Why become a member? ×

Cars for Bassplayers

cloudburst

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1356968318' post='1915787']
I only have two spare parts left. One is a side grill in front of the right rear wheel arch. The other (coincidentally) is a Turbo2 decal roll - purchased from Radbourne Racing (that's why you couldn't find them!)

CB
[/quote]
Collectors items!
Radbourne were the place to go for all things Renault Racing in those days. Around that time we did a lot of body work on Sierra RS Cosworths as well so i was always over various Ford RS dealers around London trying to get bits. Happy days!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1356979238' post='1916061']
Not at all. There must be hundreds of cars on the road that have been re-shelled that have never seen a rally stage. The company i worked for some years ago re-shelled a car that only had 40 miles on the clock after someone rolled it coming out of a car hire compound.
[/quote]

So you did a full reshell? must have been pretty badly damaged, and also been worth the cost of it. (unlike if i rolled my 106, it would just have to be scrapped).

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1356981532' post='1916109']
Yes, I've got one.

Estates or vans. [u][i][b]Nothing[/b][/i][/u] with a lip that goes between the floorpan and the outside world at the back.
[/quote]

Worst thing ever is having to bump gear over a lip, then it gets all scratched and torn. My old bosses van was ply-lined in the back and had a bit of angle iron across the back that was sitting up above the ply a bit. It was a bastard. I also scraped a load of paint from the back sill one day with a yard brush when he made me clean it out. Fun times :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1356980273' post='1916084']
So you did a full reshell? must have been pretty badly damaged, and also been worth the cost of it. (unlike if i rolled my 106, it would just have to be scrapped).
[/quote]
Yes but that was 20 plus years ago! I don't think anyone would re-shell many cars nowadays if it was rolled. They are just written off now. I think the only cars that have a re-shell are classic cars. My mate still re-shells the old type Minis.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1356984583' post='1916154']
Yes but that was 20 plus years ago! I don't think anyone would re-shell many cars nowadays if it was rolled. They are just written off now. I think the only cars that have a re-shell are classic cars. My mate still re-shells the old type Minis.
[/quote]

Yeah, but old type minis is alright, for 2 reasons-

They are a huge seller.

They rust like f***.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357008606' post='1916397']
Yeah, but old type minis is alright, for 2 reasons-

They are a huge seller.

They rust like f***.
[/quote]
Yeah, rust is not a friend of the old Mini. A friend of mine has a an original 1960s Mini Cooper. It's been re-shelled, had a new engine fitted, new wheels, new seats and the interior has been re-trimmed.............A bit like Trigger's broom :)

I could get my whole stack, pedals, lead bag and two basses into my old Micra, with room to take a plus one in the front. Now I have a Mk2 Clio and I can do the same without putting the seats down! Last week I had a half stack, four basses and a trombone in there, and the Mrs in the front. You don't need a huge car really unless you have an 8x10 or something of the like.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1357042251' post='1916599']
Yeah, rust is not a friend of the old Mini. A friend of mine has a an original 1960s Mini Cooper. It's been re-shelled, had a new engine fitted, new wheels, new seats and the interior has been re-trimmed.............A bit like Trigger's broom :)
[/quote]

haha, 17 new heads and 14 new brush shafts.

I don't see the appeal of a mini. Surly there are better small cars out there now? i would go as far to say people only buy them for the look (which would be looking like a 1960's hairdresser).

• 3 weeks later...

Yee haa. Made the plunge.

Bought an Audi S3 Sportback with the S-tronic DSG gearbox. Very dark metallic blue. Black leather interior.

Four wheel drive. Not overly big, but plenty of space. Reasonably economical. Awesome to drive with that DSG box.

Thanks for all your help.

PS: Also bought a Steinberger XL-2 so probably don't need the practical car anymore LOL

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1358892363' post='1946837']
Yee haa. Made the plunge.

Bought an Audi S3 Sportback with the S-tronic DSG gearbox. Very dark metallic blue. Black leather interior.

Four wheel drive. Not overly big, but plenty of space. Reasonably economical. Awesome to drive with that DSG box.

Thanks for all your help.

PS: Also bought a Steinberger XL-2 so probably don't need the practical car anymore LOL

CB
[/quote]

My Leon has the same engine, whoever came up with the economy figures is living in la-la land. Expect 27 to the gallon at best :lol:
Very nice car though :)

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1358893458' post='1946865']
My Leon has the same engine, whoever came up with the economy figures is living in la-la land. Expect 27 to the gallon at best :lol:
Very nice car though :)
[/quote]
27 is fine! Bear in mind that I've been looking at Cayennes :-)

CB

Edited by cloudburst

You were never going to buy one, but if in the future you think "I'd quite like a Citroen", sit down and take a deep breath and then think about what just entered your head.

It would be a pointless exercise to buy said car because you won't get to use it. For the majority of its existence it'll be in the garage workshop probably being repaired for the umpteenth time for a fault that just can't be fixed.

When I first played in a band in the late 70s early 80s, the father of the guitarist and drummer drove us around in a Citroen CX GTi. I really liked them. However, that was during the blissfully ignorant part of my life before I learnt about reliability etc.

CB

[quote name='TomWIC' timestamp='1356388993' post='1909963']
I can get my Ashdown ABM 410 and 210, Pedaltrain 1 hard case, 2U amp in a rack case, several hard cases and several soft cases in my W reg Vauxhall Corsa with the back seats down. It's like a poorly maintained Tardis.
[/quote]
I also have a W reg corsa, much smaller rig though!
Only a 1x12 and a class D he's that fits in my iGig. I do have a pedaltrain mini though... ;)

Pushing the boat out to the extreme :D

However, I can fit two/three others in my car with this setup

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1358901421' post='1946992']
Yup.
Only cars with more kudos attached than that would be
6R4
RS200
205T16

Oh.. and [i]they're[/i] all 4wd! ;)
[/quote]

Or an Audi Sport Quattro. The short wheelbase ugly duckling of which only under 200 were sold to the public.
A friend of mine bought the Tornado Red road-going one from the Patrick Collection and kept it for a number of years. He also owned (think he still does) a road-going RS200.
Another friend of mine then proceeded to buy it off him. He lent it to Audi Glasgow for a couple of years for display.
This second friend also owns a rare Copenhagen Blue road-going Sport Quattro (ex Franz Beckenbauer). And Michele Mouton's competition car which he was restoring last time we spoke.

CB

Edited by cloudburst