Why become a member? ×

Basschat Cool-Wall

cloudburst

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1358247649' post='1935364']
That's not an Ex-Factor, that's a Key Factor 5 - I know because I have one!

Ex-Factors tune at the bridge with a massive proprietary system which was never adapted for 5 strings.
They also have a shorter scale -32" I think with 36" scale being used for the two extra frets on the E string, allowing it to go down to a D. Ex-Factor necks are made with many thin laminated maple strips.

Key Factors tune at the headstock using special Schaller mini tuners which have guitar- sized buttons. Also due to the narrow width of the headstock (same width as the neck) some of the tuners are wound the opposite way from normal although all the buttons turn in the normal direction. Key Factors are 34" scale and the necks are one piece maple with a rosewood or maple board. Key factor bodies have a flat top with none of the elaborate sculpting seen on the Ex-Factor.

Kubickis have a really interesting tone circuit with various different passive modes and two different active modes. Like Steinbergers, they are also great basses.

Ed
[/quote]

Thanks for that. In my very short knowledge of the brand all Kubickis are born equal, lol. But if i'm not mistaken they share similar electronics, isn't it? You're right about the diferences, i've never noticed the model issue because i never was drawn in to the design of these basses, but they do sound great!

By all means, my brother uses the Hohner copy as his main bass. I find it balances weird, I'm always hitting frets two higher than I want. Like if I go for B on the 7th fret E, I end up hitting the C# 9th fret. Sounds awesome tough.

• 2 weeks later...

New Bass Day! Steinberger XL-2 in White. Love at first sight!

First impressions:
- Even tinier dimensions than expected
- Beautiful condition
- Looks awesome in white; apparently very rare too
- Feels very solid and high quality - like a high end industrial tool, firearm etc. - the feel of the body and some of the parts (eg the boomerang attachment and leg rest) has the same feel and style as the equipment inside fast jets
- Probably not heavy, but you are fooled into thinking it's heavy because the brain is expecting it to be light due to how very small it is
- Sustain is insane
- Quite tight string spacing
- Reach to first couple of frets will take a bit of getting used to

So, since it's a white one (and we've generally agreed it's sub-zero on the cool-wall), as of now it's being called The Iceberger.

I'm off to play it.

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1358971503' post='1947974']
New Bass Day! Steinberger XL-2 in White. Love at first sight!

First impressions:
- Even tinier dimensions than expected
- Beautiful condition
- Looks awesome in white; apparently very rare too
- Feels very solid and high quality - like a high end industrial tool, firearm etc. - the feel of the body and some of the parts (eg the boomerang attachment and leg rest) has the same feel and style as the equipment inside fast jets
- Probably not heavy, but you are fooled into thinking it's heavy because the brain is expecting it to be light due to how very small it is
- Sustain is insane
- Quite tight string spacing
- Reach to first couple of frets will take a bit of getting used to

So, since it's a white one (and we've generally agreed it's sub-zero on the cool-wall), as of now it's being called The Iceberger.

I'm off to play it.

CB
[/quote]

...and when done playing, go fetch camera!!

Very nice. That is very rare.... and without wishing to be crass, I'll bet it wasn't cheap either. Now, if only the neck, fingerboard and hardware were white too... but then Larry Graham would probably own it... :D

I was going to post a pic of my L2, but I don't think I'll bother now!

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1359098623' post='1949748']
Very nice. That is very rare.... and without wishing to be crass, I'll bet it wasn't cheap either.
I was going to post a pic of my L2, but I don't think I'll bother now!
[/quote]

LRH - didn't realise you were still keeping the faith! :)

Gary - really nice - looks to be in great nick too - well selected!

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1359377153' post='1953702']
LRH - didn't realise you were still keeping the faith! :)

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

Yes indeed. Nothing looks, sounds or plays like it ( my 'marmite' bass as I like to call it). People genuinely do either love it or hate it, and when they hate it, they seem to be compelled to let me know, but the pleasure of playing it is worth the occasional bit of abuse from non-believers... :D