Why become a member? ×

A leap into 5er-land?

MiltyG565

I don't think Jazz necks work on 5's... but the transition isn't ..or should not be, about how thin the neck is...
If is obviously going to be wider as you have to cram 5 strings in and I like the wider spacing...but if you have a good hand position and technique
then you will not have the trouble there... it is about about the striking hand and the way you have to re-align your techniques, IMO.
Just a fraction off and you'll be making some strange noises...!!! :lol:

I agree that scale and neck construction..ie bolt-on or neck thru are irrelevant for the B..
Well made and good construction are far more important ..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1355507929' post='1899476']
I don't think Jazz necks work on 5's... but the transition isn't ..or should not be, about how thin the neck is...
If is obviously going to be wider as you have to cram 5 strings in and I like the wider spacing...but if you have a good hand position and technique
then you will not have the trouble there... it is about about the striking hand and the way you have to re-align your techniques, IMO.
Just a fraction off and you'll be making some strange noises...!!! :lol:

I agree that scale and neck construction..ie bolt-on or neck thru are irrelevant for the B..
Well made and good construction are far more important ..
[/quote]

I have fairly good technique. when i was at my guitar lesson yesterday, my teacher was really impressed with my chord shapes and hand positions and strumming. I know it isn't bass, but i was playing bass for over a year before guitar.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1355487193' post='1899000']
The problem is, budget 5 string basses can put you off the whole idea of a 5 string. It did with me for 10 years or more! (Tanglewood 5 string back in the day....awful).
[/quote]

Which is why I got Sei to make me one...
Most 5's back then were not good...
Are they much better now...??? probably more are better but still a minefield and still the B defines
TOTALLY whether they work.

It took me 30 years of playing before switching to 5 string....and I will never go back to 4. I bought a used Ibanez SR605 at a great price to try out the extra string - a fantastic cheapish 5 string.

Buy what you want though dude...its your cash. If you want a Fenderish style 5 and have a reasonable budget I personally would go either a Lakland or Stingray.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1355513380' post='1899563']
It took me 30 years of playing before switching to 5 string....and I will never go back to 4. I bought a used Ibanez SR605 at a great price to try out the extra string - a fantastic cheapish 5 string.

Buy what you want though dude...its your cash. If you want a Fenderish style 5 and have a reasonable budget I personally would go either a Lakland or Stingray.
[/quote]

Cheers man, but i was wondering more what people thought of the bass i mentioned in the OP, but it has somehow descended into which bass is best, which wasn't what i was looking for at all.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355513737' post='1899569']

Cheers man, but i was wondering more what people thought of the bass i mentioned in the OP, but it has somehow descended into which bass is best, which wasn't what i was looking for at all.
[/quote]
Within a few posts I thought it was fairly obvious the general feeling was that there is better out there for the same or less money?
Truth is its not what you want to hear :)

Lol...yes true. Apologies! For what its worth I dont think you can go far wrong with a bass of that quality. Its horses for courses really.

I will share my personal wisdom on the subject of the "what bass is best question" with you....I'm a great believer that the name of the person playing the bass is much more important than the name on the headstock!

If you think about it people get so hung up on all the different basses out there - but they are all merely variations on the same theme.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355516064' post='1899607']
Within a few posts I thought it was fairly obvious the general feeling was that there is better out there for the same or less money?
Truth is its not what you want to hear :)
[/quote]

The word biased came up a few times, so i disregarded it.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1355516294' post='1899609']
Lol...yes true. Apologies! For what its worth I dont think you can go far wrong with a bass of that quality. Its horses for courses really.

I will share my personal wisdom on the subject of the "what bass is best question" with you....I'm a great believer that the name of the person playing the bass is much more important than the name on the headstock!

If you think about it people get so hung up on all the different basses out there - but they are all merely variations on the same theme.
[/quote]

Very true indeed!

We are only biased because we have tried, owned or own most of the basses mentioned and settled (for now) on musicman, other people are biased because they own a particular brand no more no less. I have played everthing from Alleva to Zon in the 4 and 5 string variety and still happy with my Rays, if any of them had made more of an impression on me you can see from my sig alone that I could sell the lot and buy a 4 and 5 string pair of most basses within reason, but I haven't :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355520103' post='1899667']
Btw I'm not saying buy a musicman I'm saying take on board what everyone said and try them all, anywho I think your already gassing for the Fender so its your call not mine, I doubt anything I can say will be taken on board so I shall leave you to it.
[/quote]

That is very untrue, i have read and listened to everything you guys have said, i did ask for your advice afterall.

Pic in the OP looks great...colour scheme not withstanding.... but there is NO way I would be buyng that off spec.
The one you try might be a beauty but I don't think that is a given..it isn't for many 5's IME..let alone Fenders...

No way round that legwork..... I'd suggest

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1355524509' post='1899719']
Pic in the OP looks great...colour scheme not withstanding.... but there is NO way I would be buyng that off spec.
The one you try might be a beauty but I don't think that is a given..it isn't for many 5's IME..let alone Fenders...

No way round that legwork..... I'd suggest
[/quote]

What are you saying?

I am saying that I wouldn't buy a bass like this from a company like that without playing and hearing it.

I have relatively recently ( in the last year ) been in a chain shop which must have had about 50 basses... that narrows the shop down, :lol:..
and maybe 20 were 5's...

I could go through all the common names and I couldn't find one that was playable..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1355526343' post='1899734']
I am saying that I wouldn't buy a bass like this from a company like that without playing and hearing it.
[/quote]

I agree and would never do this myself. Although saying that aren't online retailers legally obliged to offer a 7 day return policy? Not sure but I thought so. If so then I it's a stinker there's a simple solution!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1355526343' post='1899734']

I have relatively recently ( in the last year ) been in a chain shop which must have had about 50 basses... that narrows the shop down, :lol:..
and maybe 20 were 5's...

I could go through all the common names and I couldn't find one that was playable..
[/quote]

Of course i wouldn't buy one without playing first. I have said i would go looking for one and try it first.

[quote name='Ashwood1985' timestamp='1355627162' post='1900769']
I agree and would never do this myself. Although saying that aren't online retailers legally obliged to offer a 7 day return policy? Not sure but I thought so. If so then I it's a stinker there's a simple solution!
[/quote]
Yup, the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000, Reg 11(2) '... the cancellation period ends on the expiry of the period of [b]seven [i]working days[/i][/b] beginning with the day after the day on which the consumer receives the goods.' There's a bit more to it than that - you can read the full Regs [url="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/pdfs/uksi_20002334_en.pdf"]here[/url] if you're so inclined.

Useful links for online buying:
[url="http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice/consumer_service.htm"]Citizens Advice help for consumers[/url]
[url="http://actionfraud.org.uk/"]Action fraud (scams)[/url]
[url="http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/problemswithgoods-sum5.cfm"]Trading Standards - consumer information[/url]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1355823676' post='1903070']
Yup, the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000, Reg 11(2) '... the cancellation period ends on the expiry of the period of [b]seven [i]working days[/i][/b] beginning with the day after the day on which the consumer receives the goods.' There's a bit more to it than that - you can read the full Regs [url="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/pdfs/uksi_20002334_en.pdf"]here[/url] if you're so inclined.

Useful links for online buying:
[url="http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice/consumer_service.htm"]Citizens Advice help for consumers[/url]
[url="http://actionfraud.org.uk/"]Action fraud (scams)[/url]
[url="http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/problemswithgoods-sum5.cfm"]Trading Standards - consumer information[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers for that!

I have to be honest, I love my P bass but having played a fair few different Fender 5's (some set up fantastically by members on here at basschat)...

They just don't work for me, at all...

Basses I would prefer in a similar price range that I've played:
Musicman (I like the 5's but not the 4's...)
Warwick
Yamaha TRB series (Honestly, one of the best I've played)
Sadowsky (About on par with the TRB)
Dingwall (THE BEST 5 I've played, not the combustion though so slightly higher budget)

All of these have played much better and generally responded better to my playing than any of the fenders I've tried.

Personally,I wouldn't be looking at that kind of money if I wasn't sure about playing a 5 string.You can
get a great instrument for well under that. My first 5 (back in '98) was a Warwick Corvette that I got
for about £450. I later got rid of it,but since then all my 5 strings have cost me less than that Fender-
My Roscoe LG3500,Shuker Singlecut,Warwick Streamer and pre Nashville Tobias all cost me well under
a grand.
I also picked up a Mexican Fender Jazz Deluxe V for under £350 and I've used it on so many
gigs.I've never had a problem with the B string or the neck joint (it's not hard to play over the entire range),
or the EQ or whatever-it always plays and sounds great.At the minute,I mainly use the Warwick but I also
carry the Fender as well.
Don't dismiss the Yamaha basses either.They make great,very consistent,instruments. The BB East and the
TRB range are particularly good.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1355839268' post='1903407']
I have to be honest, I love my P bass but having played a fair few different Fender 5's (some set up fantastically by members on here at basschat)...

They just don't work for me, at all...

Basses I would prefer in a similar price range that I've played:
Musicman (I like the 5's but not the 4's...)
Warwick
Yamaha TRB series (Honestly, one of the best I've played)
Sadowsky (About on par with the TRB)
Dingwall (THE BEST 5 I've played, not the combustion though so slightly higher budget)

All of these have played much better and generally responded better to my playing than any of the fenders I've tried.
[/quote]

hmm... Ok, i shall have to look at a couple of those too then. I actually like the look of dingwalls. I don't usually like boutique basses, but they look pretty cool, and the fanned fret is pretty cool too.

But as i have said before, the jazz neck profile suits me. Which of these would you say has the best jazz profile?

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1355841193' post='1903466']
Personally,I wouldn't be looking at that kind of money if I wasn't sure about playing a 5 string.You can
get a great instrument for well under that. My first 5 (back in '98) was a Warwick Corvette that I got
for about £450. I later got rid of it,but since then all my 5 strings have cost me less than that Fender-
My Roscoe LG3500,Shuker Singlecut,Warwick Streamer and pre Nashville Tobias all cost me well under
a grand.
I also picked up a Mexican Fender Jazz Deluxe V for under £350 and I've used it on so many
gigs.I've never had a problem with the B string or the neck joint (it's not hard to play over the entire range),
or the EQ or whatever-it always plays and sounds great.At the minute,I mainly use the Warwick but I also
carry the Fender as well.
Don't dismiss the Yamaha basses either.They make great,very consistent,instruments. The BB East and the
TRB range are particularly good.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. So you use a fender jazz 5 regularly? what would you say about build quality and playability of it? I might just get a second hand one if i stumble across one at the right time. I've opened up a little more to the idea of a different style bass, but at the end of the day, it's about the feel of it to me, and i just know (as far as i know from what i have played) a jazz profile suits me!