Why become a member? ×

Looking for a 1 cab solution

leroydiamond

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1357219839' post='1919255']
Yep, I'd go with this. I only ever gig with a 250 watt head and it's always more than capable, I've never needed it passed 11 o'clock and the mark bass 210 fills the room so effortlessly and with plenty of bottom end. I don't get this need for a minimum of million watt + amps.

Dan
[/quote]

I have tried using the F500 with the both the 1x15 and 2x10 individually and for my purposes it is only when both are run together, do I get the low end and crunchy mids that I need.

thanks for all the responses.

I have to disagree regarding the price it is a 3 way cab with a custom crossover. I have seen 2 way design that cost more. It is the best built cab I have ever owned as well as the best sounding. When you get a chance to see and try one you will understand why I think the price is a great deal.

Edited by skelf

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1357310980' post='1920767']
I have to disagree regarding the price it is a 3 way cab with a custom crossover. I have seen 2 way design that cost more. It is the best built cab I have ever owned as well as the best sounding. When you get a chance to see and try one you will understand why I think the price is a great deal.
[/quote]
In fairness, I have not seen this cab in the flesh and it may be well worth the money. Guess I had not envisaged parting with this amount of cash. If I can sell off some gear it may well be top of my list. Thanks for the recommendation

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357038127' post='1916515']
*Compact*!! Small, light, very loud, raunchy tone (if you want it).... what's not to like? ;)
[/quote]

It would be rude not to mention it.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1357203511' post='1918925']
And 8 ohm will be a kinder load on the amp when things get loud.
[/quote]

Not true in general, the amp will start to clip at a lower power level because it runs out of voltage swing (assuming were talking SS amps rather than valve of course ..).

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1357337280' post='1921446']
Not true in general, the amp will start to clip at a lower power level because it runs out of voltage swing (assuming were talking SS amps rather than valve of course ..).
[/quote]

Perhaps, but the point is that this lower power level will result in a negligible difference in the actual output heard from the cab. So for a given voltage output (say for arguments sake, just below clipping) the 8 Ohm cab will be presenting a kinder load than the 4 Ohm cab. For instance a typical 500W @4 Ohm SS amp will perhaps be able to give around 300W at 8 Ohm. If the the two cabs are otherwise identical, the 8 Ohm cab will hardly be any less louder than the 4 Ohm Cab - if at all. Adding more speakers gives more additional output, based on my experience.

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1357390286' post='1921943']
Perhaps, but the point is that this lower power level will result in a negligible difference in the actual output heard from the cab. So for a given voltage output (say for arguments sake, just below clipping) the 8 Ohm cab will be presenting a kinder load than the 4 Ohm cab. For instance a typical 500W @4 Ohm SS amp will perhaps be able to give around 300W at 8 Ohm. If the the two cabs are otherwise identical, the 8 Ohm cab will hardly be any less louder than the 4 Ohm Cab - if at all. Adding more speakers gives more additional output, based on my experience.
[/quote]
We are talking about just a one cab soloution, so wouldnt getting the most out of the amp be preferable in this case?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1357391507' post='1921964']
We are talking about just a one cab soloution, so wouldnt getting the most out of the amp be preferable in this case?
[/quote]

Not necessarily. The difference in volume between identical 4 & 8 ohm cabs is barely noticeable.

The only times that I would look at a 4 ohm cab would be when it's something like a BF Super 12.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1357401762' post='1922151']
Same here, although my drummer (who does the driving) has also told me im not allowed another cab as it wont fit in the car :-(
[/quote]

Erm, I'm also in that situation with our keyboard player with whom I share driving duties.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1357391507' post='1921964']
[/quote]

I do see where you are coming from there. I'm just saying don't limit yourself to only 4 Ohm cabs. You may find a decent 8 Ohm that sounds perfect tonally, and is efficient enough to go loud. On the flipside, a decent 4 Ohm may also do that. They all vary so much, and need to be tried in person. The 8 Ohm might even go louder (if it efficient enough), and put less strain on the amp, meaning you will actually have more headroom because the supply rails won't be struggling to provide all that extra current, thus potentially sagging the supply rail voltage. That depends on the amp design, of course.