Why become a member? ×

Tried and failed!

SpaceChick

I have a PC, a GT10B pedal and a bass!

Loaded the drivers on the PC. Set the pedal settings as per the manuals instructions for USB input, opened up Audacity, input showing as Boss GT10b, Pressed record, played bass....... Nothing!!

I really wanted to record... Hubby who is very IT literate can't work it out, I haven't a clue!

However, my bass/vocal only attempt for the December Composition Competition is now in tatters as no means to record!

Not a happy camper!

I don't use Audacity, but I do recommend you have a close look at the 'Help' files.
You should be able to find some useful information somewhere here, too:

[url="http://forum.audacityteam.org/"]http://forum.audacityteam.org/[/url]

Don't despair - using a DAW for the first time can be daunting and it [i]takes time[/i]. Good luck. :)

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1356276271' post='1908660']
From my use of the GT10b I don't think that's how it works, the USB is for transferring patches, and updates, and possibly midi control via USB, but I don't expect if sends a bass signal by USB :(
[/quote]

My bass teacher uses his GT10b to send his bass signal to his Mac, so I know it does do this.

Thanks Mark, I'll look into that :D

Edited by SpaceChick

Good afternoon, SpaceChick (or may I call you Space..?)

Do you have the appropriate USB driver installed on the PC..?

If not, it can be found here...

[url="http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=GT-10B&id=1812313"]http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=GT-10B&id=1812313[/url]

...If still not successful, the 'line' input to your PC could be used until you get the USB thing sorted..? Not top audio quality, but good enough to be going on with, maybe..?

Hope this helps; now go on to win the December comp..!

There are bits in audacity to tell it where to look for the sound , I struggled with it for ages as it defaulted to something obscure and coulkd never remember how to sort it . good luck , I have no idea if a gt10b is up to the job either , sorry .
I would love to do some recording , but the process is really starting to bug me . :gas:

This is normal. When trying to set up a computer based recording facility at home, it is a legal requirement that you spend at least the first three months trying to find out how the different pieces of equipment involved work together so you can even get a noise out of it, let alone record, save and copy a file so it can be played on anything other than the original PC e.g. as a cd or an mp3. If you get to record any quicker than that, you have not evidenced the required tenacity and can be barred from the Recording forum here for life (or longer).

|Learn to love the egg-timer)

Egg Timer ?

My head hurts now , The more I mess with this recording stuff, the less I seem to understand :( .
6 hrs today , and f*** all to show for it , mostly fannying with midi drums and not even getting as far as a simple drum pattern of any worth .
One day something might click ......but that could be just the metronome , and even that seems odd at the moment

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1356714354' post='1912874']
6 hrs today , and f*** all to show for it , mostly fannying with midi drums and not even getting as far as a simple drum pattern of any worth .
[/quote]

You have passed the test and may enter, brother.

spacechick...if ur playing spacebass/space rock hope ur using a rickenbacker....or a thunderbird......apart from an sg these are the only basses u can use!!!
im looking for a free download to mess around with to record my band,we easy as we uses electribe and midi triggers,we did an album recorded and mixed in 3/4 days!

I've been using my DAW for five years now, and I learn something new practically every time I use it. Yes, RTFM for sure, but there is no substitute for getting your hands dirty and getting in there and getting on with it. Time spent = results.

You can be fairly sure your first efforts aren't going to be all that frankly, so don't be too precious about them. Use them as a stepping stone to greater things. Every day's a school day as far as DAWs are concerned and if you're not making loads of mistakes, you're not learning anything.

Today's tip: Regularly SAVE and be sure to keep BACKUP files of your work - or one day you will spend twelve hours on a chart-topping magnum opus only for the file to become corrupt (it happens) and you lose the lot. I speak from experience. :)