Why become a member? ×

This could end up an "off topic" not quite sure

Jimryan

Well apparently the old bassist has "handed in his months notice" so it sounds like he's chose to leave. Still can't figure out why he'll be there at the audition/rehearsal. I agree with the added pressure statement, though at the same time I suppose it could also help if they want something played in a particular way and I need showing. Other than that, really can't see why he's going to be there.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1357814689' post='1928724']
He's perhaps the most competent to give opinion on matters bass..? Sounds fine to me. Good luck, and enjoy...
[/quote]
[quote name='charic' timestamp='1357814979' post='1928730']
He's probably leaving on good terms with them (good sign for you) and agreed to help them pick a replacement.
[/quote]

Good point both of you

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1357814541' post='1928719']
I honestly can't remember guys.

However, on another note, I've an audition for an established function band tonight. Not been with a function band before so should be interesting. One thing that does strike me as peculiar, is the band want their old bass player present in the audition. I can only assume its to see if I'm similar to the old guy, but surely they'd know that regardless.

Any of you lot auditioned for a band but had to get the old bassist's approval?
[/quote]
I will be present when we audition for my replacement.
Its my studio and my PA lol

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1357815185' post='1928737']
Good god, I hate being out of the loop :P
[/quote]

Legendary rant in the f/s section, all in block capitals and loads of typo's including calling the forum A WASTE OF TIM. You really had to be there :)

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1357814541' post='1928719']
I honestly can't remember guys.

However, on another note, I've an audition for an established function band tonight. Not been with a function band before so should be interesting. One thing that does strike me as peculiar, is the band want their old bass player present in the audition. I can only assume its to see if I'm similar to the old guy, but surely they'd know that regardless.

Any of you lot auditioned for a band but had to get the old bassist's approval?
[/quote]

May make it a little awkward for you but nice for them to have a trusted pair of ears specifically listening to the bass, and listening whilst not playing. As others have said, I think it bodes well for the band that he is leaving in such a mature and professional manner.

I was introduced to my band by the previous bass player (a work colleague) who had left on good terms. But he wasn't there for the 'audition' - I think I might have found that a bit nerve wracking even though he is a lovely guy.
He did show me all the bass lines to their original songs tho which was a huge bonus. :-)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1357825035' post='1928986']

Legendary rant in the f/s section, all in block capitals and loads of typo's including calling the forum A WASTE OF TIM. You really had to be there :)
[/quote]

Perhaps 'offended clowns!' should be the new catch phrase....

(runs for cover...)

Well, just got back from the audition/rehearsal. The old bassist didn't even turn up or contact anyone. They handed me a set that he uses, next to all the songs he has the key written to remind him and they only expected me to learn 3 tracks. Turning up having memorised the entire set and requesting additional tracks...they've asked if I wanna join :-D

WREY!

Excited and pleased? Very.

Tired? Very.

Mighty pleased with myself though. Isn't it a great feeling when hard work pays off. If the old bassist continues to not turn up or eat in touch, I'll even have his gig slot in a fortnight :-D

I remember when I was 17calling the leader of a big band about the role of bass player as their one was leaving. He asked me if I could read music and I told him I could.

When I turned up at the rehearsal I was met with my double bass tutor who it turns out was their current bass player and the one I was replacing - Ooops. He knew that I couldn't read very well. Anyway I bluffed it enough to get the gig and taught myself to read music properly. Played with them for 18 months as well as a spin-off band which was a Dixieland Jazz band.

I learned so much from these guys who'd all been playing for years, some were inthe 70s and had some amazing stories to tell