Why become a member? ×

PSU Help?

Stroopy121

I'll start by saying sorry if this has been asked a squillion times before - but I need some advice re: power supply choice for the pedal board I'm in the process of putting together.

Currently I have:
TU-2 (tuner)
LMB-3 (limiter/enhancer)
ODB-3 (overdrive/distortion)

On the way are:
EHX 2UBE (tube pre)
Hartke VXL Bass Attack (pre)

I'm well aware that I shouldn't need the 2ube, hartke AND the ODB, plan is to keep one as an "always one" and another as a "the guitarist is pratting about with a solo, need to step up the noise to hold the rythm fort" boost.

ANYWAY. I started out with a simple daisy chain like this thing:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9V-GUITAR-EFFECT-PEDAL-POWER-SUPPLY-5-WAY-DAISY-CHAIN-/150569460382?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item230ea3a29e"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9V-GUITAR-EFFECT-PEDAL-POWER-SUPPLY-5-WAY-DAISY-CHAIN-/150569460382?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item230ea3a29e[/url]

Problem is - when I have the ODB and ANY other pedal powered by it, the ODB makes this horrific squeal/hum noise, sounds kinda like a dial-up modem pitch, so it needs to be run seperately from the others. The daisy chain seems to work OK for the LMB and the TU-2 together, though.

My question is: if I want a 9V psu that can power the Hartke, ODB, LMB and TU2, do I need to spend a fortune? (The 2ube has it's own 12VAC supply).

I'm looking at this thing with keen interest:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-EFFECTS-FX-MULTI-POWER-SUPPLY-UP-10-PEDALS-/200539183668?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4291581285219086484%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200539183668%26"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-EFFECTS-FX-MULTI-POWER-SUPPLY-UP-10-PEDALS-/200539183668?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4291581285219086484%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200539183668%26[/url]

Anyone offer any reason why this won't solve my noise issues with the ODB?

And can anyone tell me what the current consumption of a Hartke VXL Bass Attack is?? I can't find the info anywhere!!

xx

Cheapest way to solve it would be with an isolator cable for the ODB so something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAGO-ISOLATOR-ADAPTOR-FOR-GUITAR-EFFECT-PEDAL-DAISY-CHAIN-POWER-SUPPLY-PS09-/300829472559?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item460ad5772f#shId

Then with whatever you've already got you'd be sorted, that eBay PSU wouldn't help.

I had the same problem.
Had a dirt cheap psu plug with daisy chain and it couldnt handle more than 2 pedals cuz it would buzz and squeak.
Probably didnt have enough power in it.

To solve it I bought a sound labs psu that powers 6 pedals no problem and ive tried it with 5. That ebay supply I think would work. Its like the budget psu that andertons sell in guildford and I know a couple of guys running it. Not sure if id trust it with 10 pedals tho!

I feel more comfortable with a dedicated multi psu now anyway and it works :)

Hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1356018345' post='1905803']
Cheapest way to solve it would be with an isolator cable for the ODB so something like this [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAGO-ISOLATOR-ADAPTOR-FOR-GUITAR-EFFECT-PEDAL-DAISY-CHAIN-POWER-SUPPLY-PS09-/300829472559?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item460ad5772f#shId"]http://www.ebay.co.u...460ad5772f#shId[/url]

Then with whatever you've already got you'd be sorted, that eBay PSU wouldn't help.
[/quote]
[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1356087811' post='1906598']
Harley Benton Powerplant Junior from Thomann. I've used that with 5 pedals (Marshall JH-1, Boss TU-2, MT-2, Behringer BDI-21 and a Joyo JF-12) without any issues.

Liam
[/quote]

These two options don't cost far from the same, so I'll probably go with the Harley. Only question I have - the pic on Thomann has a 2-pronged US style plug. I assume there's a transformer or something in the power cable where I can plug a UK plug in there...?

[quote name='Fender_Greg' timestamp='1356080768' post='1906475']
I had the same problem.
Had a dirt cheap psu plug with daisy chain and it couldnt handle more than 2 pedals cuz it would buzz and squeak.
Probably didnt have enough power in it.

To solve it I bought a sound labs psu that powers 6 pedals no problem and ive tried it with 5. That ebay supply I think would work. Its like the budget psu that andertons sell in guildford and I know a couple of guys running it. Not sure if id trust it with 10 pedals tho!

I feel more comfortable with a dedicated multi psu now anyway and it works :)

Hope that helps
[/quote]
Cheers for the advice, might be a lack of juice, but I wouldnt have thought so as the tuner is never "on" when the ODB is?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1356082812' post='1906496']
I run my ODB-3 on a daisy chain and it's not noisy. Do you have the gain control any higher than 9 o'clock?
[/quote]

Yeah, probably closer to 11. It did stop when the gain was RIGHT down, but then the pedal wasn't really doing anything I wanted by that point.

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1357904239' post='1930238']
These two options don't cost far from the same, so I'll probably go with the Harley. Only question I have - the pic on Thomann has a 2-pronged US style plug. I assume there's a transformer or something in the power cable where I can plug a UK plug in there...?
[/quote]

It's an EU plug. I haven't really pulled the cable apart to check, although i was intending to. I just use an EU/UK adapter at the moment as it's a bit quicker and easier.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1357904473' post='1930247']
It's an EU plug. I haven't really pulled the cable apart to check, although i was intending to. I just use an EU/UK adapter at the moment as it's a bit quicker and easier.

Liam
[/quote]

Mk, that could work.

Only other worry is that I also use a Hartke VXL which, according to the website, comes with a 200mA PSU and the Jnr only gives out 120mA. I can't find the actual max consumption of the VXL anywhere though.

xx

The Diago Powerstation is well worth checking out, I've been using one for about 5 years and haven't had any noise problems with any pedals, which was a problem I seemed to be plagued with before getting a Powerstation. It's a very versatile bit of kit too.

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1357908626' post='1930348']
The Diago Powerstation is well worth checking out, I've been using one for about 5 years and haven't had any noise problems with any pedals, which was a problem I seemed to be plagued with before getting a Powerstation. It's a very versatile bit of kit too.
[/quote]

Seems like a decent bit of kit but I can get the Harley for £20 and the Diago seems to be £60 upwards, so I might take a punt as I only have a couple of pedals to power anyway!

xx

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1358156608' post='1933779']
just to check this is a power problem, have you tried the same set up but with the ODB3 powered by a battery?
[/quote]

Yeah. Actually, no. I've used the ODB3 alone either with battery or with PSU but not chained with the tuner. I don't think. I can't remember. I'll give it a bash and try to whip up some sound samples tonight too.

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1357904788' post='1930257']
Mk, that could work.

Only other worry is that I also use a Hartke VXL which, according to the website, comes with a 200mA PSU and the Jnr only gives out 120mA. I can't find the actual max consumption of the VXL anywhere though.

xx
[/quote]

The HB comes with a current doubler cable that lets you use two of the 5 outputs to power anything up to a 240mA pedal. Does it really need that much though? My MXR M80 which is a similar preamp/di box specifies <9mA in the manual. I have hard time believing the Hartke actually needs more than 22 times as much juice. As to the plug, I cut the EU plug off and ordered an IEC socket from thomann when I bought the pedal. It's a 5 min, no soldering job to replace and now I just use an amp IEC lead to plug the pedalboard in. Planned because the one thing bassists have loads of is amp power leads!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello, bit of a bump here, has anyone used one of the 2 into 1 cables to get 18v with a H/B Jr? i need 18v for my MXR Blowtorch and this looks like a good option as i don't have that many pedals to power (blowtorch, mxr super comp, tc polytune and a bassballs nano) does it come with the 18v cable or will i need to order one separately?

Matt