Why become a member? ×

Jaguar or Highway Jazz? Which?

foxthebiker

This is a tough one: :)

Love Jazz basses. :huh:

Want to buy new one so which do I go for?

Jaguar at £599

Or

HighWay one at £479!!!

:huh:

Some reports of noisy tronics on the Jag I hear. So not sure. :huh:

What do you guys reckon on the Highway gear? Anybody got one?

Cheers :huh:

Edited by foxthebiker

Are you set on buying new? I'm sure that a second hand but mint US Standard would be in your price range.

Otherwise, I would choose the Highway One, as I was unimpressed with the playability and sound of the Jaguar. It looks better than it sounds in my opinion.

+1 on Muppet's comments. I played a Jaguar through a very good MarkBass rig & couldn't get a sound I liked at all. Same as all the active Fender range, the preamps always sound harsh & cheap. Fenders always seem better when passive. Go Highway One - Worth it for the posiflex graphite rods in the neck & the badass bridge alone, although as Muppet said, you could always find a mint MIA Jazz like one of the last S1 models for that kind of money.

That's a toughie.
The Gallery has both in stock - the Highway one is nice, balances well and is pretty quiet. It doesn't have much of an individual sound though. The Jaguar is very noisy on some settings, has poor balance due to the short top horn but looks the business and sounds nice - get it in red and for god's sake fit a Badass :)
If you're looking for a fabulous jazz they have a Jap 75 reissue with rosewood board and blocks in natural for around £500 - very nice indeed...
If you're anywhere local to London maybe pop in and do your own shootout!

[quote name='XB26354' post='201832' date='May 18 2008, 11:17 PM']That's a toughie.
The Gallery has both in stock - the Highway one is nice, balances well and is pretty quiet. It doesn't have much of an individual sound though. The Jaguar is very noisy on some settings, has poor balance due to the short top horn but looks the business and sounds nice - get it in red and for god's sake fit a Badass :)
If you're looking for a fabulous jazz they have a Jap 75 reissue with rosewood board and blocks in natural for around £500 - very nice indeed...
If you're anywhere local to London maybe pop in and do your own shootout![/quote]

.....Thanks guys - gosh that was quick....

I agree with all you guys have said so far....I have tried a JAG LOCAL and found it to be nothing like a P but not really like a J either. Sort of in between but when it's active it sounds like nothing else either. Having said that it does sound nice, just different I guess. Didn't notice too much noise but I didn't roll on the top much either.

I have tried various Jazz's and loved them all. Guess I am a die hard fender man! I have a chance of last years Jazz in black for £700 all in new and I see the very same one here for sale but they are too far out my price range hence the HW1. I have looked at these and were mighty impressed at the look, build, BadAII and graphite rods! At under £500 all in with a deluxe bag, this seems unbeatable. And it's USA build!

What's the Gallery?

Gallery is a shop in Lunnun tarn..... (very good shop too!)

H 1s are excellent VFM .....but beware the finish is Nitro cellulose and an is thin so it WILL wear and dink.... it was put on to do this so it looks 'road used' very quickly. Just so your aware of that!

I have an H 1 P [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18771"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18771[/url] which I really had no intent to keep once I had done the project....

HOWEVER

And this is a big however, its bl88dy superb now I've done it.... Dont get me wrong it was very good before (for what it cost) but now its something else...

My advice FWIW, get he H1 and use it as a platform, a begining, Gensis if you will and dont be afraid to upgrade it when the funds are available....

I guarentee you, you will not be dissapointed, and you will genuinely notice the difference for your efforts.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='201913' date='May 19 2008, 07:59 AM']Gallery is a shop in Lunnun tarn..... (very good shop too!)

H 1s are excellent VFM .....but beware the finish is Nitro cellulose and an is thin so it WILL wear and dink.... it was put on to do this so it looks 'road used' very quickly. Just so your aware of that!

I have an H 1 P [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18771"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18771[/url] which I really had no intent to keep once I had done the project....

HOWEVER

And this is a big however, its bl88dy superb now I've done it.... Dont get me wrong it was very good before (for what it cost) but now its something else...

My advice FWIW, get he H1 and use it as a platform, a begining, Gensis if you will and dont be afraid to upgrade it when the funds are available....

I guarentee you, you will not be dissapointed, and you will genuinely notice the difference for your efforts.[/quote]

I do like what you have done to your P...now that's very stylish...the hipshots look great. I bet the barti'e kick A!

Nice!!! Very bl**** nice actually.

I can sense a HW1 here.....

Cheers for your thoughts so far guys...much appreciated !!! :)

[quote name='foxthebiker' post='201815' date='May 18 2008, 11:05 PM']Love Jazz basses. :)[/quote]

Well the Jag ain't no Jazz, so I think you really know which to get.

I've have Jazz GAS (oo-er) since before I started playing and have gone through a number of Jazz-like's (Hohner, Ibanez, etc) over the past 16 years. Finally got my Squier VM and will be sticking with it. Looks like a Jazz, plays like a Jazz and sounds like one too (with the Wizard 64s). Hell it even says 'Jazz Bass' on the headstock.

Check out the Japanese Fenders on www.guitaremporium.co.uk

The Jag plays better in passive with a seperate preamp, the onboard bass and treble rollers are so difficult to use while playing live, the neck is nice though and neck dive is not too bad but I think a CIJ Jazz bass would be best, they really are finished nice and have a great sound... thinking Geddy Lee Jazz, really good value for money.

Not tried a HW1 wonder what they are like compared to the CIJ, again a 2nd hand US is in your price range.

Hey Guys, :huh:

Thanks for all your replies...all the best...

The info is actually very useful, particularly about the Jag. This website is an amazing resource and is a credit to all involved as well as yourselves, thanks...lol

Had another go at the Jag today and I must say the rollers are hit and miss. The treble is great but noisy when your not touching the strings! The switches are not as easy as I thought either and would they last? The finish and looks are amazing though. Love the vintage machine heads and bridge.

The neck is nice but sticky if you know what I mean. The guy in the shop reckons he would sand it down! Not at £600 I wouldn't.

I have checked out the HW1 a lot and it looks as though I will be going this route as I don't gig at the moment and like the finish a lot since I have now seen and tried one locally. Bit too expensive here though at £600! The neck is smooth and the sound is all jazz. The value from some websites is amazing too. Will trawl to see what's about.

TTFN :)

This is me with my number one:

It's a Highway One jazz, with Villex pickups fitted. It's a fantastic bass, admittedly it's upgraded, but it was great before. I get comments on how amazing this bass sounds everywhere I play it. I can't recommended the H1 Jazz highly enough, superb bass.

I've played a couple of Jaguars, and personally didn't like them. I really struggled to find a sound I liked.

I would go for the Jazz. If you want actives, you can always fit something like an Audere or John East pre-amp. I've got the Audere in mine, and love it. Classic Jazz tones, but with a bit more punch when needed.

Edited by simon1964

:) Hey Guys that's great feedback....

I have now bought a HW1 Jazz....and I have to say, what a great Bass.

Really well made (as any other MIA or Jap Bass I have seen) plus the tones and look of a vintage Jazz, just with a decent bridge and straight neck. What more can one say...excellent....

The finish is superb, actually much thicker than I was led to believe. I bought it blind so it was a bit of a risk, only having played and saw one in Hereford and was impressed at that.

Will post some pics and if there is a demand will post a short review.

Thanks again to all.....

:huh:

[quote name='Rayman' post='204807' date='May 23 2008, 10:01 AM']This is me with my number one:

It's a Highway One jazz, with Villex pickups fitted. It's a fantastic bass, admittedly it's upgraded, but it was great before. I get comments on how amazing this bass sounds everywhere I play it. I can't recommended the H1 Jazz highly enough, superb bass.[/quote]

I like your tort guard...where did you get that? Were the holes all in the righ place?

[quote name='foxthebiker' post='204976' date='May 23 2008, 02:11 PM']:) Hey Guys that's great feedback....

I have now bought a HW1 Jazz....and I have to say, what a great Bass.

Really well made (as any other MIA or Jap Bass I have seen) plus the tones and look of a vintage Jazz, just with a decent bridge and straight neck. What more can one say...excellent....

The finish is superb, actually much thicker than I was led to believe. I bought it blind so it was a bit of a risk, only having played and saw one in Hereford and was impressed at that.

Will post some pics and if there is a demand will post a short review.

Thanks again to all.....

:huh:[/quote]

Good choice! Look forward to reading the review.