Why become a member? ×

Help! what are these strings???

mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1358789913' post='1945061']

Oooh... Fatbeams already suggested by someone else... and these ones, the gauge matches!

Yes, I thought that the A string could have been changed... but it would have had to be done when all the strings were new, as they are all similarly aged. Of course, the previous owner could have just bought singles...

My strings do feel pretty flexible and elastic for the gauge!!! Yes!!! The HiBeams do not, however... and they are round core. They feel much less elastic than D'Addarios, for instance.

DR fatbeams are not cheap... Happy to buy them if they are the right thing, and they look like they could be... are Fat Beams a bit more "elastic" feeling than HiBeams?
[/quote]

Fatbeams are essentially Hi Beams wound at a slower speed than Hi Beams to give a bigger bottom end and more pronounced mids ( allegedly) . The tension feels the same to me , although some people think they are very slightly taughter - feeling than the regular Hi Beams , but all those DR round core strings should feel much more elastic and less tension than the same gauge of DAddario XL strings . Are you sure what you think are Hi Beams are not LO Riders ? The LORiders ( hex core ) are very stiff and would feel more tension than the DAddarios , in keeping with what you say .

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1358790271' post='1945079']
[size=4]Hmmm. The winding looks a bit coarser than on mine, or is that my imagination? [/size][size=4]I can't see the taper from this angle on the E string, so I can't judge that. [/size][size=4]Thanks for posting that![/size][/quote]

No problem. Even if yours aren't Fat Beams I would certainly recommend them. I spent decades looking for the ultimate roundwound strings, then when I found them (Fat Beams), I promptly changed to flats and am now looking for the ultimate flatwound strings...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358789814' post='1945059']
Hi Beams / Fatbeams higher tension that DAddario ? Surely some mistake . Those round core DRs all feel very low tension . Could you have got mixed up with DR LO Riders ( very stiff feeling ) ? The Fatbeams are basically the same tension as the Hi Beams .
[/quote]

:) If I haven't been lied to... and those on the G&L are HiBeams, then yes, I feel they are higher tension. Not lots and lots, but noticeable. I say if they haven't lied to me, because I asked and I was told Hi Beams. I have a new set of Hi Beams, but I have not replaced the ones on the L2000 yet as they still sound good. I have not used this bass a lot as I ripped the preamp out early on and it took me months until I fitted the MMSR preamp in there.

oh, wait!!!

Scratch that. The gauge of the D'Addarios is 100-80 on the E and A strings, compared to 105-85 of the ones on the L2000. So the D'Addario 100/80 feel clearly more elastic than "likely HiBeams" 105/85... I was not comparing like with like. Sorry.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1358790055' post='1945068']

Hmmm, you think so too?

I have to say... Fatbeams are the only ones I have been able to locate with a 45-65-80-105 gauge...
[/quote] well the zing has gone and they lasted a long time..... let me put it this way, the fatbeams I had on my P outlasted the coated strings you sold me.... by a long long time

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1358790214' post='1945076']
i've got an old set of fatbeams at home, i'll compare them to your pics when i get in, i used to use them exclusively when i just had a 5er, i'll probably go back to them one day when i wnat a change from flats (which is all i use at the moment)

Matt
[/quote]

Thanks, I'd appreciate that! :)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358790385' post='1945084']
Fatbeams are essentially Hi Beams wound at a slower speed than Hi Beams to give a bigger bottom end and more pronounced mids ( allegedly) . The tension feels the same to me , although some people think they are very slightly taughter - feeling than the regular Hi Beams , but all those DR round core strings should feel much more elastic and less tension than the same gauge of DAddario XL strings .
[/quote]

Bigger bottom end and more pronounced mids could very well describe these strings! :gas:

The higher tension of whatever is on my L2000 (105/85 gauge, allegedly HiBeams) compared to D'Addario XL (100/80 gauge) is not a problem at all. It's noticeable when switching... but if soon feels very normal.

The L2000 strings (HiBeams, possibly, 105/85) do feel VERY MUCH like those on the SUB (105/80), now that I had a quick test unplugged.

They also look very similar. Do HiBeams and FatBeams look any different from eachother?

I think I have to buy a set of these Fat Beams, too much BC love for them. B)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358790596' post='1945088']
No problem. Even if yours aren't Fat Beams I would certainly recommend them. I spent decades looking for the ultimate roundwound strings, then when I found them (Fat Beams), I promptly changed to flats and am now looking for the ultimate flatwound strings...
[/quote]

The neverending quest! There is always something, isn't it? :lol:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358790772' post='1945092']
I too heartily recommend Fatbeams . Or Sunbeams if you prefer nickel . Both sound great and last ages .
[/quote]

"last ages" also fits the description.

Like I said, I bought the bass a year ago, and quickly it became my favourite. I have played it a lot more than any of the others... and it did keep the tone barely changing for a long time. Even now, although clearly having lost a lot of the brightness, they still don't sound "dead" like D'Addarios would have felt months ago already.

That's it. I'm going to order a set and find out for sure. Even if they are not the same strings, it sounds like the kind of string I'm interested in.

Just checked a set of DR Hi Beams and Fat Beams and they definitely look like yours and have the taper at the headstock end on the E string. The Hi Beams have less tension than the Fat Beams. I prefer the Hi Beams because they are easier to play.

They are expensive but excellent strings.

Edit : more info on DRs here - http://bassemporium.com/?p=4444

Edited by gjones

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358790886' post='1945096']
well the zing has gone and they lasted a long time..... let me put it this way, the fatbeams I had on my P outlasted the coated strings you sold me.... by a long long time
[/quote]

so, another vote for Fat Beams...

Thanks to all! :)
and especially Dingus, who found the Marcus Miller in the right gauge!

Done!!!
I ordered a set of DR Fat Beams MMS45, 45-65-80-105... same gauge as I have on the SUB already. That alone is a pretty good push in the Fat Beams direction, as it's a very unusual gauge mix.

I should have them before the weekend, I'll report back.

Edited by mcnach

well as some reinforcement to the other comments I've just dug out the old fat beams and they look exactly the same, the ball ends are identical, the windings look right and from your description of the sound and feel i'm 99.9999999% sure they're fatbeams.
they are expensive but they're fantastic strings, i'm tempted to order a set for one of my 5er's but i'm on a flatwound kick at the moment.

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1358799920' post='1945344']
well as some reinforcement to the other comments I've just dug out the old fat beams and they look exactly the same, the ball ends are identical, the windings look right and from your description of the sound and feel i'm 99.9999999% sure they're fatbeams.
they are expensive but they're fantastic strings, i'm tempted to order a set for one of my 5er's but i'm on a flatwound kick at the moment.

Matt
[/quote]

Thank you, Matt! :)

Well, I ordered a set. Everything looked right about them. Every description, the unusual gauge set... now you added more evidence...
You are right, not cheap (£35, ouch!). But they do sound good, and it looks like I would change them once a year, or less. If I used D'Addarios, at around half the price, I would feel like changing them probably after 6 months... so there really isn't that much difference.

I have a set of pretty new Ernie Ball Cobalts on my Stingray. It would be interesting to compare the new FatBeams to those, as I got the Cobalts mostly because of the midrange.

I hope these are the ones. They made my SUB sound amazing, and I miss it already!!!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1358814161' post='1945675']
And a Jazz!!!
[/quote]

Wasn't it you that I was taking the mickey out of because you were putting a black pickguard on your 75 Jazz some time ago? Something about you should wear a Marcus Miller style hat?

Now you're using his strings too! :lol: :P ;)

Highbeams / Fatbeams sound great on a Jazz bass, you should definitely give them a try. Buying the strings is expensive but they last much longer than any other uncoated strings I've tried, they actually work out better value for money long term.

I'd be interested in trying the FatBeams. My TRB came with DR roundwounds but the seller couldn't remember which variety. They lasted *ages* (I've had the bass for nearly 18 months now and the strings are still OK---I took them off to put flats on last month but they're otherwise fine) and sounded good. I'll probably buy more but £35 is quite a lot to gamble!

Certainly, your photo is consistent with what my DR strings look like.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1358846424' post='1945819']
Wasn't it you that I was taking the mickey out of because you were putting a black pickguard on your 75 Jazz some time ago? Something about you should wear a Marcus Miller style hat?

Now you're using his strings too! :lol: :P ;)

Highbeams / Fatbeams sound great on a Jazz bass, you should definitely give them a try. Buying the strings is expensive but they last much longer than any other uncoated strings I've tried, they actually work out better value for money long term.
[/quote]

:lol: ah!! it's true!!!

let me check... no, he still has not inflitrated my CD collection, phew :P

He just seems to be a man of taste, I suppose :)

£75 on strings for three basses? ouch.
I guess I'm spoiled as I don't play double bass ;)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1358846633' post='1945821']
I'd be interested in trying the FatBeams. My TRB came with DR roundwounds but the seller couldn't remember which variety. They lasted *ages* (I've had the bass for nearly 18 months now and the strings are still OK---I took them off to put flats on last month but they're otherwise fine) and sounded good. I'll probably buy more but £35 is quite a lot to gamble!

Certainly, your photo is consistent with what my DR strings look like.
[/quote]

Well, I'll have the FatBeams soon, and my L2000 is supposed to have HiBeams on. I have a new set of HiBeams, but the L2000 is still more than fine, so it may be some time until I change them. They really do seem to last, so it does not work out so expensive after all.

What I find about Hi Beams / Fatbeams/ Sunbeams is that , like all strings , they lose that new zing after a certain time but after that they still sound good and not " dead " in the sense that they are dull , lifeless and in need of changing . That still sounding o.k phase lasts for ages and ages . That coupled with the great feel makes them worth the extra money . The only problem I have with them is that on some basses , to my taste at least , the 40-100 set feels too light and elastic but the 45-105 set feels a little too taught and heavy . Its about time DR brought out a Dingus Signature set gauged 42-62-82-102 . They could make up some story about them being wound at a high temperature and call them Baked Beams and package them in a tin rather than the usual cardboard packet .

In my experience some basses are subjectively stiffer to play than others , and on stiff-feeling basses the 40-100 set are a Godsend in making them feel a bit more friendly to play , so the extra compliance from the round core can be a big help sometimes too. The only strings I have used that lasted as long as DRs is the old Elites Stainless Steel . They lasted for ages too . I used them in the late90s/ early 2000s and they were great and cheap , but when I went back to them around 2009 they were totally different and seemed to go dead as a doornail and need changing very quickly . After three or four sets I gave up on them . I'd be interested to know if anybody else thinks Elites Stadium Series aren't the same as they used to be . I know they used to be made by GHS - maybe they got a new supplier or something .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358858325' post='1946050']
What I find about Hi Beams / Fatbeams/ Sunbeams is that , like all strings , they lose that new zing after a certain time but after that they still sound good and not " dead " in the sense that they are dull , lifeless and in need of changing . That still sounding o.k phase lasts for ages and ages . That coupled with the great feel makes them worth the extra money . The only problem I have with them is that on some basses , to my taste at least , the 40-100 set feels too light and elastic but the 45-105 set feels a little too taught and heavy . Its about time DR brought out a Dingus Signature set gauged 42-62-82-102 . They could make up some story about them being wound at a high temperature and call them Baked Beams and package them in a tin rather than the usual cardboard packet .
[/quote]

If I ever became semi-known, I would do that! :lol: