought they were finished and had left. Read what he say bout mock contracts and getting paid

Babbitt tells a story of listening to a jukebox and arguing with Jamerson about who was playing the bassline

Edited by Geek99

Yeah it was pretty lax back then, probably why the Carol Kaye claims can't be 100% discounted.

I'm fairly sure that it's been pretty much agreed since that it's Babbitt though. Even the Jamerson tribute site (bassland I think) doesn't credit it to Jamerson.

I'm no expert on their styles, but that would be a very restrained and structured bassline for Jamerson. Even the basic lines he played had some interesting parts. That's not disrespecting the bass line of Babbitt though..it's exactly what the song needs.

And back to the track, What's Going On, was that the one he played while drunk and lying flat on his back?!

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359549956' post='1956385']
And back to the track, What's Going On, was that the one he played while drunk and lying flat on his back?!
[/quote]

Not like you can tell, but yes, so the story goes...

@pobrien_ie

Possibly the recorded version [b]is[/b] Babbitt, doesnt mean that the book is wrong about Jamerson doing lots of takes. Smokey and Norman, Whitfield were such control freaks that hey may have put a Babbitt track on after jamerson did those takes because they didnt like what he did.. He did have a free hand but he did also have a serious temper and the drink didnt help it.

Babbitt said he went to question the residuals he was getting and found contracts for tracks that he knew he had played on, but made out to other people, so I dont think even the players themselves know for certain. The residuals wer paid on the basis of these contracts, many of which were written out after the fact. They were known as "mock contracts"

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1359558391' post='1956612']
@pobrien_ie

Possibly the recorded version [b]is[/b] Babbitt, doesnt mean that the book is wrong about Jamerson doing lots of takes. Smokey and Norman, Whitfield were such control freaks that hey may have put a Babbitt track on after jamerson did those takes because they didnt like what he did.. He did have a free hand but he did also have a serious temper and the drink didnt help it.

Babbitt said he went to question the residuals he was getting and found contracts for tracks that he knew he had played on, but made out to other people, so I dont think even the players themselves know for certain. The residuals wer paid on the basis of these contracts, many of which were written out after the fact. They were known as "mock contracts"
[/quote]

Yeah fair point. I have the book too, but don't remember tears of a clown being mentioned. Good reason to read it again I suppose. I know Ed Friedland's R&B bass book mentions it as a Jamerson track too.