Why become a member? ×

How low is your action?

lefrash

Personally I just like to make things as easy as possible for myself, if I'm doing 3x45s the last thing I want is an action miles off the fretboard that requires clamping rather then fretting. I use action as a way of gauging how well made a bass is too, the better a neck has been finished the lower you'll be able to set it before any frets buzz.

[quote name='Jon B' timestamp='1356011884' post='1905674']
take the action down until you get buzz,... then up a bit,... done :)
[/quote]

+1

How are people measuring their action by the way? Aren't you supposed to measure it with 1st fret and (something like) 20th fret fretted?

State The Bloody Obvious Corner: your preferences regarding action may change according to the type of strings you use. :)
I learned to play on a student bass with a chunky neck and relatively high action, fitted with roundwounds. Then I learned how to set up a bass and lower the action and did so - my hands are tiny and not very strong, so any effort-saving measure is welcome. Then I moved on to better basses and installed flatwounds on all of them - massive shakeup! When I put TI flats on my 4 I had to tweak the truss rod dramatically and raise the action, because they are so soft. Similar - although slightly less marked - change with my 5s and their D'Addario Chromes.
I still tend to prefer lowish action, but low-tension flats are allowing me a little more freedom.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1356023636' post='1905946']
+1

How are people measuring their action by the way? Aren't you supposed to measure it with 1st fret and (something like) 20th fret fretted?
[/quote]
That would be the releif your talking about surely? general rule of thumb appears to be from the top edge of the 12th fret to the underside of the strings I'd say.

As for releif I go for press down on the first fret (or capo) then hold down at the 13th fret, I like to be able to just get a tuneful note by pressing down on the string between the two fretted areas, some folk can drive a bus under or often reffered technically as 'the bow and arrow' setup :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356024896' post='1905973']

That would be the releif your talking about surely? general rule of thumb appears to be from the top edge of the 12th fret to the underside of the strings I'd say.

As for releif I go for press down on the first fret (or capo) then hold down at the 13th fret, I like to be able to just get a tuneful note by pressing down on the string between the two fretted areas, some folk can drive a bus under or often reffered technically as 'the bow and arrow' setup :D
[/quote]

Yeah sorry, I meant "....and then measure the height at the 12th fret."

At the end of the day, as others have said, it's just whatever works for you innit :D I'm sure some people would hate my bass and the way it's setup, and some would love it!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1355994679' post='1905341']
I find ultra-low action basses are unplayable for my style. I had a quick go on MacDaddy's custom jobbie a couple of years ago, set up for tapping and sweeping and stuff. I couldn't get a decent sound out of it! (Sounded very different when he played it, of course.)

I'm an ... erm ... enthusiastic player, and I like to dig in. Most people think my action is high. Feels fine to me. And it's me what's playing the thing.
[/quote]

I just wish I could have a go at playing both your bass and Si's, out of curiosity, seeing that they are so radically different. I've seen and heard both of you play, and clearly your basses' setups suit your respective styles. Ah, well, never mind...

All mine set very low, but I have very soft style.

1st fret gap measured using feeler gauge under string .5 mm...nut set up

8th fret gap .3mm for relief

17th fret under 2mm for string height

All this and no fret buzz, but I do like a little clankyness

3 to 4mm string height....that's stratospheric!

Edited by iconic