Why become a member? ×

Pleasantly Surprised.

chaypup

I recorded our gig on Friday expecting to be critical of my playing (in a good way, in order to improve)
but I was surprised at how good I sound!

In one song I was playing fills I didn't know I could! :)

Anyone else listened to themselves and been much better than expected?

Yes! Dangerous, but a nice feeling. Did some recording on Saturday, drummer is a perfectionist with a sharp ear and wanted to go through the first track as he heard some bass parts not in time. Ran through with everyone, got to the end, he couldn't find anything and it sounded surprisingly tight to me!

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1354546336' post='1887194']
I recorded our gig on Friday expecting to be critical of my playing (in a good way, in order to improve)
but I was surprised at how good I sound!

In one song I was playing fills I didn't know I could! :)

Anyone else listened to themselves
and been much better than expected?
[/quote]I'd like to know what we sound like recorded so can i ask you what recording device you use?

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1354564020' post='1887482']
I'd like to know what we sound like recorded so can i ask you what recording device you use?
[/quote]

We used a Zoom H2N pretty good sound, better if you're all going through the desk though and just plug it in to the record out on the desk. :)

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1354568088' post='1887580']

We used a Zoom H2N pretty good sound, better if you're all going through the desk though and just plug it in to the record out on the desk. :)
[/quote]thanks a lot matey, no bass,drums or guitar thru the desk or the singer 'll ave a wobbler.. Its his PA...where would be the best place to put it whilst recording?

Edited by rogerstodge

Have on occasion been through that. I have some old cassettes of gigs from years ago (cassettes will tell you how many) and am stil surprised by what I managed on occasion

Stuck my Roland R-05 behind the bar Saturday - or rather asked a mate who helps roadying to do it having explained how to turn it on. set pause record and start record. Got home after a particularly enjoyable & 95% tight as a ducks #### cpuple of sets looking orward to hearing the new songs in the set in particular, and found

Nothing :angry: Looks like record was not pressed :(

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1354570793' post='1887637']
thanks a lot matey, no bass,drums or guitar thru the desk or the singer 'll ave a wobbler.. Its his PA...where would be the best place to put it whilst recording?
[/quote]

We (I) normally record all our gigs. We started doing it because we had a couple fo clients that insisted we didnt play their requests or for long enough etc. Recording the gig means we have proof of anything if needed.
I quite enjoy listening back to our recordings, they always sound more enjoyable than i remember, even the next day.
We only use a vocal PA so although things are mic'ed up its not really set up for a recording mix, especially as we only use one mic on the drums (in the bass drum).
I use a small Edirol digital recorder strapped to the singers mic stand. This means it gets a good stereo spread off the stage, his body acts as a drum shield so they aren't too loud, it picks up the crowd and the vocals get picked up by the monitor at his feet. After years of odd mic placement with DAT and MD recorders this works the best and gives a very decent recording......we just have to work on getting decent playing now :-(

Edited by dave_bass5

A few weeks back, we'd just finished our soundcheck then the sound guy started playing some music through the PA.
We'd recently been doing some demos at my place, so when one of our songs came on, I thought "how the hell did he get hold of that?"
as only our singer had access to our demos, but it sounded great. When I asked the sound guy, he said it was what we'd just played in the soundcheck, stereo straight into his laptop! He did the whole gig later, but his hard drive died before the next time we played there :(
I guess I wont ever know if it was just hearing it loud through the PA that made it sound that good...

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1354570793' post='1887637']
thanks a lot matey, no bass,drums or guitar thru the desk or the singer 'll ave a wobbler.. Its his PA...where would be the best place to put it whilst recording?
[/quote]

Use one desk for the pa and if you can get your hands on another (and the mics and leads) for the night use that one for recording. The mix will be different anyway.

It's a hard one for sure but I do record almost everything I gig but make sure I only do it well if at all seeing as acoustics can be really harsh to bass so I try and get an isolated bass signal to really hear where I'm going wrong!

I'm a big fan of bootleg recordings and behind the scenes rare stuff and I've come to really enjoy hearing things raw with slight mistakes or things that I'd do differently because it's a snapshot of being in the moment which is something hard to hear from myself and others while shedding or rehearsing.