Why become a member? ×

Looking for a cheap/light to go with a Ashdown MAG300 head

Mofo46

Hi,
Looking for a bit of advice on a cab, my girlfriend bought me an ashdown mag head a few years ago and basically apart from a little recording hasn't been used (criminal I know) but I've never needed that much power and used a combo when needed (normally a three piece acoustic).
Also the weight of the cabs put me off, at 29kg for the 2x10 I think I'd get bored of carrying it about, I'm not the biggest bloke and for an acoustic 3 piece it might be a bit overkill!
If I sell it now I'll hardly get anything for it so I'm looking at an alternative cab. I've mainly used a roland 100 cube amp (12" speaker and cheap) and an old Ashdown ABM 115 which I liked but was pretty heavy at 33kg but I didn't really get on with the 15" speaker without a tweeter, found it nice and warm but a touch flat when slapping etc.
I've also got an order pending with Thomann and started to look at their cabs.
Has anyone got any experience of these cheap Harley Benton cabs?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bb210t.htm

I'm basically looking at most 2x10 cabs on this page which are reasonably light;

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=2x10_bass_cabinets&oa=pra

I could get a used mag cab but again it'd the weight - I'm checking on here of course just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I'm also interested in the Ashdown Mi12 but think I'd want the Mi head so kinda defeats the point of it being cheap!

It seems to be expensive to go light!!!
Thanks in advance

I've got one of those, its pretty decent, and its decent volume wise, but it doesnt take effects too well. Fuzz can sounds very fizzy through it. From your post though, thats possibly not something that you'll encounter. Its built like a tank though, and its not overly heavy.

Ive got one of these too, very impressed with it actually. Great construction, tweeter is good and has a variable attenuator. Weighs just over 20kg iirc. Bloody good value for the price and will suit your MAG very well.
Im having a bit of a clear out of gear at the moment if you are interested...
Geoff

Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately I think the gear your selling is a little out of my price range, perhap the Hydrive cab isn't but my ashdown head it the full width one, the size of the 2x10 so I'd like something close to that size.
The Harley Benton is looking good then, I do use some effects but its more to fill the sound then to go for it. Oh and I forgot to mention I also will be playing my EUB through it so looking for something that's no mellow but warm-ish.

Spotted the GK mbe212, which is definitely interesting, very light; again anyone got/used one?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_212mbe_8_ohms.htm
Cheers

[quote name='Mofo46' timestamp='1359425089' post='1954663']
Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately I think the gear your selling is a little out of my price range, perhap the Hydrive cab isn't but my ashdown head it the full width one, the size of the 2x10 so I'd like something close to that size.
The Harley Benton is looking good then, I do use some effects but its more to fill the sound then to go for it. Oh and I forgot to mention I also will be playing my EUB through it so looking for something that's no mellow but warm-ish.

Spotted the GK mbe212, which is definitely interesting, very light; again anyone got/used one?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_212mbe_8_ohms.htm
Cheers
[/quote]

I have the GK 212 - highly recommended. Nice and light too. Tweeter is rubbish but sounds ok with it switched off.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_212mbe_8_ohms.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...2mbe_8_ohms.htm[/url]
Cheers
[/quote]

those 212 mbes are nice cabs, tweeter is a bit rubbish but they are nice sounding, i think a few ppl had some probs but for the price there very good, it was only the sound of the hydrive speaker that made me get that instead over the mbe.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_212mbe_8_ohms.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...2mbe_8_ohms.htm[/url]
Cheers
[/quote]

Whereabouts are you located? If you want to give my HB a try to see if it's what you are looking for (or not, of course lol), then be my guest. No obligation or anything, just trying to help out a fellow BCer.

Im close to Brighton, by the way.

Cheers

Geoff

how wide is the head? i've got an ashdown 4x8 with neo speakers that i'll be selling very soon, it's almost exactly 20kg and nice and compact, if you're in the north east you'd be welcome to try before you buy. (although i could probably post it without too much fuss)

i'll not want much money for it either, maybe about £100 + P+P, it's a bit scruffy but it sounds great.

Matt

Yes the 4x8 is a great cab too actually. Thats another one Ive been tempted to buy before, but never seem to find one at the right price. They are standard width arent they? Ie about 480mm or so? I wasnt sure if the op meant his head was that sort of width or not - hopefully it is, as that would be ideal for him I reckon.
Cheers
Geoff

Hi,
My head is just over 600 m&m wide, i.e.the width of the 2x10 that I don't want to carry around! Oh and I'm in Southampton so but far away unfortunately.
Maybe I just need to take the hit and sell - an almost unused head due to it's size (such a waste given what I'd get for it). I don't know how/want to attempt to re-box it.
I'll keep an eye on here for ads and any suggestions are greatly received,
Cheers

Did you see the Hartke 210 TP on Thomann's site? 16kg and £110. Both light and cheap!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_210_tp.htm

Looks wide enough, but might want to look at the depth.

I do have the Ashdown Mag 210 cab - it is pretty heavy, in hindsight I wish I'd just bought the 4x10....only 8kg more! On the positive side - it's a very good sounding cab.
Don't mind the weight personally, but I'm a bit on the large side!

Hi, yes did see the harkte 210, it's seems a good price but I don't have any experience of hartke gear and only ever seen there aluminium cones on stage with rock bands so wasn't sure if they'd fit the tone I'm after.
Basically I just wanted some advice before I buy a cab without trying it first - seems like a flawed plan I know! Better to buy a well known brand especially if its that cheap!

I've got some experience with aluminium speaker cones, and I wouldn't rule them out - though I would recommend trying if you could.
About 8-10 years ago, I was in an originals band, and we shared a rehearsal space with another band - and kitted it out between us. The other band provided a Hartke amp & speaker cab - and I was always happy with my tone. Our sound was acoustic and jangly electric guitars, with big vocal harmonies - certainly not 'rock'. I also owned a Behringer combo that had an aluminium cone, which served me well for years.