Why become a member? ×

P or J for covers?

Rumble

[quote name='bumnote' post='23166' date='Jun 25 2007, 07:22 PM']I had a candy apple red skyline jo and it was really heavy, i sold it on, just wondered if it was the same beast, very nice tho.[/quote]

It is a fantastic bass. I just wish someone could take 2 or 3 Ibs off it for me.

[quote name='Rumble' post='23169' date='Jun 25 2007, 07:25 PM']It is a fantastic bass. I just wish someone could take 2 or 3 Ibs off it for me.[/quote]

Ive had my us jo for about 4 years, theres no way i would have splashed out that sort of money for a passive bass without being fairly sure i liked it.
The skyline was the test bed, and only the weight put me off.
I think the skylines are much better today than they were weight wise. I have a shoreline gold scheff and thats not too bad. I think the skylines are great basses or the money.

It's a bit annoying really because in every other way it's my perfect bass and because it's so good I don't think I could sell it. But then I start thinking what would I get if I went out to buy another bass for the majority of my gigging stuff and I'd want this bass, just lighter. But there's no way I'm going to have a 4 string JO as well as the 5 as it would just seem a bit silly. So I'm thinking Fender P or Jazz and probably leaning towards P, but then there's the question of flexibility AAARRRGGGHHH!! :) It's never ending....

[quote name='Rumble' post='23395' date='Jun 26 2007, 10:06 AM']It's a bit annoying really because in every other way it's my perfect bass and because it's so good I don't think I could sell it. But then I start thinking what would I get if I went out to buy another bass for the majority of my gigging stuff and I'd want this bass, just lighter. But there's no way I'm going to have a 4 string JO as well as the 5 as it would just seem a bit silly. So I'm thinking Fender P or Jazz and probably leaning towards P, but then there's the question of flexibility AAARRRGGGHHH!! :) It's never ending....[/quote]

Get a Fender Precision with either an installed JPUP (e.g., late '90's Hot Rod) or buy a USA cheap on the bay (around £450 if you're lucky) and get a JPUP installed at the bridge, and ideally a little closer to the bridge than on the Hot Rod. It really does provide - almost - the best of both worlds, although with mine I've yet to get near the classic jazz slap sound with the bridge PUP rolled off a little, it's otherwise surprisingly good. It's also beaten of competition from two stingers, a flea and several other far more expensive basses
Chris

Having just looked at the cost of a Lakland BG with J PUP ($4000) I think I'll be going the Fender route. Like you said Chris, I may get a P bass and see how I get on with it. I can always install the J PUP at the bridge if needed. For some reason I hadn't thought of doing that!! Great idea. Cheers.

[quote name='Rumble' post='23420' date='Jun 26 2007, 10:45 AM']Having just looked at the cost of a Lakland BG with J PUP ($4000) I think I'll be going the Fender route. Like you said Chris, I may get a P bass and see how I get on with it. I can always install the J PUP at the bridge if needed. For some reason I hadn't thought of doing that!! Great idea. Cheers.[/quote]

It sounds like a P bass-special would be perfect for you.

The American ones made between '96 and '98 featured vintage hardware and pickups (noiseless and passive). It has a Jazz neck and Jazz bridge pup, three controls and a gold anodized pickguard. They go for under £500 s/h.

Here's how I hope mine to look after a paint job:

or

(Although the pg isn't this shiny in reality, I think I stole it from a '50s RI - sorry about the thumb-rest scrub)

Anyone know of any other brands other than Fender that make/have made a vintage equipped p/j?

Edited by paul, the

Personally, I prefer the look of the second one. Not into brown basses, but that's just me :)

I think I may well get a simple straight forward P bass first. It's easier to add a PUP then remove one. Although having said that, if the PUP's already in, it can always be turned off!

[quote name='Rumble' post='23440' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:19 AM']Personally, I prefer the look of the second one. Not into brown basses, but that's just me :)

I think I may well get a simple straight forward P bass first. It's easier to add a PUP then remove one. Although having said that, if the PUP's already in, it can always be turned off![/quote]

I always use a bit of the jazz pickup now, either a slight turn or them both up to 95% and I'll use it exclusively on some later Stevie Wonder songs.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Deluxe-Precision-Bass-Special-Deluxe_W0QQitemZ170124460588QQihZ007QQcategoryZ64401QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Deluxe-Precis...VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Fwar.

Already mentioned:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110141576283&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=001[/url]

I'm just chucking pictures at you now, sorry about that, a pretty bass makes me weak at the knees.

The second one has potential. I'm just a bit weiry of the Mexican's (not in a xenophobic way!!).

Thanks for picking them out Paul. The other thing with these is the potential incurring of import duty and being high and dry should they decide to leg it with your hard earned cash in their pocket.

[quote name='Rumble' post='23450' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:35 AM']The second one has potential. I'm just a bit weiry of the Mexican's (not in a xenophobic way!!).

Thanks for picking them out Paul. The other thing with these is the potential incurring of import duty and being high and dry should they decide to leg it with your hard earned cash in their pocket.[/quote]

Everyone's weary of the Mexicans :)

I didn't mean to shove them in your face, sorry about that, I just got over excited. My best advice is to try out different pickup arrangements see which you like best - think about the type of music you intend to cover and find the instrument best suited for the style.

I find the p-special and Lakkys so interesting because of their vintage leanings - the lovely folks made a conscious decision that vintage pickups would be the best option. The problem is that they are so hard to come by - the passive American special was only made for two years and Laklands...well it seems people either don't want to let them go, or no one has found out about them yet.

[quote name='paul, the' post='23463' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:58 AM']I find the p-special and Lakkys so interesting because of their vintage leanings - the lovely folks made a conscious decision that vintage pickups would be the best option. The problem is that they are so hard to come by - the passive American special was only made for two years and Laklands...well it seems people either don't want to let them go, or no one has found out about them yet.[/quote]

That's the problem with the current PBass specials, bloody Fender crap active electronics. I'd definitely stay passive if I were going the Fender route :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='23478' date='Jun 26 2007, 12:28 PM']That's the problem with the current PBass specials, bloody Fender crap active electronics. I'd definitely stay passive if I were going the Fender route :)
Chris[/quote]

Cheers Chris, it's sad that I need it, but that's very reassuring. I do get jealous when I look at that Mexican one that I've posted the picture of - but painted the same colour, mine ought to look the same. Except with three control knobs and a rosewood neck - which I prefer.

I'm not sure why they didn't last very long, perhaps they were expensive to make - routing different bodies, drilling into metal. Perhaps setting up the machinery wasn't cost effective and the bass wasn't selling being a bit of a mongrel.

It's basically a Vintage Reissue Precision with a thinner neck and a little extra tonal versatility. - Perfect for me, although I had to get use to the neck.

[quote name='paul, the' post='23797' date='Jun 26 2007, 10:51 PM']Cheers Chris, it's sad that I need it, but that's very reassuring. I do get jealous when I look at that Mexican one that I've posted the picture of - but painted the same colour, mine ought to look the same. Except with three control knobs and a rosewood neck - which I prefer.

I'm not sure why they didn't last very long, perhaps they were expensive to make - routing different bodies, drilling into metal. Perhaps setting up the machinery wasn't cost effective and the bass wasn't selling being a bit of a mongrel.

It's basically a Vintage Reissue Precision with a thinner neck and a little extra tonal versatility. - Perfect for me, although I had to get use to the neck.[/quote]

Why choose between a P & a J, why not just do something like this?
[attachment=935:P_Hamm_V...Finished.jpg]
[attachment=936:P_Hamm_V...Finished.jpg]

[quote name='JPJ' post='23836' date='Jun 27 2007, 12:13 AM']Why choose between a P & a J, why not just do something like this?
[attachment=935:P_Hamm_V...Finished.jpg]
[attachment=936:P_Hamm_V...Finished.jpg][/quote]

Hi JPJ (just realised how you got your name :) ). I posted some questions about that configuration on BW but I guess you didn't see the thread in question. Can you give me some details, for example, would I be right in assuming it's a custom body with the two jazz PUPs in the normal configuration with the PPUP slightly more towads the bridge than normal? I've been thinking about doing something similar for a while and was even tempted to buy a Fender Stu Hamm until I saw how small it was!
Chris

Edited by Beedster

From your description of what you need I'd go Jazz too.

Generalising but - a P makes one good sound. A J makes all the rest except the P.

Like having a well stocked tool box. The screwdrivers,pliers,spanners are all useful - but sometimes you just need the hammer.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='23916' date='Jun 27 2007, 10:29 AM']From your description of what you need I'd go Jazz too.

Generalising but - a P makes one good sound. A J makes all the rest except the P.

Like having a well stocked tool box. The screwdrivers,pliers,spanners are all useful - but sometimes you just need the hammer.[/quote]

Nice one from the good Doctor. The Precision is the hammer of basses, the Jazz more of a multi-tool
Chris
PS I have a mate who's tool box is a hammer and a canvas sheet. The hammer is for hammering whatever needs fixing, the canvas sheet for collecting the bits that come off. Incredibly, he has a good success rate, even with bikes and cars. I don't take my basses to him :)

I'd just use whatever feels right to you, unless you're in a really precise tribute act I don't need a need to copy the tones of the original tunes. I think this post on the Low Down Lowdown from Ed Friedland sums it up pretty well:

"To my way of thinking, the difference between a P and J bass goes way beyond the physical. Yes, P bass - fatter neck (usually), split pickup, chunkier tone, less highs. J bass - slimmer neck, easier to play, dual pickups, more note definition, more high frequency.

But... I think P or J bass is a lifestyle choice as well. Committing to the P means taking on a set of preferences, and inherent parameters. You can't or at least shouldn't try to play a P bass like a Jazz. That would be missing the point. The P bass is a fat, chunky-butt animal that likes to take up space. It demands a high level of attention to what you play, because every note hurts - or helps. There ain't no takin' it back with a P bass. You better mean it, or be very good at making it work. You can play fast on a P, but it's not nimble like a Jackrabbit, more like a Grizzly doing 60mph to catch something to eat. Slap on a P? Sure, it's chunkfunk, think Boz Scaggs "Lowdown". The pop on a P is not as sharp as a J. It's like getting sliced with a serrated steak knife. Ouch! Use only when you gots to cut through some tough meat. Classic P guys... Jamerson, Rainey, Rocco, Bob Glaub.

The J is a sleeker machine. Being a Jazz guy means having a little more wiggle room. It takes up less space in the mix, so you can get more active without squashing people. With great power comes great responsibility. Just because you CAN move around, does that mean you should? And if so - how to, how much, and why? The J is a bit skinnier, so you have to learn how to use that texture to fill it up, and how to play it fat when it needs to be fat. Soloing? Sure. Slap? You bet. Passive it cuts like a well honed Buck knife. Active with a good pre amp, more like a barbers razor. Classic J guys... Jerry Jemmot, Larry Graham, Jaco, Marcus...

Some people make a choice early on and stick with it. Their entire style is built around that early decision, whether it was conscious or not. You may know some of these people. Players that would no sooner pick up the other axe than they would deliberately eat rotten food. There's honor in this I think, it certainly makes your life simpler when it's Friday night and you're trying to decide which bass to put in the bag.

I think it behooves (love that word) a professional bassist to have both and spend time cultivating the characteristics of each instrument. You need to make each one speak it's native language. There are some gigs that just naturally call for one or another. Not to say you couldn't switch around. You learn alot about the nature of the P and J when you try to make one do what the other does naturally."

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='23942' date='Jun 27 2007, 11:48 AM']But... I think P or J bass is a lifestyle choice as well.

I think it behooves (love that word) a professional bassist to have both and spend time cultivating the characteristics of each instrument.

Alex[/quote]

Couldn't agree more with the above, which is why I have two basses, one Fender Precision Bass and one Fender Jazz Bass :) Most of the time I use the Precision, but every now and again the Jazz calls my name. Although after a few days I long for the Precision again, I think the Jazz is a necessary part of my bass persona (or whatever).

A big question is "is there a bass out there that can do BOTH P and J well" (hence my question to JPJ above)? I don't think there can be. A lot of people ascribe the P sound to the PPUP and likewise the Jazz to the JPUPs, but if you stick a PPUP in a Jazz it doesn't sound like a Precision, it sounds strangely Jazzy. Even if you stick a Jazz neck on a Precision it doesn't quite sound so Precisiony. People say the S1 switch makes a J sound like a P but it doesn't play like a P, and as siggested by EF above, that's part of the whole thing. Any ideas....?
Chris