Why become a member? ×

To tweet or not to tweet?

TheRev

I think I'm going to buy a Barefaced Midget to use with my Scrumpy'n'Western band (replacing a BFM Omni 10.5 which struggles on larger stages).

Should I go for the tweeter or non-tweeter version?

Bear in mind that this will be used for country rooth-fifth type stuff - nothing happening up the dusty end of the fingerboard!

Dave

I would suggest the tweeter would be superfluous in that style. Furthermore, when I recently bought my Crazy8 1x8" cab from the US, the amp guru there (MIke Arnopol) told me not to bother with a tweeter for DB. Alex will disagree here but I also don't like the siting of the tweeter on the Midget T, I feel its exposed to knocks

Edit: just saw TNIT's reply but I'm takling about straight pizz rather than slapping

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1355763950' post='1902405']
I would have thought that a Compact would be better at reproducing the full range of a DB than a Midget.
[/quote]
Most of the technical speaker discussions on TalkBass' DB forum suggest that smaller speaker sizes are better at conveying DB tones. The trendy cabs du jour are carrying 6" and 8" speakers while the Audiokinesis Thunderchild 12" also gets loads of good reviews. 15" cabs don't seem to get any support FWIW

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1355762553' post='1902368']... when I recently bought my Crazy8 1x8" cab from the US, [/quote]

Have you used your new cab in anger yet?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1355763950' post='1902405']
I would have thought that a Compact would be better at reproducing the full range of a DB than a Midget.
[/quote]

I had a compact when I was gigging DB, it turned out to be too big and too much lowend, even when trying to dial it out. It did ok for slab though. I'm still gigging the Walkabout for DB.

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1355765151' post='1902443']
Have you used your new cab in anger yet?
[/quote]nope, I had to DI at our last gig as stage was size of a small rug (the Green Note in Camden; nice little venue, mind) and there are six of us in the band. As a result I've only played the cab at home and all I can usefully say is that at home-friendly volumes it sounds very transparent and a very good match with my Acoustic Image amp. Whether its any better in a live situation than say the Wizzy 12" I used to own remains to be tested

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1355764402' post='1902427']
Most of the technical speaker discussions on TalkBass' DB forum suggest that smaller speaker sizes are better at conveying DB tones. The trendy cabs du jour are carrying 6" and 8" speakers while the Audiokinesis Thunderchild 12" also gets loads of good reviews. 15" cabs don't seem to get any support FWIW
[/quote]

I'm happy with my 1x10" Wizzy myself, but I do find the dichotomy between the bass guitar and double bass sides of Talkbass entertaining. On the bass guitar side, it is accepted as fact that driver size alone does not dictate how the cab will sound, yet on the double bass side, it is equally well accepted that 15"s are inherently unsuitable for double bass. It's hard to see how those two statements can both be correct. I suspect a good modern 1x15", tuned to avoid the boominess of some older designs could actually work very well for double bass.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I used to run my Markbass 121 with the tweeter disconnected because it is a bit hissy and scratchy.
Then I reconnected it, and realised what I'd been missing - just have to ease off the top end.

Then I blew it (too much slapping... too much unplugging without killing volume ... doh)
Then I bought a kickass replacement piezo tweeter and wired it into a little box that sits on top of the cab like a satellite tweeter.
It sounds awesome.

I knkow I slap a lot, but i think it defines the pizz tone and adds air and finger noise that helps realise that DB tone, not just bassy whump.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I won't be doing a lot of slapping, other than the odd track here and there.

Clarky: I liked the look of the Crazy 88, but wasn't sure if it had enough oomph for what I need. I'm really really interested in Mike's new cab, The Big E MA45 but the 'buy' button on Big E's website isn't working and there's no contact info for Mike Arnopol on Talkbass. Out of interest, did it take a long time/lot of effort to get your Crazy 88 over from the USA?

See, my problem with the Omni 10.5 is that I normally use it downward firing, like the Acoustic Image cabs. The apparent volume is less than but this is fine on small stages, and I can get a really nice woody sound. However on larger stages, I need to use it in the conventional forward firing orientation to get enough volume, but then I lose the woody, spread out sound and it gets a bit trebly and nasal.

Is it my cab?

I've been reading the acoustic coupling/mechanical coupling section on the Barefaced site -perhaps I need to pay a bit more attention to where I place my cab on stage and maybe buy a Gramma pad or something..

[quote name='PaulKing' timestamp='1355767063' post='1902480']
I knkow I slap a lot, but i think it defines the pizz tone and adds air and finger noise that helps realise that DB tone, not just bassy whump.
[/quote]

Yarr. I always run the tweeter in my Schroeder 1212, but then I'm using an Ehrlund mic rather than a piezo so it's got plenty of sound to do stuff with. Whereas when I was using the Realist there was no point using the tweeter at all.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1355768366' post='1902528']
Clarky: I liked the look of the Crazy 88, but wasn't sure if it had enough oomph for what I need. I'm really really interested in Mike's new cab, The Big E MA45 but the 'buy' button on Big E's website isn't working and there's no contact info for Mike Arnopol on Talkbass. Out of interest, did it take a long time/lot of effort to get your Crazy 88 over from the USA?
[/quote]
I have the Crazy8, which has the single 8"driver. I'm under no illusions it won't be loud enough for big gigs but I thought it would a neat, ultra-small/light cab for rehearsals and smaller gigs (most of ours have PA assistance anyway). I suspect the 2x8" Crazy88 option would cover a lot more ground but it was more pricey and lost the ultra-small advantage as far as I was concerned.

I actually contacted Mike Arnopol directly via PM on TalkBass and the turnaround time was just over 2 months from order to getting it through my door (including importing from US and having to pay duty to get it released etc). Here is his profile so you can contact him if you want to go the way of one of his cabs [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/member.php?u=51339"]http://www.talkbass....ber.php?u=51339[/url]

Edited by Clarky