Why become a member? ×

G&L SB2 tribute .... Wow !!

hamfist

Hopefully this is the final instalment of my search for an intermediate priced P bass with a J-type neck.
I have played a load of MIM Fenders (including several of the expensive deluxe P's) and the cheaper Squiers over the last few weeks. Also one MIA P bass. (I didn't play more MIA's simply because they were generally out of my price range). Each one I have been disappointed with. Many of them sounded pretty good, but the quality control and build quality on these things is simply awful. Not one could I get a decent action on, even after a decent attack with Allen Keys. I was starting to lose a bit of hope to be honest.
Anyway, I just received one of these G&L SB2 tributes , bought from Germany where they are way cheaper, yesterday, and wow !!!
Even had a band practice yesterday to give it a proper hiding. This thing is simply exactly what I have been wanting. A proper P bass tone, and yes it also has that J pickup for some tonal variety, with decent build quality. A good action. Nothing fancy, just does what I want.
I can't overdo saying how impressed I am with the build quality of this Indonesian instrument. The nut is cut to perfection. The neck and action are as good as my CIJ Fender Jazz, and that's good. The high mass bridge is a solid looking thing of functional beauty. The neck/pocket joint seems tight and snug. The metallic black finish is smooth and even. If I'm being picky, the fret edges are not sanded to perfection and are not as smooth as many more expensive basses, but they are not in a state that I would bother doing anything to them. I'd say the build qualiy is roughly Lakland Skyline level.
Why can't Fender build basses like this, simple, straightforward, good quality control.
Really don't think I'm even going to consider buying Fender in the future.

Oh, and the P bass tone on this SB2 is a cracker ! With the band, I wasn't loud and overbearing but every note was defined. Great pickups. Blending in the bridge pickup seems to work in a much smoother way than every other Jazz or PJ I've played. The bridge pickup on it's own is a bit weak and lacking in balls, but it works really well in a blend situation.

So, this bass gets a 10/10 from me for anyone wanting a reasonably priced P bass with a J neck. I'm done with basses for now. Just got to sort out my pedals. Hmmmmmm.

[url="http://www.ephotobay.com/share/sb2-body.html"][/url]
[url="http://www.ephotobay.com/share/sb2-full.html"][/url]
[url="http://www.ephotobay.com/share/sb2-body-b.html"][/url]

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1359018199' post='1948422']
Why can't Fender build basses like this, simple, straightforward, good quality control.
[/quote]

They can. The Classic Vibe P I bought a few weeks back is perfect and I cannot find a single fault with it. I guess what you are meaning is why can't they do it 100% of the time but there is a chance that the G&L you have is a good one just as the Classic Vibe I have is a good one?

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1359024273' post='1948526']
They can. The Classic Vibe P I bought a few weeks back is perfect and I cannot find a single fault with it. I guess what you are meaning is why can't they do it 100% of the time but there is a chance that the G&L you have is a good one just as the Classic Vibe I have is a good one?
[/quote]

Very true, and of course one person's experience is never incontrovertable proof of anything. However, hearsay on the "web" is that the tribute series generally are very well made and only a very small % fall through the "quality gap". IME there hardly seems any quality control at the Mexican Fender factory at all. In fact, if anything, I'd say the better Squiers are better made than the Mexican Fenders.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1359018199' post='1948422']
I'd say the build qualiy is roughly Lakland Skyline level.
[/quote]
Not surprising as they are built by Cort who also make Lakland Skylines, (and also make for Fender, Ibanez etc.)
I have a G&L L2500 Tribute and it is an awesome bass. As you say the build quality is fantastic and you really do get more bang for your buck.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1359025242' post='1948550']

Not surprising as they are built by Cort who also make Lakland Skylines, (and also make for Fender, Ibanez etc.)
I have a G&L L2500 Tribute and it is an awesome bass. As you say the build quality is fantastic and you really do get more bang for your buck.
[/quote] ... what I was going to say... prob from the same factory!