Why become a member? ×

Have you owned or played a Warwick Dolphin Pro II (Bolt On)- opinions?

bagsieblue

I absolutely agree with you. I owned a Dolphin pro 2 for a time. Loved it. It is capable of much of what a jazz can do, but also much of what a jazz [i]can't[/i] do (being active, and all that).

I love Dolphin pro 2 (I'll admit that I gassed a wee bit for yours) ... but when it comes to jazz gas it's not just about the sound, is it? It's about that big unweidly slab of history, the weight, the feel, and the classic aesthetic too.

In an ideal world I'd have both.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1358793061' post='1945157']
... but when it comes to jazz gas it's not just about the sound, is it? It's about that big unweidly slab of history, the weight, the feel, and the classic aesthetic too.

In an ideal world I'd have both.
[/quote]

I could list what I'd have in an idea world but I'd get RSA from typing the list out :lol:

Seriously, Aarrgh - don't say that, I'm trying to talk myself out of Jazz GAS, as I hopefully might be needing the honky sound soon.
My first 'proper' bass was a MIM Deluxe Active Fender Jazz - still miss it, but I could say that about most stuff I've moved on :blush: .
Do prefer the Dolphin though - as a very wise man on this very forum once told me "at least you'll stand out from the usual Fender crowd"
And I do like to be a very slightly a little different - some have even described me as "odd".

Aye, you're right enough. Stick with the Dolphin, it will definately do what you need it to.

It's a great bass, totally different to other wrwicks of the time, and quite under-rated. Also, in terms of build quality it's a cut above your average Fender.

I know that suggestions like this are taboo on this forum, but why not give it a bit of a mod to spice up your relationship with the beastie? I had a transparent glossy red Dolphin, but the ash beneath looked amazing, really nice grain. I toyed with the idea of sanding it down and giving it a natural oil finish. It would have looked so much better.

Thanks Fionn - great minds and all that.

I had thought of stripping it back (along with a maybe couple of other Warwick's that could do with a spruce up - this time suggested by another wise old sage from BC..(you know who you are)
I did some research and saw comments that the grain is tight on the Pro II's and it was a job and a half to get all the paint/primer out - also a bit of pot luck as to whether or not the natual wood underneath is attractive or not.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1358864905' post='1946226']
I like them. The Thumb is my favourite but the Dolphin sounds quite similar. Couldn't get on with the weird slopey shape though.
[/quote]

Is it the Bolt On Pro II (2) version to which you refer thisnameistaken?

I had a Dolphin SN in Afzelia - beautiful bass which could really shake to windows - other than the 26 fret neck the only issue I had with this was that it had too many good sounds and I had trouble settling on one that I really liked...unbelievable I know but sometimes too much choice isn't as a good thing..

• 5 months later...

I've just snagged a Pro II and it has totally knocked my preconceptions of BO Warwick basses. I have tried the odd Streamer LX/BO and Corvettes and I wasn't blown away but this Pro II Dolphin has got me absolutely hooked. I'd have thought the rear pup would be virtually redundant being so close to the bridge but it even works soloed and adds a nice parp if blended with neck. The neck is as good as any of my skinny vintage Warwick NT and I'm sure part of the joy of the tone must be from the maple neck/ash body combo which I have enjoyed on Jazz basses (but not always enjoyed other aspects of the Jazz).

Who'd have thought that my cheapest Warwick would rapidly become my favourite Warwick! :D

I had one for a few years and thought it was great bass. In many ways I wish I hadn't got rid of it. I sold it to a friend who gets an absolutely tremendous sound out of it, one of the best I've ever heard from anyone. The neck was fabulous too. It was actually quite a bit better than my 2nd Dolphin Pro 1 through-neck ('96), although probably not quite as good as my first ('91). No shame in that as the '91 was one of the nicest basses I've ever owned or played (although it was a bit on the heavy side).

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1372496077' post='2126358']
I've just snagged a Pro II and it has totally knocked my preconceptions of BO Warwick basses. I have tried the odd Streamer LX/BO and Corvettes and I wasn't blown away but this Pro II Dolphin has got me absolutely hooked. I'd have thought the rear pup would be virtually redundant being so close to the bridge but it even works soloed and adds a nice parp if blended with neck. The neck is as good as any of my skinny vintage Warwick NT and I'm sure part of the joy of the tone must be from the maple neck/ash body combo which I have enjoyed on Jazz basses (but not always enjoyed other aspects of the Jazz).

Who'd have thought that my cheapest Warwick would rapidly become my favourite Warwick! :D
[/quote]

Agreed - I absolutely love mine - probably my favourite bass - alongside some supposedly more illustrious makes and models.