Why become a member? ×

How long does stuff take to come from Thomann?

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355574284' post='1900062']
But the answers here will be unbiased :)

I see you have the Stagg in violin burst whats it like?
[/quote]

Not being an experienced Upright Bassist, it was OK but it took me a little while to get used to the physicality of it. ( which is much less than on a DB it should be said)! I think the comments regarding having some lessons are useful: it is easy to get into bad habits.
As I have said on here before, a good Double Bassist can make it sound really good, and like a DB, an average Bass player can make it sound different to an electric bass but not like a Double Bass. For gigging the Stagg Stand is useful.
Quite a few people have put different strings on and that helps too, there are numerous threads in the [s]EUB and Double Bass [/s]" Jazz " lounge :D

Edited by yorks5stringer

I'm going to start lessons after the new year pm already sent to someone on here ;) Long term I would like a ns but I need to get the basics first and the general feeling seams to be that the stagg can give me that, I bet the proper db makers love these as its probably a popular first step, I doubt I would either buy a db or an eub if it was going to be £2000 minimum but I will happily if I can play one in future :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355578571' post='1900140']
Says on the email orders placed over the weekend won't be processed until monday anyway.
[/quote]

Placed the order on a weekend...2 extra days wait.
This close to Christmas...could be even longer in the Post.
The word "Masochist" springs to mind!
:D :D ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355654860' post='1900896']
I ordered it saturday so It would be nice to have it by next weekend :) All the hours to play it (try and learn how to play it) instead of watching crap christmas TV has to be good :)
[/quote]

OOHHH! have you ever played gran turismo 5? There's this great upright bass music when you're at the garage thingy in the game. You should learn that, then let me hear it, because i quite enjoyed it :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355654860' post='1900896']
All the hours to play it (try and learn how to play it) instead of watching crap christmas TV has to be good :)
[/quote]
Best to make sure you dont overdo it at first, if you're not used to the scale length you might be getting a few aches and pains. :wacko:

Recently ordered a Stagg EUB and a tuner from Thomann and it took 6 days from hitting 'enter' to delivery including a weekend. Seems it spent most of the time in an airport... but to be honest was excellent service.

Be prepared for a hilariously over sized box (length, that is; pfnarr..) which took me a few attempts to get into the car as i had it delivered to work.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1355916936' post='1904348']
Is it being delivered by DHL or UPS?
[/quote] Not sure? just using the link on the Thomann site.
[quote name='robbiano' timestamp='1355917482' post='1904354']
Recently ordered a Stagg EUB and a tuner from Thomann and it took 6 days from hitting 'enter' to delivery including a weekend. Seems it spent most of the time in an airport... but to be honest was excellent service.

Be prepared for a hilariously over sized box (length, that is; pfnarr..) which took me a few attempts to get into the car as i had it delivered to work.
[/quote]
Cool how are you finding the EUB? are the strings rubbish, does it rattle, does the nut need filing down a bit? Plenty of questions :lol: Can you play it or are you a novice like me? I say novice mine is not even here yet so I am a minus novice really :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355917833' post='1904366']

Cool how are you finding the EUB? are the strings rubbish, does it rattle, does the nut need filing down a bit? Plenty of questions :lol: Can you play it or are you a novice like me? I say novice mine is not even here yet so I am a minus novice really :)
[/quote]

The strings aren't awful considering they go for 20 quid, and are fine to get started on. The end pin is prone to rattling but is easily fixed with a bit of shrink-wrap and/or foam. I got mine second-hand and the nut had been filed down. It's surprisingly easy to play if you've played a bit of bass guitar or fretless, not that painful, but I've a long way to go before I'm consistently in tune!

I can play a fretted bass out of tune anyway :lol: I am ok with tools (see broken wrist thread for confirmation :o ) so filing the nut does not scare me nor does the rattley end pin so I guess it just depends on how bad the strings are on mine, some people have had them delivered with shot ones which I am sure Thomann would be happy to replace with a set of new Stagg strings but it might be worth putting something decent on right away, at a cost of 1/3 of the bass! :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355917953' post='1904370']
Just looked it is UPS good or bad?
[/quote]

You using the UPS trace link?

My stuff has always come DHL. The oversized box thing is hilarious, my wireless unit came in a box just under a metre squared. Inside was a ton of packing with a tiny shoe box sixed box inside.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355918886' post='1904396']
ITS ON ITS WAY!!!!! Delivery before the end of today, it was in Stoke at 5am this morning Oooooshh :lol:

Now here is the snagg, I have got to go and do a quote for work at a nearby school so what the fecking betting it turns up if I go out?
[/quote]

OH... you work for the civil construction trade? IT ALL MAKE SENSE NOW! I was wondering how an electrician could have all that great gear in times like these! :D