Why become a member? ×

Looking for that perfect string

BASainty

I am currently going through strings like water in an attempt to find that "perfect" string for me, I have come almighty close with the Legacy nickel strings, I like their sound and tension but they do very limited gauges.

So could anyone tell me if their are strings out there that are very much like the Legacies but with more varied gauges and preferably something that lasts longer than 2 months?

These are the strings im currently looking at:

Picato Nickel Wound
Dunlop Nickel Plated Steel
Daddario XL Nickel Wound
Fender Pure Nickel Wound
Fender Nickel Plated Steel
Elite Player Series Nickel Wound

If anyone could tell me a bit about any of these strings or how they compare that would be great!

Also if anyone has any other suggestions then I am all ears :).

What gauges are you looking for? They seem to be inexpensive enough that you could purchase two or three different sets, assemble the gauges you desire out of each of the sets, and sell off the rest as singles. Or just contact Strings Direct directly and see if they will package a custom set for you, like bassstringsonline.com does in the USA.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1353602289' post='1876493']
What gauges are you looking for? They seem to be inexpensive enough that you could purchase two or three different sets, assemble the gauges you desire out of each of the sets, and sell off the rest as singles. Or just contact Strings Direct directly and see if they will package a custom set for you, like bassstringsonline.com does in the USA.
[/quote]

I thought about that and StringsDirect dont do custom gauges as I have asked before. I am currently trying out some Picato nickel strings which seems to be the closest so far. I will get a few Legacy sets and compare them to the Picatos.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354139431' post='1882728']
Aren't the Legacy strings supposedly made by Rotosound? If so,they might be your best bet.

Personally,I'd go for the Elites.
[/quote]

Have you tried the Elites nickel strings before? It seems no one on here has lol.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1354141545' post='1882773']
Have you tried the Elites nickel strings before? It seems no one on here has lol.
[/quote]

I haven't,because I don't particularly like nickel strings-I always use steel.

Hello Sir,

I've used Elites Player series strings and a few times and they're very decent, possibly the best nickel strings I've played.

I'm more for steel nowadays but I'd recommend trying them. From your list, I'd also recommend trying Dunlop, very good also.

Cheers.

[quote name='WarrenD' timestamp='1354704600' post='1889270']
Hello Sir,

I've used Elites Player series strings and a few times and they're very decent, possibly the best nickel strings I've played.
[/quote]

I agree, i have been using Elite Player strings for 4 years. I always think there might be another set of strings i would like, but ill stick with what i know. I even got my original bass teacher into them, and i think he'd been using Ernie Balls for like 15 years. :)