Why become a member? ×

Starting a band

jackers

So, after the disaster that was my last band (see my other thread), I have decided to start my own band. It's going to be a pop-punk band, and I've have put up ads on joinmyband and gumtree, so hopefully I should get some interest soon :)

My main issue is that I really want to get the right people for this, as I really want it to work out, but I struggle saying no to people if I see it isn't going to work out, so instead of getting the best people, I just end up with the first people who reply.

I'm not sure of the best way to go about it, so I was wondering what you guys think. I did have a couple of ideas, like getting some of my friends to help audition them so I can get an idea of their playing, but beyond that I dunno what to do.

Cheers

I think there are three things you really need to be sure are compatable before choosing:

1. Playing ability
2. Personality
3. Commitment

I say this from rather awful recent experience in my band in finding a new guitarist.... Number 1 was a brilliant player, but he was a w***er! Number 2 was a great player, was a top bloke, but didn't turn up on time to rehearsals and was flaky about gigs. Number 3 turned up on time, was lovely, but couldn't play for toffee (when a guitarist who claims to have been playing for 20 years can't handle a simple 12 bar blues...... ALARM BELLS!). We are now on guitarist 4, so far so good ;)

Good luck with getting your band together.

I find this topic fascinating. There have been a number of threads with bassists complaining about "overblown" guitar sounds in rock bands, which got me wondering if there are any more "bass lead" bands like Thin Lizzy or motorhead, even dare I say Mark King. I guess if you play in a "rock" band you have to resign to the fact that it is going to be all about the guitars. Whereas perhaps Reggae, Jazz funk etc the whole sound balance is different. I guess the question Im asking is, "if you play bass in a rock band are you going to be a background instrument" unless its 'your' band!

Perhaps the key is whether you write your own material or are a covers band. Dont get me wrong, I love my bass and love playing but I'm just being objective. :)

The band I am in that is in the process of (re)coalescing has decided that we're not having a guitarist. We have drums, a sax, a trombone and a keyboard. Furthermore, the player of said keyboard usually holds a pint in his left hand during the gig instead of trampling through my frequency space. I'm a lucky boy :)

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1354006666' post='1880602']
I guess if you play in a "rock" band you have to resign to the fact that it is going to be all about the guitars.
[/quote]

The Dark Lord is furious at such an attitude.

Not me, no way, not ever. Bass drives the song - up there in the front of the mix along with the singer.

To expand on commitment a bit, I reckon it's also important to establish what everyone wants out of a band.

A few months ago I was approached to play in a band, but turned it down as I wasn't keen on the sample tracks they sent (too "pop" and not enough "rock"). Last month I saw the band was advertising for a new bass player and watched a couple of clips. They're now much more in my camp, but when I dropped the singer an email it transpired they have dreams of being famous, getting a record deal and so on. Those aren't my dreams, so we didn't take it any further.

In my experience, a lot of conflict in a band is caused by the different members having different reasons for being in the band. In my current set-up we squabble about songs, even about the band's name, but we're all in it for fun, for one gig a month (ploughing our earnings back into kit).

Given that, everyone's happy for the sound to be the best we can. Sometimes that means asking one of the guitarists to turn up a bit as we're losing a solo in the overall mix. Yes, really.

The problems seem to arise if a guitarist is using a band to live out his or her fantasies, rather than being part of a band.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1354000630' post='1880569']
I think there are three things you really need to be sure are compatable before choosing:

1. Playing ability
2. Personality
3. Commitment

[/quote]

I agree with that, though it would be interesting to discuss the priority of those attributes.

I'd suggest personality and commitment above playing ability. Not that ability is not important, more that lots of people can play well enough but if you don't actually like them then the band will always be hard work.

It's a bit like interviewing someone for a job vacancy. You can easily sort through a pile of CVs to get a shortlist with the right technical qualifications but it's the interview that's so important because that's where you (try to) sort out the people who would never actually fit in, regardless of their paper qualifications or, in this case, their playing ability.

Best policy is to be honest but assertive. Don't bullshit people. If you don't think they are right for your band, then say so. It is possible to be clear without being rude. "You're a great player but I just don't think you are the right person for this project" type of thing.

You have to be a little bit selfish or you will end up saddled with a load of heartache and regret later.

A good mantra for life in general really! B)

Ok so I'm not sure about starting from scratch but what we did to get a singer and guitarist was to email a track minus their part and get them to record it and send it back. If they couldnt do that then move on. Then get the good ones down to meet us at a practise. Drunkards and druggies polite thanks but no thanks, weirdos depends on how weird. It worked for us as our singer has been with us for 5 years and the guitarist for 2 and still speaks to us!!

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1353977327' post='1880539']
My main issue is that I really want to get the right people for this, [/quote]

Be aware, though, that what [i]you[/i] think are the "right people" may not actually exist, or may already be in their ideal bands. If you set your standards too high you will never even get started.

You could meet prospective new band members for a chat and a beer (other drinks available) first. I found this works well, just to chat through stuff without playing, to make sure you're on the same wavelength. This will help weed out the weirdo's. You can meet at a neutral venue, rather than your own place, which gives you some level of anonymity should someone take umbrage to not being 'the one' for the job.

Just my 2p :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1354013809' post='1880731']
Be aware, though, that what [i]you[/i] think are the "right people" may not actually exist, or may already be in their ideal bands. If you set your standards too high you will never even get started.
[/quote]

Ofcourse, by 'right people' I don't mean the perfect ones, I just mean I don't want to get saddled with people who I know are wrong because I'm too nice to say no :P haha. and yea, meeting for a drink and a chat sounds like a good idea.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1354000630' post='1880569']

1. Playing ability
2. Personality
3. Commitment

[/quote]

Agreed. i'd add

4. looks the part.

At least, I would if I wasnt an old and ugly fat git.

But I think you need people of similar ages at least, punters dont just listen, they look as well, and somebody who looks out of place cos theyre a lot older or younger, spoils the effect.

I wouldn't be too bothered about age. You could be dismissing the 'right' person for the position. I've seen (and been in) bands with a massive age range and found this, if anything, more beneficial to the whole experience.

I agree if you're trying to form a 'boy band' (or 'girl band'), where image (and age) are important :)