Why become a member? ×

Doing Auditions ?

iain1985

Im just getting back into playing with bands after taking a year out. Ive replied to a few adds and have been invited along to a couple of auditions. Ive never been in a position where I have had to audition for a band its always been with mates or people i knew already. Does anyone have any advice so I can get the gig. Its all originals and they have stuff recorded. What do I do ? Do i figure it out note for note or work out my own parts for it? If anyone could give me any advice it would be much apprecieated, not just on playing the songs, but on anything else i might come across. cheers.

Figure out their songs note-for-note, try to cop the tone too - if they're established songs then they probably don't want your input on them (or if they do, you'll find out when you get together to rehearse). Leave your pedalboard at home or take off all the stuff that you think is capable of frightening a guitarist. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='iain1985' post='202351' date='May 19 2008, 06:18 PM']Im just getting back into playing with bands after taking a year out. Ive replied to a few adds and have been invited along to a couple of auditions. Ive never been in a position where I have had to audition for a band its always been with mates or people i knew already. Does anyone have any advice so I can get the gig. Its all originals and they have stuff recorded. What do I do ? Do i figure it out note for note or work out my own parts for it? If anyone could give me any advice it would be much apprecieated, not just on playing the songs, but on anything else i might come across. cheers.[/quote]
Not quite wholly on topic, but may be useful. I've only been ot one audition, which was a farce, but it had some learning points.

1) For every song, find out what key they play it in. If the singer doesn't know, start worrying.
2) At the audition, try and work out who is in charge, and whether they are competent. A band with no musical leader is going to be a lot of effort if you are offered the gig.

In my case, an inexperienced singer pulled a group together, but did not have a clue what to do next. The initial get-together was also the last.

Prepare by asking them these things in advance of the audition. You might impress them just by being the only one who actually thought to ask.

During the audition, check out the drummer. If the drummer's crap then the rest of the band had better be really, really good to make up for the fact that you will sound rubbish as a rhythm section for as long as he or she is still behind the kit. It the drummer's good then it really doesn't matter if everyone else is rubbish.

I've had one audition ever. I turned up two hours late (got lost and then lost again) and asked them right afterwards if I'd got it. That one went alright actually.

Leave the effects at home - as well as the monster gig rig if you have one. Don't turn up with a practice amp though either. (If there's backline there, don't bring an amp). If they're a folk band, don't dress like you'd rather be in Metallica.

People are so shallow that getting the gig will probably have very little to do with your playing - unless your playing fits perfectly.

When I auditioned for SOUL7 three years ago I had very little live experience and that was in a sixties band and a seventies classic rock one however I asked if I could say a few words before we started.

I told them that I was not the most accomplished player BUT I would play solid uncomplicated bass in time with the drums, I would always be first to arrive at gigs and rehearsal and that I would ensure that any songs we had agreed to do I would have ready for the next practice.

I got the gig and a few weeks later two of the band told me that they had made their decision that I was going to be a good band member on the strength of the speech before we had played a note !!

Tony

[quote name='The Funk' post='202514' date='May 19 2008, 11:25 PM']During the audition, check out the drummer.[/quote]

If you click with the drummer the gig's probably yours. So if you want the gig, talk to the drummer a lot and really pay attention to him when you're playing - chances are nobody else in the band does, so he'll be keen to have you back. :)

Add your own fills to their established sound. They should want to use your unique input and not just have a clone Also work out the most difficult bass parts and do something special to them. If time is limited in the audition, they will potentially test you by having you play them. Above all just be you. If you fit, you fit. Break something :)

Probably the most important thing is to remember..... THEY are auditioning for YOU just as much as you are auditioning for them!

If they come across as rude, arrogant, obnoxious etc..... or if their music isn't up to much, then feel proud to say "no thanks" before they offer you the job/tell you where to go.... :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='202514' date='May 19 2008, 10:25 PM']Prepare by asking them these things in advance of the audition. You might impress them just by being the only one who actually thought to ask.[/quote]
This is answer that matters most - ask what they want. Some bands like things very tightly scripted and others prefer to keep it loose with new ideas flowing in all the time. Neither is necessarily better than the other but it is sensible to make some enquiries before turning up; you save your time, have a better chance of delivering what they want and also get a head start on forming your opinion on whether you want to commit to the group should they like what you do.

Wulf

I have only ever had one audition (with my current band) and I found that, although I was the least best player/backing vocalist out of the three that auditioned (don't get me wrong - I can still kick ass! :)), I was the one who 'fitted' in the best, and therefore got the job.

I think that this it related to what cetera said earlier about making sure that you get on with the rest of the band - it makes it so much easier for them to choose you.

[quote name='iain1985' post='202351' date='May 19 2008, 06:18 PM']Its all originals and they have stuff recorded. What do I do ? Do i figure it out note for note or work out my own parts for it? If anyone could give me any advice it would be much apprecieated, not just on playing the songs, but on anything else i might come across. cheers.[/quote]
If they're still gigging with the old bassist, try and get to a gig.

Go through the recorded stuff and work out which bits (if any) need to be note for note and also if there's any nice licks you'd like to copy anyway.

Make sure you've got everything you'll need for the audition before you set out. Write out a checklist if you've got a memory like mine.