Why become a member? ×

Autographed scratch plate

NickSpector

I have an autographed Fender Jazz Scratch plate. I met Rory Macdonald of Runrig after a show, and he autographer two of my scratch plates. However, I was told to use hair spray to seal one ofthem, but it destroyed the signatures. I have another one though, but I don;t know how best to go about covering this one? I have perspex, but nobody seems able to cut perspex pprecisely enough to go round the exact shape of the pickguard and slot over the top of the pickups etc. Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by NickSpector

[quote name='NickSpector' post='198562' date='May 14 2008, 10:44 AM']I have an autographer Fender Jazz Scratch plate. I met Rory Macdonald of Runrig after a show, and he autographer two of my scratch plates. However, I was told to use hair spray to seal one ofthem, but it destroyed the signatures. I have another one though, but I don;t know how best to go about covering this one? I have perspex, but nobody seems able to cut perspex pprecisely enough to go round the exact shape of the pickguard and slot over the top of the pickups etc. Any advice is appreciated.[/quote]

I dint think there would be another Runrig fan on this forum! Ive met Rory several times along with the band and he has always been very approachable and gives his time freely. Hes a Stingray man if I recall, in Teal Green. Calum is a gent too and Ian is just mad.

Anyway, try a 3m aerosol sealant spray. may need several coats. Also, try a clear vinyl self adhesive film, bit like th film you take off a new plate.

With any "wet" treatment there's always a risk that it might be a solvent for the ink (which is probably what happened with the hairspray).

You could try VERY light coats - so light that the ink doesn't get a chance to dissolve into anything. If you build it up in that way it should be ok, but give it plenty of time to dry between coats.

[quote name='backwater' post='198573' date='May 14 2008, 10:55 AM']There may be more Runrig fans on the board than you think!

Another one here - I actually own Donnie Munro's old 12-string Moon acoustic.

Andy :huh:[/quote]
I wouldn't exactly call myself a fan (although I have seen them) - but I saw Donnie Munro shopping in Argos at Kinnaird Park, Edinburgh a few years back.

[i]The Cutter & The Clan[/i]'s a pretty good album, as I remember... :)

Jon.

Haha Riggies everywhere! I'm off to see them yet again at Edinburgh Vastle this year....anyhow, back on topic, the thing is, can I buy another scratchplate that'll fit exactly? I'd keep the scratchplate off, but my bass has a gaping electronics hole in it, as it's a Deluxe USA, and the elctronics are under the scratchplate.

As for the vinyl idea, where'd I find that? (i also think I never actually removed the vinyl off my scratchplate....only recently has it started to come up at the edges.....).

And in answer to the final posted, yep, it's me!

[quote name='neilb' post='198571' date='May 14 2008, 10:53 AM']I dint think there would be another Runrig fan on this forum! Ive met Rory several times along with the band and he has always been very approachable and gives his time freely. Hes a Stingray man if I recall, in Teal Green. Calum is a gent too and Ian is just mad.

Anyway, try a 3m aerosol sealant spray. may need several coats. Also, try a clear vinyl self adhesive film, bit like th film you take off a new plate.[/quote]
I'm not exactly a fan but I did get dragged to a few gigs by an ex-girlfriend and thought they put on a good show. The first time said ex dragged me to see Chris de Burgh (how embarrassing is it to admit to that) and they were the support and pissed all over C de B.

I later became quite friendly with Rory's niece purely by chance. Never even knew they were related. I seem to remember he played Jazzes in the late 80s.

[quote name='ednaplate' post='199102' date='May 14 2008, 10:00 PM']I'm not exactly a fan but I did get dragged to a few gigs by an ex-girlfriend and thought they put on a good show. The first time said ex dragged me to see Chris de Burgh (how embarrassing is it to admit to that) and they were the support and pissed all over C de B.

I later became quite friendly with Rory's niece purely by chance. Never even knew they were related. I seem to remember he played Jazzes in the late 80s.[/quote]

I randomly stumbled on a number of the Macdonald clan on myspace on day when browsing the Runrig friends on myspace.

And yes, he played Jazzes and Wals. I want his sunburst jazz, and that damn Wal too, sounded ace!

[quote name='dlloyd' post='199099' date='May 14 2008, 09:58 PM']You could probably get a replacement scratchplate from Fender, but there will be cheaper options. One of the best is this guy:

[url="http://stores.ebay.com/Dazbootman-Pickguards_W0QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247"]http://stores.ebay.com/Dazbootman-Pickguar...Q2em118Q2el1247[/url]

How's that parrot? :)[/quote]

Ok cheers will have a gander.

Haha makes that parrotS! 7 of the little buggers now, and they're all fine cheers! Still a mad house! :huh:

I'm totally not into autographed instruments. I could live with something small on the back of the headstock but that's about it. I have a bunch of autographs, and generally I just get people to sign a CD cover.

So I agree with the stick it on the wall and get another ploy.

[quote name='NickSpector' post='199114' date='May 14 2008, 10:16 PM']Ok cheers will have a gander.

Haha makes that parrotS! 7 of the little buggers now, and they're all fine cheers! Still a mad house! :huh:[/quote]

I got a white pearloid from dazbootman and it's very nice !
The original pickguard is now on my wall with Marcus Miller's signature on it :)

just try clear laquer, but before you do, get a similar piece of scrap plastic, scribble your signature on it, let it dry then try the laquer over it, if it doesnt react with the perm marker you should be fine and you can then do the autographed plate.
Before i try anything new i always try it on scrap first, just in case, a very bad experience in the past with a project i was working on, i ended up stripping the whole body down again and it was a nightmare.