Why become a member? ×

Anyone seen this? Ashdown Content...

eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1358933173' post='1947134']
The power section in the MiBass is a lot more up to date than the one in the Superfly, and greatly improved, and you never know, the one in the 2.0 might be different again, and further improved.
I think you're right though, it's unlikely that a class D of that rating is going to match a bag ass solid state amp watt for watt.

Eude
[/quote]

My MiBass 550 seems to be at least as powerful as my previous ABM 500 III.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1359993503' post='1963143']
Thread revival, but now that NAMM's been and gone, has anyone found out anything more about this? Doesn't appear to be on their website yet.
[/quote]

A bloke over on TalkBass said that it's only a Prototype but might be released later this year.
My attention is turning to the MiBass 2.0 head now, the Youtube video for it eluded that there's a distortion curcuit built into the gain structure so you can actually dial some proper distortion out of it without getting the harsh solidstate/digital clipping you usually get in on there kinds of amps when you push them too hard.

Think my Promethean will be up for sale soon... :)

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1359994100' post='1963157']
My attention is turning to the MiBass 2.0 head now, the Youtube video for it eluded that there's a distortion curcuit built into the gain structure so you can actually dial some proper distortion out of it without getting the harsh solidstate/digital clipping you usually get in on there kinds of amps when you push them too hard.
[/quote]

http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/5/MiBass/43/MiBass-20/

Plenty more details there, and the gain control offers 'tube emultated overdrive' according to the manual.

On the subject of the manual, it's got bleeding graphs in the back! First time I've seen that for a bass amp.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1359997730' post='1963248']
[url="http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/5/MiBass/43/MiBass-20/"]http://ashdownmusic....s/43/MiBass-20/[/url]

Plenty more details there, and the gain control offers 'tube emultated overdrive' according to the manual.

On the subject of the manual, it's got bleeding graphs in the back! First time I've seen that for a bass amp.
[/quote]

Thanks dude, will give that a once over on the train home :-)

Putting the graphs in the manual seems either brave or foolhardy, as it looks like the 400 watt output only occurs at close to 10% THD. Many power amp manufacturers quote their output at 1% or even 0.5% THD, and had Ashdown done this the rating would be rather lower. And then the specs page on the website calls it "640 watts RMS". Having said that, I don't struggle for volume with an amp rated at 140 watts, so the Ashdown could still be a perfectly viable gigging amp.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1360002146' post='1963366']
I don't struggle for volume with an amp rated at 140 watts, so the Ashdown could still be a perfectly viable gigging amp.
[/quote]

Yup, I can appreciate why some folks want lots of wattage, but for your average non pro player it really is not necessary...

Hmm... I was really keen on the original MiBass, but to be honest, the 2.0 is leaving me slightly underwhelmed.

I think it's mainly the £399 price tag (as listed by GAK and Dolphin.) I quite like the simplicity, but I do wonder if they've stripped out [i]too[/i] much. At that price point, it's got a lot of competition, and I'm not sure there's much that puts it ahead (if you'll excuse the pun...)

• 5 months later...

Well the PiBass head is finally available >> http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/17/Signature-Series-/101/PiBass-240/
Not sure of the price, but I think it's about £250.
It shoots it's whole wad of 240W at 8 Ohms only, so it doesn't leave a lot of room to expand, but it's still very appealing, I guess as a back up head, or an alternative smaller rig for smaller gigs matched with a single 1x12 cab perhaps.
I'd love to pick one up, but I really can't justify it at the moment, I'm going to stick with my Promethean combo for a while yet.
If anyone gets one of these I'd love to hear how they get on!

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1373376416' post='2136849']
First a MiBass, now a PiBass! What's next? A BiBass for the confused or curious? Or perhaps a DiBass sold exclusively in Wales?

There's nice ;-)
[/quote]

Ha ha, who knows dude :yarr:

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1373376960' post='2136861']
Was just looking at this myself. I think the PiBass is a clever entry level head, price depending of course.
[/quote]

I'm 100% its under £300, I'm pretty sure they either said £249 or £269.
Very good alternative for the TC BH250 and the GK MB200 I reckon.

I prefer something a little simpler, but a little more stuff than the MiBass 2.0 has.
Either the addition of a Low Mid Control to make it Bass - Low Mid - High Mid - Treble, or even better, make the Low and High Mid Parametric, but with nice simple knobs rather than sliders...

Given that I've managed many a gig with just my Promethean 1x10 combo, I'd be very confident that a PiBass and a Mi12 cab to cover most "basses", if you'll pardon the pun. If my Ibby "burnt down", I'd probably replace it with exactly that.

Eude

Ok, the chassis and screen-printing scream 'cheap Chinese chassis'. Guess that's to be expected at this (suggested) price, though. I think the illuminated Ashdown logo on the prototype was a lot sexier than the weird blue panel they've gone with too.

I notice the rear panel says 'MIN LOAD 8 OHMS'. So it's basically incompatible with their own Mi10 cab (4 ohms)? That's a bit of an odd decision.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1373623352' post='2139717']
Ok, the chassis and screen-printing scream 'cheap Chinese chassis'. Guess that's to be expected at this (suggested) price, though. I think the illuminated Ashdown logo on the prototype was a lot sexier than the weird blue panel they've gone with too.

I notice the rear panel says 'MIN LOAD 8 OHMS'. So it's basically incompatible with their own Mi10 cab (4 ohms)? That's a bit of an odd decision.
[/quote]

The whole thing was always meant to be cheap, as Wojtek Pilichowski wanted his music students in Poland to be able to afford to buy one.
The 8 Ohms thing comes from the same reasoning, that students might not be able to buy 2 cabs to get the most out of the amp, so making it shoot the wad at 8 means they could get the full wattage from a reasonably cheap cab.

I like the idea, I used to gig a LittleMark 250 with a single Aggie GS112 and I loved the ability to gig with just that, bass on the back, cab in one hand, amp in a shoulder bag and a hand free to open doors or push away overly excited groupies (I wish ;) ).

If I could've got the full 250W out of the amp with that cab I would probably still own it now.
I think this little Pi head and a Mi12 cab would be a really useful set up for the real world player, but probably not for the kind of person who thinks they need 750W and 2 X 4x10s to play their local pub... ;)

Eude

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1373623352' post='2139717']

[/quote]

The Mi 10 we have changed to 8 ohms now... The original was 4 ohm to get max power in a one cab set up for the MiBass 220...

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1373634615' post='2139932']
The Mi 10 we have changed to 8 ohms now... The original was 4 ohm to get max power in a one cab set up for the MiBass 220...
[/quote]

Thanks for chiming in mate, is it Lee?
Anyway, really glad that the Mi10 is now 8 Ohms too, I think it makes a lot more sense.
Do the Mi10 and Mi12 play nicely together, or are you more sensible to match the cabs?...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1373634615' post='2139932']
[/quote]

That's good to know, thanks for the input.