Why become a member? ×

Stingray help...

lowdowner

I've always had a soft spot for stingrays, but now i've taken the step to check out their website I find they have lots of different models...

So can someone tell me what the difference is between a 'classic stingray', a 'stingray', a 'sterling' and a 'bongo'? Is it all about pickups, construction, or something else?

<confused> :(

Stingray - the original, 2/3 band EQ, alinco pickup
Sterling - smaller body, ceramic pickup, extra hidden coil
Singray 5 - another beast altogether with some changes through the years
Bongo - what happens if folk who don't play bass design a bass.
classic - musicman realise how much money fender make with reissuing old looking basses

oh of course you can have any of these with the classic one humbucker, or with another pickup in there...

The Sterling also has a neck profile that is narrower at the nut , closer to a Jazz Bass than a Stingray . The Bongo is a completely new design , and they are fabulous basses in my opinion . The Stingray Classic is designed to look ., feel and sound closer to the original MM basses from the late 70s , although it is ( intentionally ) by no means a faithful reproduction of them . The sound depends on the chosen pickup configuration , but the single H pickup in the traditional MM losition on any of those basses will give the classic Stingray tone , more or less . Other pickup combinations will give that sound with other additional tones thrown in . The single H Bongo will sound like a Stingray , but the HH and HS models have their own sound that is quite different .

Edited by Dingus

Some harsh comments on the Classic Rays, its not like a Fender rehash really, it has a slab body so thats not off the shelf, strung through strings which is unique to the classic as has its repro pre EB muted bridge, they also come with either a flamed maple or birdseye maple neck rather than an unlaquered plain maple like all the rest :)

For me its still all about either a 2 or 3 band Ray with a single H, just choose your coulour and fingerboard and be done with ya :D

You either like the look of the Bongo or you don't, I'm not going there, but it's a very good instrument. It's actually a really ergonomic design, it's lighter than the Stingray and it's got an even punchier output - especially on the thin strings which can be a bit of a weak spot on the 'Ray.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358201767' post='1934912']
Some harsh comments on the Classic Rays, its not like a Fender rehash really, it has a slab body so thats not off the shelf, strung through strings which is unique to the classic as has its repro pre EB muted bridge, they also come with either a flamed maple or birdseye maple neck rather than an unlaquered plain maple like all the rest :)

For me its still all about either a 2 or 3 band Ray with a single H, just choose your coulour and fingerboard and be done with ya :D
[/quote]

+1 Classic Rays look and sound fab to me , too .

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1358202095' post='1934921']
You either like the look of the Bongo or you don't, I'm not going there, but it's a very good instrument. It's actually a really ergonomic design, it's lighter than the Stingray and it's got an even punchier output - especially on the thin strings which can be a bit of a weak spot on the 'Ray.
[/quote]

I too find the Bongo is very even across all four strings . The Dand G really ring out loud and clear .

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358202295' post='1934928']
I have warmed to the Big Al 5, I would love to try one at some point :)
[/quote]

The problem I have with the Big Al is the pointed body shape . Sometimes when I am playing the bass through my amp at home the fellow in the house next door hammers on the wall and shouts " I'll come round there and stick that thing up your f***ing arse if you don't turn it down ! " . If he ever carried out his threat with one of these I expect it would be [b][i]very [/i][/b]painful :

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358201767' post='1934912']
Some harsh comments on the Classic Rays, its not like a Fender rehash really,
[/quote]well technically isn't it kinda like a rehash of the ones Leo built? Not a bad thing

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358206406' post='1935026']
well technically isn't it kinda like a rehash of the ones Leo built? Not a bad thing
[/quote]
True but unlike fender just throwing together bits of existing models to make a reissue often technically wrong even when they had the right bits all along the classic rays have required pats not made or fitted on their bases for years by MM or ever by ebmm.