Why become a member? ×

COMPLETED: Spare hook-up wire

Jono Bolton

Has anyone got any spare wire for connecting electrics inside a guitar/bass? Maybe you've finished a project and have a wee bit left over that you don't need? I'm looking for somewhere in the region of 1/2 a metre, if anyone has some?
Cheers

Edited by pantherairsoft
Completed post

[quote name='jono b' post='196803' date='May 11 2008, 11:11 PM']Has anyone got any spare wire for connecting electrics inside a guitar/bass? Maybe you've finished a project and have a wee bit left over that you don't need? I'm looking for somewhere in the region of 1/2 a metre, if anyone has some?
Cheers[/quote]

pm me your address and I'll send you some mate, what colour(s) do you want?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='196811' date='May 11 2008, 11:18 PM']maplins mate, do it dirt cheap[/quote]
Could have used some a couple of months ago, myself. Thought about Maplin but I didn't know the exact type and didn't trust the usual muppets that work in there to recommend the right stuff.

For future reference, what should I ask for?

Thanks

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='197346' date='May 12 2008, 05:56 PM']Could have used some a couple of months ago, myself. Thought about Maplin but I didn't know the exact type and didn't trust the usual muppets that work in there to recommend the right stuff.

For future reference, what should I ask for?

Thanks[/quote]

just bring a bit of wire in, and find some same thickness, most of what they sell is just the same inside with different thicknesses i think

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='204864' date='May 23 2008, 11:26 AM']what happens if you use copper wire and a diffrent thickness???? :ph34r: :)

Im pleased with how it sounds but im sure there must be some drawbacks im not noticing with using difffrent wires.[/quote]

It really doesn't matter. Though some audiophools would say you get a brighter sound with white insulation, deeper if it's black.

Cat 5 wire is ok but be careful when you strip it as it's solid, rather than stranded, and can fracture if you're not careful. The usual general purpose stuff is called 7/0.2 (about 1.2mm diameter including insulation).

I have miles of it, anyone wants some PM me.