Why become a member? ×

Markbass Mini CMD121P Combo

Lozz196

Ok, I bought this little 1x12 combo (with a matching 1x12 NY121 Ext cab) as my back has got to the point where I have to be sensible and start looking after it a bit better. Up until now I`ve been a head/410 or head/410 and 210 type of bassist. So, knowing I love the Markbass sound, I plumped for these based both on reviews, and weight/size. I was prepared to compromise on sound, in order to keep healthy.

Well I couldn`t have been more wrong. There is no compromise at all. For my punk band, The Daves, I use both, but for my other band, The Tuesday Club, I only use the combo. The sound is full, rich, and sits great in the mix with my Precision. The guys in my bands are amazed at how such a big sound comes out of such a small amp.

Spec-time:
Weight 13.3kg/29.3lb
Power 300 watts at 8ohms, 500 watts at 4ohms
And these are loud watts - I keep the volume on about 3 or 4, out of 12.
Piezo tweeter - no on/off switch - possibly the only improvement I can think of.
Pre-post eq DI with volume control
Tuner out

I really can`t find the words to describe how pleased I am with this set-up. Up until now, although I`ve tried many different brands, Ampeg was my tone-king, and I never thought another brand would take it`s place. Wrong! If I needed more depth of sound - very unlikely, but possible if playing much larger venues - I think I`d just double-up, and get the same rig again, so have 2 of the combos and 2 extension speakers.

I`ve finally found the sound I`ve been searching for, in much smaller boxes than I was previously looking in.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

These are great little combos. I often gigged mine on its own in small pubs. Sometimes added a Markbass 1 x 15" traveller (first model) which seemed to work fine.

At one time I toyed with the idea of two combos just to have a spare amp but buying Barefaced cabs changed my direction around that time.

Great setup, and one that will surprise most people who judge it initially on size alone.

Frank.

I've had mine about 9 months now, really cannot complain! The difference compared to the 300W Ashdown MAG 15 it replaced is astonishing, so much louder and better sounding, yet less then half the weight. I've got a 121H(12" speaker with horn) cab and a mate of mine has the New York 121, both are great cabs and make a heck of a difference to the sound when added. The H is a bit fuller-sounding to my ears as the cab itself is a little bigger, but you'd never guess they were a 500W rig from the size or volume.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1358975679' post='1948089']
Very good little amps.

Just sold mine, but only because a chap I know locally was selling a lm3 and 2 102 trav cabs, almost new, so I took the opportunity to change.

But, yeah, ace combo.
[/quote]

I also had a LMII and two 2 x 10 traveller cabs at one time. That is also a superb sounding, easily transported and flexible setup and, if anything, an improvement in sound compared to the 1 x 12 combo plus 1 x 12 cab.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1359045721' post='1948980']
I also had a LMII and two 2 x 10 traveller cabs at one time. That is also a superb sounding, easily transported and flexible setup and, if anything, an improvement in sound compared to the 1 x 12 combo plus 1 x 12 cab.

Frank.
[/quote]

I am beyond happy with it. Spent far too much time f**king around this last couple of years, and have come back to pretty much where I started (used to use LM2 and MB410).

Gas, Gone.

Yes, my previous set-up was a Markbass Little Mark Tube into a Markbass Standard 104HR. Aside from the extra warmth the tube function on the amp had, my current set-up gives virtually the same sound, but it`s just so much easier to cart around. Maybe if we are talking big stages where I had to push the volume the LMT & 104HR would take the Mini 121P & NY121, but I don`t play those venues so it`s not a concern.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1353674762' post='1877237']
I`ve finally found the sound I`ve been searching for, in much smaller boxes than I was previously looking in.
[/quote]

Reviving this thread as I'm in a similar situation of downsizing a markbass 410hf + LM2, and considering a MB 121 combo and maybe extension cab.
Lozz - how much beef does the extension cab add? is it more lows, or just same but louder?
Do you need the extension cab to play with a drummer?
Any info appreciated :)
Ted

Hi Ted

Well the addition of the extension cab significantly adds a lot more to the lows. Not lower, but just much beefier and a sturdier sound.

The combo on its own however is fine. I use it like this with my 8-piece band, which has another bassist (so I`m not doing all the low-end myself, though we both play different lines) and for gigs in regular sized pubs it`s fine. Being an 8-piece, we don`t have much room for amps, but I`v never felt my sound was lacking without the ext cab, and listening to live recordings bears this out - I`m up there with the rest no probs.

I think Markbass are very like Ampeg - their sound is aimed at that "fitting in" slice of the tonal spectrum, never overbearingly low, nor crisp and ear-piercingly shrill.

I have the same rig as Lozz but mostly use it for double bass. I can confirm that the combo is fine alone in a band context so long as your band mates are not driving 4x12s. In my band, with Vibroverb & Bassman combos, it's fine.

Having said that, after owning just the combo for over 3 years, I added the NY121 cab last summer & wished I'd done it earlier. I find you just get more of everything rather than more low & it's somehow easier to fill the room without having the stage volume too loud.

The tweeter on the cab is adjustable, the one on the combo isn't. I have no issues with the tweeter but have heard of one DB player who had it disconnected. Never heard of a bass guitarist who disliked it but they may exist.

You are welcome to have a go on mine if you are local - I am on the phone so can't see your location.

• 10 years later...

Last night I did a rehearsal with my CMD 121P for the first time and we were all blown away by how good it is. I had to wind it up to about half way to balance the drummer but it had no problem keeping up with the three of us and I use a Dingwall 5 string so some lows in there. Weirdly, when I'm playing I can find it a bit tough to assess the tone, but maybe that's down to the earplug, anyway - when the drummer had a go on the Dingwall/Markbass setup and I was just listening I was floored by how good it sounded.

Deep, snappy, punchy but a few degrees off HiFi, just enough for it to be colouring the sound and in a lovely way. I've also got a Darkglass Adam that I use for distortion and compression but didn't have it last night. 

I stuck the amp on a little portable wheely thing and walked to the rehearsal with bass and amp, it's about 20-25 mins and I was shocked by being able to take a whole gig-level setup without needing the car. If you'd told me this was possible when I was young I'd not have believed you. 

I do have an NY121 cab too but I keep it at a friend's place for when I'm rehearsing there, if I ever need that extra for a gig I can put the two together - looking forward to trying that one day!