Why become a member? ×

Anyone got any thoughts on the Roland Micro Cube?

rasher80

Thinking of picking up one of these to play my guitar through - was going to plump for the Vox Pathfinder 15R but these seem to have the edge from what I've read.

None of the music shops in my area have them so I will probably have to buy it blind.

Always wanted a Vox amp but swayed by the portability and range of features the Micro Cube has.

Confused.com!

MB1.
The bass ones are
Great little practice amps with the effects built in and the small 4 speaker battery/mains bass one is a cracker.
Think there's a equivalent model for guitar.
Apart from that Laney are doing some great little guitar
Practice amps at the moment and there British too!
(Check out Johnny Roadhouses ask for Danny!)

I have the bass version (the one MB1 mentioned) and it is a fantastic practice amp. The basic tone is pretty nice, and for when I want a bit more I just put my SansAmp in front of it and it is brilliant. The headphone out and aux in are great for quiet practicing aswell, I use them every day.

It's a modelling amp, which will mean the sound quality and instrument-amplifier interaction will be different from an all-analogue system, even if the analogue is solid state. That's not necessarily a problem (and it seems to me that many 'bass players' like modelling gear) but it IS different. If I wanted something for purely low-volume personal practice then I think the THR would be better, but at a much higher price. If I wanted something that would let me lay a bit louder and behaved more like a conventional amp then the Pathfinder would be better. I know of a number of people who gig with a couple of pathfinders.

Crikey, just Googled the Yamaha THR10 and was a bit taken aback by the price - i am after cheap and cheerful really (and i know by-and-large you get what you pay for) as I am a rubbish guitarist and just looking for something to noodle through when I get a bit of free time!

But thanks for the replies - keep 'em coming :D

:)

The THR isn't a 'practice amp' in the beginner sense at all, but is intended to be a professional 'third amp' (hence THR) after the stack and the small club-size combo. The speakers and modelling are designed to capture the feel and sound of playing through a large amp at stage volume, but at home levels, which is something small amps never really do. It will also work with a PC or Mac for recording through USB (audio is also captured both wet and dry for re-amping) and you can play back from an external audio source at high quality too. I'd love one, and may well sell of some stuff to enable acquisition within the next 12 months or so.

Not everyone likes them, but if you record at home then they are a justifiable professional tool.

There's a group who busk in York who use two of these, each one takes a guitar and vocals and is loud enough a) to compete with their drummer who thinks he's trying to fill Wembly Stadium single handed and secondly p**s off any trader who's trying to make a living within fifty yards of them!

Steve

Edited to remove unwanted smiley

Edited by oggiesnr

[quote name='rasher80' timestamp='1358523473' post='1940834']
Crikey, just Googled the Yamaha THR10 and was a bit taken aback by the price - i am after cheap and cheerful really (and i know by-and-large you get what you pay for) as I am a rubbish guitarist and just looking for something to noodle through when I get a bit of free time!
[/quote]

I think the Cube will suit you nicely. A lot of the guys over at musicradar recommend them highly.

I've got one, its a great little amp, but my guitar did feedback in a most unpleasant way when I used it at a gig (it was cranked right up though) I also have the bass one, great for small acoustic gigs (as I don't have an acoustic bass!). You can't really go wrong with them for busking and small quiet gigs.

[quote name='rasher80' timestamp='1358502108' post='1940234']
[size=5][font=georgia, serif][sub]Is he still going MB1?[/sub]

[sub]He must be about 90![/sub]

[sub]Bought my first guitar from him ( a knackered old Antoria LP IIRC)[/sub][/font][/size]
[/quote]
The original JR died a few years back I believe :(

I think his son runs it now, still as great a shop as it always was! I got an incredible vintage Conn trumpet from them for just over £100!